Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which will become a read-only site October 31.

Live in Joy

Saturday, May 2, 2009, 6:59 PM [General]

Live in Joy, In love,
    Even among those who hate.

Live in joy, In health,
    Even among the afflicted.

Live in joy, In peace,
    Even among the troubled.

Look within. Be still.
    Free from fear and attachment,
    Know the sweet joy of living in the way.

There is no fire like greed,
    No crime like hatred,
    No sorrow like separation,
    No sickness like hunger of heart,
    And no joy like the joy of freedom.

Health, contentment and trust
    Are your greatest possessions,
    And freedom your greatest joy.

Look within. Be still.
    Free from fear and attachment,
    Know the sweet joy of living in the way.

from the Dhammapada, Words of the Buddha

0 (0 Ratings)

The 10 suggestions

Friday, May 1, 2009, 3:31 PM [General]

Instead of the 10 commandments, I provide you with the 10 suggestions.  See what you think

The 10 Suggestions

1 Love is God, and should never, be feared

2 Be compassionate to yourself and others

3  We are all part of something larger, therefore we are all interconnected

4   Don't try to be something your are not.  You have everything you need  

5  Your heart is the source of wisdom.  Try to follow your heart in whatever you do. 

6  The world is in constant flux, your belief system, should always be fluid.  Reject all dogma.

7  Be tolerant of those who think, and/or look different then you

8  Try to stay in the moment, the past is dead, and the future will become the present 

9   Be the best person you can, but accept whatever life hands out, without fear or anger 

10   Keep everything new, never lose your sense of wonder.  Try to see the world,  through the eyes of a child  

0 (0 Ratings)

A Classic Koan

Thursday, April 30, 2009, 6:01 PM [General]

One Hand Clapping 

The master of Kennin temple was Mokurai, Silent Thunder. He had a little protege named Toyo who was only twelve years old. Toyo saw the older disciples visit the master's room each morning and evening to receive instruction in sanzen or personal guidance in which they were given koans to stop mind-wandering.

Toyo wished to do sanzen also.

"Wait a while," said Mokurai. "You are too young."

But the child insisted, so the teacher finally consented.

In the evening little Toyo went at the proper time to the threshold of Mokurai's sanzen room. He struck the gong to announce his presence, bowed respectfully three times outside the door, and went to sit before the master in respectful silence.

"You can hear the sound of two hands when they clap together," said Mokurai. "Now show me the sound of one hand."

Toyo bowed and went to his room to consider this problem. From his window he could hear the music of the geishas. "Ah, I have it!" he proclaimed.

The next evening, when his teacher asked him to illustrate the sound of one hand, Toyo began to play the music of the geishas.

"No, no," said Mokurai. "That will never do. That is not the sound of one hand. You've not got it at all."

Thinking that such music might interrupt, Toyo moved his abode to a quiet place. He meditated again.

"What can the sound of one hand be?" He happened to hear some water dripping. "I have it," imagined Toyo.

When he next appeared before his teacher, Toyo imitated dripping water.

"What is that?" asked Mokurai. "That is the sound of dripping water, but not the sound of one hand. Try again."

In vain Toyo meditated to hear the sound of one hand. He heard the sighing of the wind. But the sound was rejected.

He heard the cry of an owl. This also was refused.

The sound of one hand was not the locusts.

For more than ten times Toyo visited Mokurai with different sounds. All were wrong. For almost a year he pondered what the sound of one hand might be.

At last little Toyo entered true meditation and transcended all sounds. "I could collect no more," he explained later, "so I reached the soundless sound."

Toyo had realized the sound of one hand.

0 (0 Ratings)

Thursday, April 30, 2009, 3:35 PM [General]

Many people talk of enlightenment.  But what is it .  Here is a description of enlightenmnet  by OSHO   who was enlightened in 1953. If you are interested, he describes this experience in detail  in My Awakening

Enlightenment is a process of unlearning. It is utter ignorance. But that ignorance is very luminous and your knowledge is very dull. That ignorance is very alive and luminous, and your knowledge is very dark and dead.

Enlightenment is finding that there is nothing to find. Enlightenment is to come to know that there is nowhere to go. Enlightenment is the understanding that this is all, that this is perfect, that this is it. Enlightenment is not an achievement, it is an understanding that there is nothing to achieve, nowhere to go. You are already there -- you have never been away. You cannot be away from there. God has never been missed. Maybe you have forgotten, that's all. Maybe you have fallen asleep, that's all. Maybe you have gotten lost in many, many dreams, that's all -- but you are there. God is your very being.

So the first thing is, don't think about enlightenment as a goal, it is not. It is not a goal; it is not something that you can desire. And if you desire it you will not get it. In desiring a thousand and one things, by and by you come to understand that all desire is futile. Each desire lands you in frustration; each desire again and again throws you into a ditch.

This has been happening for millions of years but again you start hoping, again you start thinking that this new desire that is arising, sprouting in you, will maybe lead you to paradise. That this will give you what you have longed for, that it will fulfill you. Again and again hope arises.

Enlightenment is when all hope disappears. Enlightenment is disappearance of hope.

Don't be disturbed when I say that enlightenment is a state of hopelessness -- it is not negative. Hope arises no more; desire is created no more. Future disappears. When there is no desire there is no need for the future. The canvas of the future is needed for the desire. You paint your desires on the canvas of the future -- when there is nothing to paint, why should you carry the canvas unnecessarily? You drop it. When there is nothing to paint, why should you carry the brush and the color tubes? They come from the past. The canvas comes from the future and the color and brush and technique, and all that, comes from the past. When you are not going to paint you throw away the canvas, you throw away the brush, you throw away the colors -- then suddenly you are here now.

This is what Buddha calls chittakshana -- a moment of awareness, a moment of consciousness. This moment of consciousness can happen any moment. There is no special time for it, there is no special posture for it, there is no special place for it -- it can happen in all kinds of situations. It has happened in all kinds of situations. All that is needed is that for a single moment there should be no thought, no desire, no hope. In that single moment, the lightning....

0 (0 Ratings)

A parable

Wednesday, April 29, 2009, 5:36 PM [General]

The Gift of Insults

There once lived a great warrior. Though quite old, he still was able to defeat any challenger. His reputation extended far and wide throughout the land and many students gathered to study under him.

One day an infamous young warrior arrived at the village. He was determined to be the first man to defeat the great master. Along with his strength, he had an uncanny ability to spot and exploit any weakness in an opponent. He would wait for his opponent to make the first move, thus revealing a weakness, and then would strike with merciless force and lightning speed. No one had ever lasted with him in a match beyond the first move.

Much against the advice of his concerned students, the old master gladly accepted the young warrior's challenge. As the two squared off for battle, the young warrior began to hurl insults at the old master. He threw dirt and spit in his face. For hours he verbally assaulted him with every curse and insult known to mankind. But the old warrior merely stood there motionless and calm. Finally, the young warrior exhausted himself. Knowing he was defeated, he left feeling shamed.

Somewhat disappointed that he did not fight the insolent youth, the students gathered around the old master and questioned him. "How could you endure such an indignity? How did you drive him away?"

"If someone comes to give you a gift and you do not receive it," the master replied, "to whom does the gift belong?"

0 (0 Ratings)

The Mist

Saturday, April 25, 2009, 1:27 PM [General]

html_removed html_removed

Imagine a warm, golden mist, surrounding you body.

This mist seems to have magical qualities. 

It can turn anger into compassion. 

Resentment become forgiveness. 

Any jealousy disappears, because you want nothing All you fears evaporate like the shadows they are

The deepest emotional wounds, are healed For the first time, you see all the beauty, around you.

You feel a sense, of  serenity.  

You feel alive, every minute of the day

No one can take the mist away, it is eternal 

You see people who seem to have nothing, but are blissfull, they have allowed this mist to penetrate them fully, 

This mist  is all around , all we have to do is let it in

this  mist, is the one thing, you can take with you, when your body dies.

As you can guess, this mist is Love

4.1 (2 Ratings)

Friday, April 24, 2009, 8:07 PM [General]

The best of man is like water,
Which benefits all things, and does not contend with them,
Which flows in places that others disdain,
Where it is in harmony with the Way.

So the sage:
Lives within nature,
Thinks within the deep,
Gives within impartiality,
Speaks within trust,
Governs within order,
Crafts within ability,
Acts within opportunity.

He does not contend, and none contend against him.

0 (0 Ratings)

Confessions of a Fruitloop

Friday, April 17, 2009, 11:42 AM [General]

I have CFS   OCD  ASPERGERS   along with a number of physical , and psychological problems.  I have secondary depression, mostly because of the CFS.

Having CFS, it is very difficult for me, to plan ahead for anything.   I never know how I will feel, on any given day

When I do have a good day, my OCD tells me, it won't be long before I crash again, and puts a real damper on what I am doing. I am obsessed with how I feel , and how I will feel in the future.

When I am anxious about an upcoming event ,I worry about getting enough sleep.   When like today I have a bad night, I feel real messed up he next day.  Even the simplest thing become an ordeal.  Rather then enjoying myself, I can wait to get through what I am doing.

As a result I get very little joyout of life, my mind need an overhaul

Aspersers is a form of adult autism and effect the way I deal with people.   I do alright on forums, but not so good in person.

I am not pointing out these problems to play poor baby.  The problem, is that it makes much more difficult to focus in meditation as in every aspect of my life. 

I try to stay focused on the present , but it is hard to keep my thoughts from bouncing off the walls.

I am on medication, but that only helps in a very limited way.

I imagine I am not the only one with problems like this.  I would be interested in how you cope, what works best for you,

0 (0 Ratings)

Zen Wisdom

Wednesday, April 15, 2009, 3:23 PM [General]

The past is already past.

Don't try to regain it.

The present does not stay.

Don't try to touch it.

From moment to moment.

The future has not come;

Don't think about it

Whatever comes to the eye,

Leave it be.