Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 12:31PM #41
angelmo

TRUSTING GOD

He rained down on them manna to eat, and gave them the grain of heaven. Mortals ate of the bread of angels; he sent them food in abundance.—Psalm 78:24, 25

I know God will supply what I need—but that isn't ever enough for me. I want more. I overeat, or I eat the wrong things, or both, and I think God wants me to look at what that behavior means.
I'm like one of the children of Israel in the wilderness. God sends me manna and I ask for meat; God sends meat, and I want a banana split. And at the core of all this asking and wanting is the mysterious fear that somehow I won't have enough—so I eat as much as I can whenever food is around..
Manna was good for only one day; you couldn't stock up on it because it spoiled. I think God is showing me that I'm saving my manna as body fat, which is spoiling my health, my appearance, and my dignity. What I have to do now is really believe that God wants the best for me.

FOR FURTHER REFLECTION 1. Are you willing to let God satisfy your needs today? 2. Do you trust God to guide you about food? 3. Can you remember to gather God's love anew each morning,and not try to store it up?

God, I need to believe You will take care of my relationship with food. Teach me real trust. Amen

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 11:11PM #42
Kathy Smith

Hi Dunnel! I am so proud of you!  I saw your post on the other link too!  We all are super happy and want to thank you for being such an inspiration....and such a giver...your contributions have been lovely! Thank you!

xo Kathy (: 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2008 - 10:13AM #43
angelmo

Kathy- I was hoping that once again you could help direct me. I was wondering if you could recommend a book or website that can help me figure out the calories on some food items. Not everything comes with the nutrition label on it. and I was hoping that there was something out there that cuold help me count my calories better.

For example: we had a chuck beef roast last night for dinner, I made it in the crock-pot with onions and carrots. When it came time to figure out the calories for the meat I had no idea how much it was cause the package didn't say. I had a a 6 oz piece of meat and I figured 350 calories for it.

I noticed at the store that fresh foods of any type doesn't come with a label like fruits, veggies or meat so how does a person  know how many calories are in a serving? So if you know of a book I should get or a website I would very much appreciate it. Thanks again for your help and for the encouragement.

Dunnel (angelmo)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2008 - 7:43PM #44
Kathy Smith

Hi Dunnel! I have a program that I use when I want that information through McGraw Hill Higher Education.  I purchased a text called Nutrition for Health, Fitness and Sport by Melvin Williams, and for an extra fee I got the On-Line Nutrition Calculator Plus.  There is a CDROM version too.  McGraw Hill is located in New York. You might be able to find the text at a university too....and if you do not want the text with the ability to buy the on-line capabilities, if you call McGraw Hill they might just sell it separately...I don't know. There are more books out there I am sure, but that is what I use currently.  If I come across anything in the next few days I will let you know...I will definitely keep it in mind. Something more user friendly than what I use would be great, but I do like what I use--NOW that I know how to use it!

xo Kathy (: 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2008 - 1:05AM #45
MiscMayzee

Hey Dunnel,

I wasn't looking for it, but a few weeks ago at our library I saw a book titled Food Values of Portions Commonly Used by Jean A.T. Pennington and Helen Nichols Church.  (This is apparently a volume that comes out every year or two, as there are several different editions.)  Anyway, I checked it out and it is the Holy Grail of Food information.  It has calories per serving, fat grams, cholesterol, and vitamins and minerals.  It's a totally awesome book.

The newest edition is kind of pricey at $40.00 - $60.00 on Amazon, but I got my copy of the fourteenth edition very cheaply - and since I wanted it to reference fresh food like veggies and not box meals (this thing has cake mixes and the like in it as well) I don't really need the new edition. 

An example of a food I buy at the store without nutrition info attached - a rutabaga.  The book tells me that 1/2 a cup of diced, cooked rutabaga is 35 kcal - easy as pie.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2008 - 12:25PM #46
angelmo

Thanks so much for the information MiscMayzee & Kathy - I will have to check and see if the library might have these books  or I will check out Amazon. Thanks!! I'm just tired of trying to guess the calories especially now, I don't want to short change myself or go over my calorie count. I have been doing so good and I want to stay on track.

Speaking of standing on track, once again I have to go out of town for a few days so keep me in your prayers. I need extra strength when I'm on the road. Eating while traveling is one of my pitfalls. It's so easy to eat junky. I am going to try hard to not snack and eat subway or salads. I have planned a few snacks like apples and nuts for the road just to keep me from stopping at the gas-stations and snacking bad.

Thanks so much for your support everyone and for your endless encouragement.

God Bless You, DUNNEL

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 12:36AM #47
Kathy Smith

Hi MiscMayzee! I used to have an older edition of that book! It was very good. I don't know what I did with it....probably was given away when I moved a few years ago...but when I heard the title I was reminded about it.  Thanks for the tip!

Hi Dunnel! You will do great. Have a plan on the road.  Stick to it.  Take your fruit and nuts, have bottled water available so you don't get trapped into soda, or even diet soda, which can trigger cravings.  

Have a great trip!  xo Kathy (: 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 12:31PM #48
angelmo

Well I made it back from visit some family. We had a nice visit. As for how I did well that wasn't so good. I didn't eat that often but when I did eat I ate more than I should probably have. We would eat breakfast and a late dinner each day so by the time dinner rolled around I was pretty hungry. It's hard when you are at someone else's house and you do things on their schedules. I thought that I did okay only eating twice a day but I guess not cause the scale shows me up to 196.5 now. I am hoping it's partly because of salt bloat and water weight.

I have a plan to flush my system and get it back in order. I will just have to work at staying on track and getting my exercise in. I wasn't able to exercise at all during our trip we were always on the go driving from one person's house to another. I'm use to riding my bike or walking at least once a day.

Lord, give me your strength to keep me focused and get myself back on track. Through your help I know that nothing can keep me down. Remind me when I am weak to look to You for the will to go on. Thank You for being by my side and helping me through this journey. Amen

Thanks Kathy- you are a great help also.

Dunnel

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 5:56PM #49
Kathy Smith

Hi Dunnel! It's nice to have you back. It is very hard to travel and stay on track.  You did well, and now you are back on plan.  You will feel back to normal in a day or two.  After a good day of eating cleanly and getting some exercise you will feel much better.  

I hope you are having a beautiful day!

xo Kathy (: 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 11:01AM #50
angelmo

I have noticed some thing since my return home and maybe you can answer this question for me: My body and skin doesn't appear to be as firm as it was before my trip. Is this because I stopped exercising for those three days? My arms and legs feel more jiggly to me and not as tight. Does this mean I can't skip a day of working out?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook