Dance of Life

Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 5:52 PM [General]

Dance Like Nobody Is Watching

Crystal Boyd

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage. We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, are able to go on a nice vacation, when we retire.

The truth is, there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when?

Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway. Alfred D Souza said, "For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."

This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have. And treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time ... and remember that time waits for no one...

So stop waiting until you finish school, until you go back to school, until you lose ten pounds, until you gain ten pounds, until you have kids, until your kids leave the house, until you start work, until you retire, until you get married, until you get divorced, until Friday night, until Sunday morning, until you get a new car or home, until your car or home is paid off, until spring, until summer, until fall, until winter, until you are off welfare, until the first or fifteenth, until your song comes on, until you've had a drink, until you've sobered up, until you die, until you are born again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy...

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

0 (0 Ratings)

Ignorance Can be Bliss

Monday, November 30, 2009, 4:08 PM [General]

Human beings seem very afraid of uncertainty,  the biggest uncertainty being death.

It is this uncertainty about death, that is one of the primary reasons for  religions.

If we have a holy book, that tells us, how we should behave, in order to have a good afterlife, this relieves a lot of anxiety.

It also allows you to feel Superior to those who do not believe as you do. 

So the religious person  feels he has certainty about the unknown, and has their ego stroked, at the same time.

Why is it so hard to say I don't know, when it comes to the supernatural.  I freely admit that I am ignorant, and that there are many things I don't know.  I don't know what will happen when I die,  or whether there is a God.

Such uncertainty makes life a mystery.  You focus on this life, and try to get the most out of it. 

When you die, you may find the answer to mysteries, that the living will never know.  There is no need obsessing on it. during this life.

To paraphrase Howard Beale. the mad prophet of the airways, in Network

GET UP, GET OUT OF YOUR CHAIR, OPEN THE WINDOW,  AND SHOUT:  LIFE IS A MYSTERY, AND I'M GOING TO ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

3.7 (1 Ratings)

The Way of Enlightenemnt

Friday, November 27, 2009, 6:19 PM [General]

What is the difference between an enlightened person and the rest of us.  

The enlightenment man lives in the moment. 

He has not fears, or desires, because they come from living in the future.

He feel no anger, because he does not dwell on the past, or transform past events into the future

The ego cannot survive, when one is in the moment.

Think about it.

We are taught to focus on our breath in meditation, because that keeps us in the present.

Eventually, if you practice, you will be able to remain in the moment, regardless of what you are doing.

When your life become a constant meditation, you are awake,  you are able to see reality without  misconceptions.

YOU ARE FREE

0 (0 Ratings)

Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 5:31 PM [General]

0 (0 Ratings)

The 10 Suggestions

Friday, November 20, 2009, 5:20 PM [General]

On my last blog, I talked about religion without fear

Such a religion would not have commandants

Instead I give you the ten suggestions,

God is love. and should never be feared

Show compassion towards  everyone, including yourself

Live in the moment,  the past is dead, and the future will become the moment

Accept yourself, unconditionally

Realize that you will make mistakes, it is no reason to feel guilty

True wisdom, comes from the heart, always follow your heart

Don't be afraid of what others think,  No one can hurt you, unless you let them

You will always know, a small fraction of you don't know,  Never be boastfull, or egotisical

You are connected to all other beings

There is great beauty, and wisdom within you

0 (0 Ratings)

Fear and Religion

Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 4:16 PM [General]

This journal entry, is not meant as an indictment of Christianity, but a desire to remove fear fear  from religion

In the beginning, Man created God, in his image. 

Instead of creating a compassionate God, he  created one, with all our worst faults.

God seems more like Hitler, or Stalin,

Consider, that if there is an all powerful, all knowing God, he could have created man, any way he wanted.

God created man with major imperfections, knowing full well, what would happen

Despite this knowledge, God chooses to punish, those who believe a certain way, and reward those, who behave as he wishes

Everyone will exist eternally either in heaven or hell (Daniel 12:2,3; Matthew 25:46; John 5:28; Revelation 20:14,15).

Though the majority of people are not Christians, those who do not believe that Christ is God, are destined for Hell.  

Hell will also punish the sin of those who reject Christ (Matthew 13:41,50; Revelation 20:11-15; 21:8).

You have not chance to redeem yourself, once you are in hell

Hell is eternal and irreversible.

• Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”

• Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

• Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”

Many Christians say God is love, and A loving God would not send people to a horrible hell.

What does the Bible say?

Even those, who have not heard of Christ, are accountable.   Somehow billions of  imperfect human beings, choose to go to Hell. 

In a convolution of logic, God is not responsible for sending man to eternal torment, despite the fact, that he is that is all knowing, and all powerful.   

If such a God exists, he is responsible for

EVERYTHING

So like rats, millions of people, are controlled though a system of reward and punishment.

In the other major organized religions, the names are changed, but the concept, is very similar

Is this the best we can do?

Luckily more, and more people, choose to  leave such absurd belief systems, and think for themselves.

Perhaps one day,  man will create a compassionate, forgiving God.  One who would rather be loved. then feared.

Or better yet, he will no longer require an external god, but will see the Divine Within.

Then we could have a true heaven on earth

0 (0 Ratings)

Friday the 13th

Friday, November 13, 2009, 4:29 PM [General]

Lock your doors and stay inside, the unluckiest of days is upon us, Friday the 13th. Superstition dictates that only a fool would start a journey, get married, make financial decisions, or take risks on this day because they are sure to end in disaster.

The fear of Friday the 13th is rooted in two long held fears, the fear of Fridays and the fear of the number 13. Individually they are bad enough but combined are enough to make the superstitious not even contemplate getting out of bed for the day. Particularly superstitious people may become so fearful that they develop a debilitating phobia about the number 13 (triskaidekaphobia) or Friday the 13th (paraskavedekatriaphobia or

friggatriskaidekaphobia).

But where does all this fear come from? There is no single event that one can point to and definitively say this is where it all started. But there are quite a few events that have occurred related to the number 13, or on a Friday, or worst of all on Friday the 13th, that have contributed to our collective superstition.

The Church

Nothing has colored Western civilization more than the Church. Christian dogma teaches that Cain slew Abel on a Friday the 13th. Eve tempted Adam with forbidden fruit on a Friday. The great flood began on a Friday. Judas, the 13th guest at the last supper, betrayed Jesus leading to his crucifixion on, yes, a Friday.

Friday, October 13, 1307 is the most well known Friday the 13th in history. On this date hundreds, or perhaps even thousands, of Knights Templar, an order of warrior monks, were rounded up on the selfish and politically motivated orders of King Philip IV of France and subsequently tortured into admitting heresies including spitting on the cross, idolatry, "unnatural vices", and devil worship. 

Jacques de Molay, the last known Grand Master of the Knights Templar was burned to death on a slow fire outside Notre Dame on Friday, March 13, 1314. As he slowly burned he cursed King Philip IV of France, Pope Clemence V, and Prime Minister Guillaume de Nogaret to death within a year and 13 generations of their families to misery.  The subsequent deaths of King Philip, Pope Clemence V, and Prime Minister Guillaume within a year and the populace's belief that de Molay's curse also applied to them led many to fear the number 13 and Friday the 13th in particular.

The Church's suppression of pagan beliefs and general misogynism also played a role in the perpetuation of fear of the number 13 and Fridays.

There are 12 months in the solar-based Julian and the Church-created Gregorian calendars, a perfect, male number. Many pagan religions followed a 13-month lunar calendar, which also corresponds with the female menstrual cycle, an imperfect, female, number. In the Roman and later Norse calendars, Friday was devoted to the love and sex goddesses Venus and Frigg (or Freyja), respectively, and was considered a lucky and even sacred day.

Traditionally, there were considered to be 13 members in a witch's coven - 12 witches and the devil. Together they celebrated 13 Witches' Sabbaths where they cast spells and spread evil throughout the countryside. These strong female/pagan, and therefore unholy, associations posed a threat to the male-dominated and power hungry Holy Catholic church. 

As mentioned earlier, Judas was the 13th guest at the last supper and that dinner party didn't have the luckiest consequences. The idea that having 13 guests at a gathering is unlucky is not uncommon. In Norse mythology 12 gods were invited to a banquet in Valhalla. Loki, alternately known as the Evil One and god of mischief, was not invited but he attended anyway wreaking havoc by inciting Hod, the blind god of winter, to attack Balder the Good with a spear tipped with mistletoe. Balder died and the Earth darkened in mourning.  In France people made themselves available as professional guests, quatorziens or fourteeners, just to avoid any potential problems if only 13 guests showed up.

Modern History

Many non-religion related events have reinforced our collective fear either consciously or unconsciously.

One that is often cited as proof of the unluckiness of the number 13 was the ill fated Apollo 13 mission to the moon. Apollo 13 was launched on April 11, 1970 or 11/4/70, which when added together equal 13 (4+11+70=85 8+5=13). Although launched from Florida, the time of launch at Mission Control in Houston, TX was 13:13 CST. Failure of the number 2 oxygen tank occurred on April 13th at 02:08:53.555 UTC, which when converted to the Eastern time zone is 9:08:53.555 and equals 13 (9+8+53+555=625 6+2+5=13). Finally it's estimated that had the explosion happened prior to launch the bill for repairing the damage would have been $13 million.

Other disastrous events include "Black Friday", Friday, July 31, 1987, when a F4 tornado ripped through Edmonton and killed 27 and injured more than 300. The Great Flood, Friday, July 13, 1951, which flooded over 2 million acres in Kansas, caused $760 million in damages and killed 24 people. The "Good Friday" earthquake, Friday, March 27, 1964, the largest Earthquake in North America's recorded history, struck Prince William Sound killed 131 and was felt around the world. A smaller quake hit Erzincan, Turkey on Friday March 13, 1992 and unofficially killed as many as 2,000 people and left another 50,000 homeless.

Famous people with unfortunate links to Friday the 13th include Al Capone who was arrested and sentenced to jail on Friday 13th, Tupac Shakur who was killed in Las Vegas on Friday the 13th, Benny Goodman, the King of Swing, who died on Friday, June 13th, 1986, and the 38th Vice President of the United States, Hubert Humphrey who died on January 13, 1978.

Last but certainly not least there is the Friday the 13th series of horror movies. Certainly enough to make anyone think twice about spending any night at Crystal Lake let alone on specific nights of the year.

It's All Hooey?

Most superstitions don't have much if any basis in reality. Just because hundreds of 14th century knights were tortured on Friday the 13th and a biblical flood happened on a Friday, and Apollo 13 nearly ended its mission in tragedy doesn't mean evil has any particular grip on one day of the week, month, or year. Disasters strike somewhere every day of the year.

However, there is evidence to suggest that Friday the 13th is actually unlucky for some. Psychologists have found that some people are especially likely to have accidents or fall ill on Friday the 13th. This has been attributed to such people feeling a heightened state of anxiety on that day.  Similarly women drivers may have to be particularly careful on Friday the 13th as one study suggests there may be a 64% increase in the risk of death on Friday the 13th. 

So if you aren't the superstitious sort and like to thumb your nose at fate you may want to consider having a Friday the 13th party. Just invite 12 of your closest friends over and make a night of breaking mirrors, opening umbrellas indoors, and letting black cats cross your path. Just make sure your female guests don't drive.

13 Interesting Facts

1 Belief that the number 13 is unlucky is the most common Western superstition.
    2 Every month has a 13th but no single year has more than three Friday the 13th's and on average there are two.
    3 Months with a Friday the 13th always begin on a Sunday.
    4 It is from the Norse goddess Frigg, or Freyja, that we get Frigg's Day, or Freyja's Day which became the English Friday.
    5  Black Sabbath's self-titled first album was released in the UK on Friday, February 13, 1970 and I will be listening to it on this Friday the 13th.
    6  In a traditional hangman's noose there are 13 twists of the rope and 13 steps to the gallows.
     7 There is no 13th Avenue in San Francisco, instead Funston Avenue is between 12th and 14th Avenues. There is however a 13 Street. It's covered by the Central Skyway making it one of the darkest and ugliest streets in San Francisco. 
    8  In Formula 1, there is no car with the number 13. The number has been removed after two drivers were killed in crashes — both driving cars numbered 13.
    9  According to Dr. Donald Dossey, founder of the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, more than 80% of high-rises lack a 13th floor.
    10   Infamous murderers Charles Manson, Harold Shipman, Frederick West, Saddam Hussein, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Theodore Bundy, and Jack the Ripper each have 13 letters in their names.
    11   Women drivers have a 64% increased chance of death when driving on Friday the 13th. 
    12     Folklore remedies for triskaidekaphobia include climbing to the top of a mountain or skyscraper and burning all the socks you own that have holes in them. Another is to stand on your head and eat a piece of gristle. 
    13   According to at least one interpretation of the Mayan calendar the world will end on 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.0.0.0.0 or in the Gregorian calendar, Friday, October 13, 4772. 

HTML clipboard

0 (0 Ratings)

Please Listen

Monday, November 9, 2009, 7:51 PM [General]

When I ask you to listen to me
    and you start giving me advice,
    you have not done what I asked.

and you begin to tell me why I shouldn't feel that way,
    you are trampling on my feelings.

and you feel you have to do something
    to solve my problem,
    you have failed me, strange as that may seem.

Listen!
    All I ask is that you listen.
    Don't talk or do - just hear me.
    Advice is cheap - 20 cents will get you both
    Dear Abby and Billy Graham in the same newspaper.
    And I can do for myself; I am not helpless.
    Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can
    and need to do for myself,
    you contribute to my fear and inadequacy.
    But when you accept as a simple fact
    that I feel what I feel, no matter how irrational,
    then I can stop trying to convince you
    and get about this business of understanding
    what's behind this irrational feeling.
    And when that's clear, the answers are obvious
    and I don't need advice.
    Irrational feelings make sense
    when we understand what's behind them.

Perhaps that's why prayer works - sometimes -
    for some people, because God is mute.
    and he doesn't give advice or try to fix things.
    God just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.

So please listen, and just hear me.
    And if you want to talk,
    wait a minute for your turn,
    and I will listen to you.

0 (0 Ratings)

The Stonecutter by Benjamin Hoff

Sunday, November 8, 2009, 5:15 PM [General]

There was once a stonecutter who was dissatisfied with himself and with his position in life.

One day, he passed a wealthy merchant's house and through the open gateway saw many fine possessions and important visitors.

"How powerful that merchant must be!" thought the stonecutter. He became very envious, and wished that he could be like the merchant. Then he would no longer have to live the life of a mere stonecutter.

To his great surprise, he suddenly became the merchant, enjoying more luxuries and power than he had ever dreamed of, envied and detested by those less wealthy than himself. But soon a high official passed by, carried in a sedan chair, accompanied by attendants, and escorted by soldiers beating gongs. Everyone, no matter how wealthy, had to bow low before the procession.

"How powerful that official is!" he thought. "I wish that I could be a high official!"

Then he became the high official, carried everywhere in his embroidered sedan chair, feared and hated by the people all around, who had to bow down before him as he passed. It was a hot summer day, and the official felt very uncomfortable in the sticky sedan chair. He looked up at the sun. It shone proudly in the sky, unaffected by his presence.

"How powerful the sun is!" he thought. "
    I wish that I could be the sun!"

Then he became the sun, shining fiercely down on everyone, scorching the fields, cursed by the farmers and labourers. But a huge black cloud moved between him and the earth, so that his light could no longer shine on everything below.

"How powerful that storm cloud is!" he thought. "I wish that I could be a cloud!"

Then he became the cloud, flooding the fields and villages, shouted at by everyone. But soon he found that he was being pushed away by some great force, and realized that it was the wind.

"How powerful it is!" he thought. "I wish that I could be the wind!"

Then he became the wind, blowing tiles off the roofs of houses, uprooting trees, hated and feared by all below him. But after a while, he ran up against something that would not move, no matter how forcefully he blew against it -- a huge, towering stone.

"How powerful that stone is!" he thought. "I wish that I could be a stone!"

Then he became the stone, more powerful than

anything else on earth.

But as he stood there, he heard the sound of a hammer pounding a chisel into the solid rock and felt himself being changed.

"What could be more powerful than I, the stone?" he thought.

He looked down and saw far below him the figure of a stonecutter.

0 (0 Ratings)

Divine Mantra

Saturday, November 7, 2009, 6:42 PM [General]

Oh Divine Universe,
    gather together to form
    one great ball of light
    and allow it to come forth
    with my Divinity.

Let the power surge of energy
    enter my center core
    and rejuvenate all that is ailing.
    That which I can see and feel
    and that which I cannot.
    Let it mend cell by cell,
    getting rid of what is toxic
    to my human form and its tissue.

Let each beam of energy
    run fierce through my veins
    and purify them,
    exiting out of each digit
    on my hands and feet.
    Let it shine out
    through the top of my crown
    to the limitless sky.

Allow recharging energy
    to my center core.
    Out with the toxic,
    in with Divine Energy...
    rejuvenating,
    warmth,
    purity.

Oh Divine Energy,
    my soul is open to you...
    come and sit in my core,
    Let rings of bright golden light
    circle my feet, hands, limbs body,
    neck and head.
    Over and over from the center core
    and outward,
    from feet to crown.

Out with the toxic,
    in with the healing Divine Energy.
    Refreshed,
    renewed,
    relaxed,
    breathing slowly.

Oh Goddess,
    wrap me in your Divinity
    and warm glow.

Mother Nature,
    grab hold of my ankles
    and keep me grounded.

May the trees keep me balanced and steady
    and the sky, day or night humble, and dreamy.

Breathe... 

reaching up to the sky,
    feet firmly on the ground.
    feeling the warm glow on my head,
    I am whole.
    A part of the sky,
    the stars,
    the heavens of far away
    and a part of the ground,
    its grasses trees and roots.
    A part of all living things
    All that is breathing.