The concept Self Care is a topic that most people on many levels can identify with. The problem is that, the concept is so broad, it means different things to different people. When I write on self care, I am dealing with the conversation or topic that concerns how am I taking care of myself? What efforts am I consciously making on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to re-energize my mental, physical, spiritual resources?
I believe that most people don't recognize the importance of regeneration or renewal of ourselves on a regular basis. We understand the concept of having to replace our cars with gas and oil because if we don't , the car will not run properly, if at all over a certain period of time. We understand the concept of having to replace our refrigerator with food at certain times because we run low, or out of certain items such as milk, eggs, lunch meat, juice, etc. Most of us even understand that our refrigerators must also be cleaned out to run efficiently and to keep our food properly stored.
Unfortunately we don't always have good concepts about our mental and physical health. We run our bodies down down down with unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, lack of proper rest, often not taking medications properly, allowing our minds to constantly focus on negativity, allowing stress to take over or minds and bodies, and the list can be endless. I think you get the point.
I want to share some techniques and ideas that over time have proven effective on my journey of self care:
1. Slow down and breath.
2. Consciously replace negative thought with positive affirmations.
3. Be yourself, it may feel unconfortable or scarry but do it anyway.
4. If you don't know who you are, be willing to learn.
5. Learn how to laugh at yourself.
6. Chose to be around people who celebrate you.
7. Realize it's okay to be happy.
8. Take time to care about others.
9. It's never too late to reinvent yourself if you don't like what you see.
10. Believe that you are worthy and deserving of all that life has to offer.