6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 9:13AM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Let's try a faith comparison in this thread. How would the different faiths and belief systems of the characters compare to those in real life. For example, would the Klingons most closely represent the Reconstructionists of the future? Was Captain Picard a Christian? What are your thoughts?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 9:01PM #2
jestrfyl

I think the Klingons are clearly messianic in orientation. The Next Gen episode, "Rightful Heir" deals witht he whole question of what happens when the long awaited messiah appears (and turns out to be less than authentic). As to their earthly equivalent, I think they are as forceful as evangelicals but as closed as a bloodline faith.

I do not think that Picard was any more than a cultural "christian". In the episode "Darmok" the book he refers back to for cultural underpinings is the story of Gilgamesh, and not Noah or the Bible. Also he seems to have greater comfort, if not familiarity with Greco/Roman mythology than with Christian theology. I would say he is a humanist, which would seem appropriate for a Star Ship Captain of his era.

Now the interesting question would be how would Riker affiliate himself? He is a "this OR that" kind of character with little room for ambivalences (which may be why he was #1 aand not the captain - until he learned the value subtlety).

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 10:09AM #3
Beliefnetsabee
That's interesting, the Messianic comparison and you make a good point. I think Riker spent a lot of time second-guessing himself.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook