6 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2008 - 4:45PM #1
aimee920
My mom is having gastric bypass surgery today. So many mixed emotions. She's been morbidly obese for over 20 years and was told by her doctor that if she didn't lose a substantial amount of weight, she probably wouldn't live another 10 years (she's 60 now). I am excited about my mom having a second chance at life (a real life). Imagine being only 42 and not being able to simply walk around the mall with your teenage daughter. Imagine being a teenager and not being able to take a walk with your mom. We've lost that time, but I can't wait for the time when I can invite my mom to visit so we can take a walk in on of my area's beutiful parks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 6:19PM #2
cherryred64gto
Cool Cool!!!! You and your mom will be able to do so much together! I was talking to a lady at Curves who had it and when she told us the rules for eating afterward I decided I would rather do it on my own, but your mom probably knows the rules and thinks she can live with them or she would not have decided to do it, so I'm sure she'll be very happy. A lot of restrictions and it seems to me your whole life centers around finding food you can eat and eating so often you would have to pack food and take it wherever you went, that's the impression I got, from this lady, anyway, lots of small meals, very small. I hope her surgery went well. Take care!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 2:35PM #3
aimee920

Yeah, truthfully, my mom wasn't as ecstatic about the surgery as some people are. But, at this point, the years of weight has caused permanent damage to her body. She has tried to do it on her own, but really doesn't have the support she needs at home (not that support from others alone does the trick). She had alot of doubts and I think was frustrated with herself for not being able to lose the weight in a natural way. Fortunately, her dr isn't one who tries to shuffle people on through toward surgery. They worked together for about a year before he finally suggested surgery. If she were younger and/or hasn't been carying the weight around for so long, I believe he would still be pushing her to lose the weight naturally. I think having a dr like that gave her more peace about making the decision to go for it.

btw, surgery went well; she's recovering at home now. just hope people take it easy around her. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 11:08AM #4
cherryred64gto
That's great news! I hope she is able to stick to the recommended eating plan. I know they do a psych evaluation to be sure she can before they do the surgery, so she should be okay. I used to work for a psychology office and we did them for people, that's how I know.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook