Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2008 - 12:16PM #1
angelmo

I have to say thank you for having this group. I have been in the battle of my weight and body image for years and nothing has worked for long. I have went up and down the scale so many times that I have wore off the numbers. I believe that this time will be different though, cause I am partnering with the Lord. It says in Matthew 19:26 "Humanly speaking it is impossible , but with God everything is possible." He will be my strength. I am looking forward to losing weight and walking off these pounds once and for all. I am very encouraged by this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 11:23AM #2
Kathy Smith

Hi Angelmo!  I also put this response under the post you responded to...Big Welcome HUGS!!  xo Kathy (:

Cling tight to that verse...it will give you strength when temptation (chocolate chip cookies....potato chips...fill in the blank_____!) is near.  And cling to it when the house should be vacuumed, or the dishes washed, when you know you should go out on your walk!  You CAN do this.  I will be there for you, and so will the group.  Welcome!  Let me  know if I can help answer any questions for you! xo Kathy (:

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 9:26AM #3
angelmo

Well since joining the other day I have done a total of 10 miles so far. It's not much but it's a good start. I have to keep mindful of my exercising and what I am eating. I have asked the Lord to help partner with me on this weight loss journey and to help me restore my body as the temple he designed it to be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 11:34AM #4
Kathy Smith

10 miles NOT MUCH???  It's a GREAT start!  If you are doing that much mileage in the last two days, and keep the eating in order, you are going to see fast results.  

I really encourage you to food journal this week.  Write it all down....every bite. It's a great discipline to face all the little times we just mindlessly eat little things...and a great eye opener as to how much it is.  Also, it will keep you mindful.  Slow down when you eat, make a plate....that's the meal (without seconds), have it be a healthy amount of food, then try and make it last for about 20 minutes. It takes about 20 minutes for the body to feel sated.  If you choose plenty of greens, and whole foods with fiber, you will feel fuller, get better nutrients, have more volume of food with less calories, and it makes it much easier for the meal to last 20 minutes.  If you have a big salad that has 400 calories, it takes much longer to eat that then it does to eat a scone with the same amount of calories. And, of course, the nutritional benefits and differences between the two are totally different.

Keep me posted!  Let me know if you food journal this week. xo Kathy(: 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2008 - 7:46PM #5
puzzleman
My son is severely autistic but he loves to walk. The physical therapist said something about proprioceptive input but I think its helping us both. He may be disabled but he has a lot to teach me yet.  
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 9:02PM #6
angelmo

I was wondering about how many calories I should be taking in a day. I am 5'4" 205 pds. I know they say my ideal weight is 116-128 but my doctor will be happy if I get down to 150 or so. How many calories would you say that is?

I have began journaling my food. I use to do that a few years back and it did tend to help me stay more focused but I had no accountablity. I once did weight watchers but I can't afford to do the program any more.

Dunnel

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 2:21AM #7
Kathy Smith

Hi Dunnel, I went to About.com/nutrition and here is what I got for you.  Kathy (:

Your results for the Women's Nutrition Guide Calorie Calculator

These results will help you to know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, and the number of calories needed per day to achieve your goal weight in a healthy, steady manner.

You need 2164.5 calories per day to maintain your current weight without exercise.

You need 1888 calories per day to reach your goal weight slowly and maintain that weight without exercise.

If you reduce your current caloric intake to 1664.5 calories per day you will lose one pound per week without exercise.

If you increase your current caloric intake to 2664.5 calories per day, you will gain one pound per week.

Exercise and Calorie Needs

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2410.8 calories per day and still maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you may increase your caloric intake to 2718.7 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

If you exercise for 30 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 2101.1 calories per day.

If you exercise for 60 minutes each day, you will be able to reach your goal weight with 2367.4 calories per day.

Macronutrients

The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50 percent of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30 percent from fats, and approximately 20 percent from protein sources. One gram of protein has about four calories, one gram of fat has about nine calories, and one gram of carbohydrate has about four calories.

You need 270.6 grams of carbohydrates, 71.4 grams of fat, and 108.2 grams of protein per day for 2164.5 calories to maintain your weight of 205 pounds.

You need 236 grams of carbohydrates, 62.3 grams of fat, and 94.4 grams of protein per day for 1888 calories to maintain your goal weight of 140 pounds.

Please remember that these calorie counts are an average, you may need to adjust your calorie needs up or down slightly to get the results you want. Your results are calculated to help you understand how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, or the number of calories you need to lose weight slowly, over several months' time.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 2:23AM #8
Kathy Smith
Hi Puzzleman!  One of the wonderful things about life is this: when we do something for someone else, we end up blessed too!  It sounds like this exercise for your son, is also becoming just as much of a blessing for you.  That is a wonderful truth, isn't it!?!  Thank you for your uplifting post!  HUGS! Kathy (:
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:42PM #9
angelmo
Well I got out of bed first thing and rode bike for 6 miles. It was a great way to start off the day.Then I did a no-no I skipped breakfast and lunch cause I had to many things going on and was to busy to even think about food, but by 5:00 pm when I startd to slow down I was so hungry. I went with the family to Pizza Ranch for the buffet. I had my fill. I did make myself stop befoe I got to stuffed. But it didn't take long for my stomach to let me know it was not to happy. I felt so guilty when I got home that I decided to go for a 3 miles walk. I should have wore some different shoes cause now I have blisters. Now I will have a reminder of my bad choices for today. I'll have to do better tomorrow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2008 - 11:45PM #10
angelmo

Thank you Kathy for the information it has been help and I have it printed out as a reminder for me. This will help me to stay one track. I have been writing in my journal about my weight loss challenge. It's a good way to keep me accountable.

Thanks again for your help.

Dunnel

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook