6 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 11:05PM #1
meowser

I have a major bugaboo.  I absolutely hate it when I hear someone say, "I'll never be a perfect size four or six."  What is so darned "perfect" about a four, a six or a zero for that matter?!

I just shows another way that automatic language and socialization affects us and our self-concepts. By making the statement that a certain size is perfection we are being set up, or setting ourselves up, to fail.

I say let's ban the phrase "perfect size" from our language. 

=^..^= 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 11:54PM #2
meowser

I really think this is a topic worth discussing, so I'm moving it up.

Have anyone else given the concept of "perfect" any thought? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 10, 2008 - 2:00AM #3
HoneyMom

Shoot when I was a size 8 which was pretty skinny for me. I was not in perfect shape at that size.  both sides of the body will never match. Our ears are not at the same level our hair grows differently on both sides of our heads and one leg may even be longer than the other. I think it is impossable to be a perfect size, so I totally agree with you.

HoneyMom

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 11, 2008 - 3:28AM #4
Ethelq5
for me there's no such thing as "perfect size"...

...you'll only look good on something when you feel good and you're confident about it...

...so whatever size you're wearing...it doesn't matter as long as you can "carry" it...

..."feel pretty, stay pretty"...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 1:03AM #5
meowser
I say that we're already the perfect us.  What could be more perfect than that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 2:08PM #6
bearakuda

I think the perfect size is when we feel perfectly comfortable as what size we are. BUT - you are so right that sadly it means most of us feel that the perfect size is model size. I think we should go for closer to the doctor's healthy weight for us, give or take a little if we are more comfortable being say a bit curvyier or slimmer, as long as we are still there in the healthy range.

I know I am overweight by medical standards and my own. My ideal weight should be about 130, but I think I would be just fine around 150 to 160. Im 209 right now, the least I have been since I had my daughter almost 4 years ago. I have lots to lose but i have lost 8 pounds now in 2 weeks from simply exercising by cleaning at my new job. I now plan to add lots of water, but not do to much else different to start.

Meowser I have to agree that we are already perfect. But I think all of us here have a few things that we want to change to feel healthier.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 11:17PM #7
meowser

Or...we're all perfectly imperfect!!  It's just funny how we use language without really listening to ourselves and the subtle, and not so subtle, messages that we send ourselves.  

Positive affirmations are really powerful.  If you believe that you are some way, you are.  If your self-image is that you are fit, athletic, slim, etc., etc., that is the way you life your life and the way you make your choices.  That's one reason it can be so difficult to maintain a weightloss.  If you never reconcile yourself to the new body you can wend your way back to the previous one. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook