Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Tired of the full page ads that force you to press SKIP?
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 3:53PM #11
river8101

I've been posting at B Net since they started about 10 years ago.  They've had 3 major forums.  The first was the longest.  It was very easy to post on, no ads and simple to use. 

The 2nd forum lasted about a year.  It was more colorful, but basically it was much like the first forum, with a few extra bonusus. I liked it.

Then came this third forum.  Besides the fact that most of the time it didn't work right, and it took months before it did, the ads kept coming.  This latest one is a big red stop sign right on the forum itself, followed by pictures of homeless children.  In the beginning it was just pix of the children and that wasn't so bad.  I would stop and look at them, but then came the big red STOP SIGN came right over top the forum and you had to wait till it floated away leaving the pix of the children.  This has got to be the worst.  I haven't found anyway to get rid of it. I noticed that many posters have left the forums that I posted on when this latest forum came on with all of it's difficulties.  I too don't post here very often anymore.  I used to post everyday, but there's few people to talk to anymore.  Most of them have gone on to another forum.  I can't say I blame them.  They don't have any ads.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 2:13PM #12
Stardove

River, I know what you are saying is true about the members dropping out of here like flies.  I have also been around for at least ten years.

What I have found is using XP and Firefox 3 I do not see the ad you are talking about.  Now if I'm on my laptop with Vista even with Firefox 3, I can get those full page ads which take over the entire page.

What I conclude from this is the operating system and the browser do make a difference in what ads we get on Beliefnet.  I also have the pop-up stoppers on. 

I have a Windows 7 disk which was mailed after purchasing my husband's computer.  So far I haven't done the "upgrade".  I don't want to mess with my desktop's XP operating system, since I like the way it performs.  Last time I checked my laptop was not yet compatible with Windows 7.  If that changes I will install the Windows 7. 

Husband does good to play chess against the computer and get on Facebook, so I really don't see a need to "upgrade" his computer.

If you haven't tried Firefox browser you might give that a try and see if things improve.  Just remember the operating system also makes a difference in our viewing.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2010 - 9:38PM #13
Agnosticspirit

Hi River, I see that big red stop sign you mentioned when I'm using Safari... it's pretty obnoxious to be sure...

With Mozilla Firefox and the NOSCRIPT, I do not see this. Give it a try, it might help. I'm pretty tired of the tummy ads as well... vulgar and in poor taste at best, downright harmful at worst. There are a lot of vulnerable people here on Bnet, many who already have a negative self-image, some who are addicted, others depressed and grieving... Ads like that are just wrong.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 6:24AM #14
river8101

I use Mozilla Firefox, and a Mac, but not Safari, and I don't know what No Script is or how to use it.  Need more info about that.  That STOP SIGN is driving me nuts!  It just stays there about 10 seconds, and then slowly floats away and another sign comes up with children on it.  I don't mind just the children, as that came on before the Stop Sign, but now, it's both, and I don't even look at the children, I just sit and wait for that damn Stop Sign to float away.  And it takes it's time.  Comes on every single time I click or edit or make a correction or for any reason at all I have to click.  HELP!  What is No Script!  riv

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 6:35AM #15
river8101
Agnostic Spirit,

I just installed No Script, and the Stop Sign went away!  For now.  The screen looks a little different but I sure hope that stop sign goes away for good.  riv  Thanks a lot.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 6:57AM #16
river8101
UNfortunately, by doing that, it messed up my Facebook.  Now what?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2010 - 11:06AM #17
Agnosticspirit

Hi River, copying and pasting my response to your comments about Noscript posted from another forum for the benefit of other users. Sorry it didn't work out for you, it does require some intervention to allow some scripts to run in order for websites to operate properly. I'm a bit of a "tinkerer", so I don't mind the additional steps but I can understand why this option isn't for everyone.

I just wish Bnet and other sites that depend upon Ad revenue would recognize that obnoxious ads that block functionality are worse than no ads at all. Companies that post these kinds of ads, or depend upon SPAM to obtain business sure as HELL won't get MY business! Yell

Response I copied from another forum below:

Hi River, that's the "training portion" of NOSCRIPT. When you approach a new website (as far as noscript is concerned) you do have to tell NOSCRIPT which scripts are permitted.

For facebook, I told it to permit scripts from facebook by clicking on the little S at the lower right corner.. All available scripts are listed in the menu when you do this. I said Yes to facebook.com, YES to fbcdn.net and facebook runs great.

The first time I tried to run Youtube after installing this, I had to allow Youtube.com to display the video.  I've noticed after the last update of NOSCRIPT I had to train it all over again...That was a little irritating; would have hoped settings would be saved so the training doesn't have to be repeated.

Noscript can be a little annoying because some websites won't work until their scripts are run..... I guess it's a question of which is more annoying? The ads or the noscript that blocks the ads?Sorry this didn't work for you but if the solution is worse than the problem, you did the right thing for you by turning it off.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2010 - 9:14PM #18
RenGalskap
I started using privoxy a few years before I joined Bnet. I've never seen an ad at Bnet. I've used privoxy with IE, FF, and Opera. I've used had it running on Unix systems and Windows up to and including XP. Privoxy is highly configurable, but I just use the default settings. Install it, go to your browser's preferences and tell it to use IP address 127.0.0.1, port 8118 as a proxy, and you're good to go. No further configuration or training needed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook