Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View I'll ask this here....
8 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 7:39AM #1
Tmarie64

Why have a Hot Topic zone if the mods (Frown) just move the threads when THEY decide they don't want it there any more?

I want to know.... Why are you always moving items out of hot topics?   There's nothing anywhere that says that posts, once you get bored with them, will be moved.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Aug 03, 2009 - 03:03PM
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2009 - 2:02PM #2
DAH54

My understanding of the "Hot Topic Zone" was that it was intended as an area where topics could be given more supervision that perhaps one host felt like devoting to a subject. All "host" have lives outside of Beliefnet, in theory an area with multiple host, should experience "less" conflict with one member and one host... hitting heads if you will.

Again just my limited understanding but I believed that when subjects get too hot they would be moved there, and when they cooled off they would be returned to their home board. That is assuming there was anything of value to return of course.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2009 - 12:41AM #3
Stardove

Jun 29, 2009 -- 7:39AM, Tmarie64 wrote:

Why have a Hot Topic zone if the mods (Frown) just move the threads when THEY decide they don't want it there any more?

I want to know.... Why are you always moving items out of hot topics?   There's nothing anywhere that says that posts, once you get bored with them, will be moved.

Hi DAH, I haven't check in at your group lately.  Surprise me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marie, I hope by now you understand the concept of the Hot Topic Zone.  If not or for another member I will go over what staff wishes that forum to be. 

Current news related topics with links to support the news is what the HTZ was created for.   Basically the moderators were told in the beginning to move any topics in which no posts had been made in a week to another forum or delete.  If you read the guidelines at the HTZ, you will see the threads will be moved to other forums.  The HTZ is a place to start threads and seed other forums at Beliefnet when they are no longer HOT at the forum.

As you know Marie, some threads have continued to be discussed long after they were started.

Lately since Cheryl left Beliefnet, Martha has said rather than delete some threads. which didn't get much attention we can leave rather than delete them.  Bottom line if there is a thread which is a good fit for another forum when there are no current (week old) posts the threads will be moved.

Please feel free to write staff if you believe this is not the way for the forum to be run.  All the moderators just follow instructions on which ever forums we host. 

community@beliefnetstaff.com

Comments about hosting will always get removed.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Aug 03, 2009 - 03:05PM
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2009 - 3:25PM #4
Merope

Jul 19, 2009 -- 2:02PM, DAH54 wrote:

My understanding of the "Hot Topic Zone" was that it was intended as an area where topics could be given more supervision that perhaps one host felt like devoting to a subject. All "host" have lives outside of Beliefnet, in theory an area with multiple host, should experience "less" conflict with one member and one host... hitting heads if you will.

Again just my limited understanding but I believed that when subjects get too hot they would be moved there, and when they cooled off they would be returned to their home board. That is assuming there was anything of value to return of course.

What you're describing, in part, is the Hell forum on Ship of Fools, except that threads moved to Hell on the Ship stay in Hell forever. 

The Hot Topics Zone is not that.  (It's hot ... and so are its members ... but not that hot Tongue out)  Nor does it have anything to do with host-to-member ratios or resolving host-member conflicts.

It's just a forum the scope of which is the discussion of current/breaking news (any kind of news -- international, national, crime, politics, business, entertainment, etc.).  It's a self-sustaining forum in that all of its threads originate there.  It's actually never appropriate to move a thread there from another forum.  When discussion dies down on a thread there, generally the thread is moved to a permanent location on a topically appropriate forum where folks can -- and usually do -- continue the discussion.  So, yes, it's about seeding other forums, too Innocent

It's intended to be a forum for wide-ranging, free-flowing discussion of current/breaking news somewhat on the order of the old Beliefnet mini-boards, with a relaxed ROC standard (site-wide rather than forum-wide) to facilitate the fast flow of discussion.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook