Switch to Forum Live View How to check for website safety before you click on that link
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 10:41AM #1
Agnosticspirit

Howdy all, a valued member inadvertently provided a link in one of his posts to a well-known website --- msnbc.msn.com. 

Had another valued member not reported that this link contained embedded virus within the graphics, I would not have been prompted to run that site through AVG Threat Labs.  Potentially active threats were reported.

The largest percentage of threats originate from offers to download a free video, allowing malware to nestle into your system. A smaller percentage doesn't require any clicks at all, although it's unknown which page on msnbc.msn.com present a threat. 

Plugged in Beliefnet.com. Our website reports clean. 

This is an easy mistake any of us could make. I generally assume that large sites like this are relatively safe; so much for assuming. Any links I post in the future will be swept through AVG Threat Labs beforehand; I encourage other members to do the same.

Any other tips and expertise are welcome. 

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 11:03AM #2
Ur2

As,

Thanks for the prompt action. It was I who made the OP in question and apologize for any inconvenience. I can assure everyone reading this that it was purely unintentional and that the link scanned free of malware on the date of it's posting. The best defense against this type of activity is following your advice here and making sure you have your PC updated and incorporate strong Anti-Virus software.

Keep up the good work.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 11:16AM #3
Agnosticspirit

Thanks for jumping in Ur2... Can you help us understand why videos are more susceptible to malware than other links? 

Is there potential for Youtube videos  and musical clips to act as carriers for virus?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 12:33PM #4
Ur2

AS,

ANY type of video, slideshow or sound production brought forward has the added potential of malware. Back in the early days of PC-dom, all we had was FTP (File Transfer Protocol). This is the protocol of true words-only messaging. No pictures, no pasted-in pics, no added in HTML materials of any kind. In other words, nothing but words. I'm sure you remember this.

But since we've incorporated graphics, videos, sound and the like into our computing experience... all of this material which makes these add-ons happen has opened our computers to hacks from all of these sources.

A computer has 65,536 Ports built into it's software from which we recieve and transmit infomation to and from outside. Your mouse, keyboard, camera, monitor, etc. all have ports. Some of these ports are used for networking. Email, FTP, HTTP (WWW), etc. all take up a separate port. You only open your computer email ports (two-Send & Recieve) when you log into your Email account, then they close. Same with every other aspect of the modern computing experience.

When video, graphics and sound were made available on-line; well, these ports had to open also. Because the information recieved over video and the such is soooo much more intensive versus just words, it has opened the door for hacks to insert their malware more discreetly into the legal software. The rest of us are dependant upon each other for reporting the problems (as is the case here) and keeping our own personal machines up to date from Microsoft and Apple AND keeping our Anti-Virus software up to date. There is a great deal of personal responsibility placed on the individual user and sadly this is the weak link in any network. Sort of like a drunk driver.

Applause for your work and please get back with me on this and any PC issue I may help with.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 9:25PM #5
RenGalskap

Oct 30, 2010 -- 11:16AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

...why videos are more susceptible to malware than other links?

I don't know that they are more susceptible than other links. However, they are more likely to attract attention than many other types of links, so you can spread malware faster with a link that says "Sexy exercise video!" than one that says "Stock market quotes!". People who want to spread malware try to create links that people are likely to click, or to add their malware to sites that are already popular.

Oct 30, 2010 -- 11:16AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Is there potential for Youtube videos and musical clips to act as carriers for virus?

Of course. Any file can contain a virus. Word processors generally can't execute computer code, so text files are usually safe, even if they contain virus code.

Google does make an effort to prevent infected videos from being posted on YouTube. YouTube is probably safer than other sites that offer videos. But Google can't absolutely guarantee that YouTube has no infected videos.

BTW, ftp is used to transfer all types of files, not just text files. You can get infected files by using ftp just as easily as you can get them by any other method.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook