Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Share Your Godwink Stories: General Stories
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 1:43AM #51
Marena

After living in a city apartment for several years, my husband and I were attempting to buy our first home.  Our goal was to move back to my hometown (an idyllic place to raise a family), but our funds were limited to say the least.  With the help of an honest, kind-hearted realtor, we narrowed our search to homes within our meager budget which were also located within the school district we desired.  The search resulted in only one house - a Cape Cod which the realtor described as "a real fixer-upper."  He apologized in advance for the condition of the home, which had been owned by an elderly gentleman who'd no longer been able to care for it, nor for himself.  He'd recently entered a nursing home.  The realtor seemed almost embarrassed as he led us from one dingy, smelly room to another, but as he pointed out the fireplace, he commented, "With a little elbow grease and imagination..."  Young as we were, we were filled with imagination, and we weren't afraid of hard work.  In fact, we had more energy than money!  We saw the possibilities, prayed for guidance, and eventually signed the papers. 

As the work to our new little nest began in earnest, we began to question the wisdom of our decision. Each of us were working 40 to 50 hours per week at our day jobs, and then using every spare moment of our evenings and weekends to tear up stained carpeting (we found hardwood floors underneath!), steam off stubborn 1950's-era wallpaper, and clean and paint every other surface.  We prayed that God would somehow help this tiny corner of the world begin to feel like HOME to us, and that He would verify to us that we had made the right choice.  

As part of our cleaning, we were also left with the task of discarding many of the previous owner's castoffs, including old, dried-up cans of paint that had been left in a corner of the basement since the mid 1970's (the last time any of the walls had been painted).  One Saturday during a city-wide disposal / clean-up day, my husband announced that he was going downstairs to collect and dispose of the cans, and the old newspapers upon which they were sitting.  Not long after, he emerged from the basement, pale and wide-eyed / mouth agape.  He looked like he'd seen a ghost!  "What's the matter?" I asked.  He could barely speak, but pointed out the goosebumps on his arms.  Finally, he managed to croak, "You...You have to come downstairs!"  "Why?!?" I asked.  "There's something you have to see.  You have to come!!"  "What IS it?" I demanded, following behind as we descended the stairs once more.  "I was so tired of working on this place," my husband began, "And as I was getting rid of these paint cans, I was wondering if we really were meant to live here.  I picked up the very first can, and LOOK!"  He lifted the can again, and there, smiling back at me from a 1976 hometown newspaper photo was my own face, with my maiden name captioned beneath, describing a recent award I'd won.  After 25 years on a damp basement floor, the rest of the paper was yellowed, paint-splattered, and in places, unreadable.  But my photo, hidden beneath the paint can for these many decades, looked white and fresh as new.  A Godwink telling us that, Yes, this house has always been ours - just waiting for us to come and make it new again!  With renewed energy and spirit, we completed the work on our beautiful little home just in time to welcome our firstborn son!  I've kept the newspaper that we found on the basement floor that day as a reminder that God really DOES speak to us, in ways we may least expect.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 9:12PM #52
Alex_us01

Here is one of my GodWink stories.

I had some difficult times and I was stressed, which affected my health.

I was going to the dentist for another thing and I was wondering whether my health going bad was something intended or not. When I arrived at the dentist's building, I saw some t-shirts that were given away for free. I was so attracted to them and when I took one, it said:

"Spiritual walk for abundant health" in the front and I thought "wow! Maybe God wants me to have abundant health?"

And when I turned it back, it said:

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." (3 John 1:2)

I was like: Wow!!! It was such a miraculous coincidence. As if, God answered my concern and poured out His love on me with these words. I was so overwhelmed that my eyes filled up from happiness and surprise. 

This was such a Godwink for me! I got one more t-shirt and gave it to my friend.

And, I noted that the scripture was selected from KJV and the other versions (e.g. NIV) would not have the same effect because they would not use the word "Beloved". That was extra support for me that this was indeed a GodWink!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 1:08PM #53
Yani

Hello, everyone:). I hope you and yours are doing great:). It was such a pleasure to find this section on Beliefnet!! Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful experiences and transmitting so much hope in the Love of God to so many, Mr. Rushnell:) .

I went to Confession about three Friday mornings ago. As soon as the priest absolved me of my sins, I experienced the liberation and fluidity of spirit that comes with God's forgiveness. However, after a few moments spent saying my penance prayers, I realized I had lied to my confessor.

I felt a sadness far from any sorrow I might have undergone before, but God's Love reassured me He had overlooked my fault; however, I could not seem to pardon myself still. Later that day, almost at sunset, Mom and I prayed the Rosary. Then, even more powerfully, I felt my regret give way to the certainty that God still Loved me.

At that time, I really started to let go. Here comes the source of my astonishment: As soon as the Rosary was over, for we were praying along a TV broadcast, Mom started surfing the channels. What surprise did I recieve when, right then and there, I read that one of my favorite movies was was going to play later that night!!!!! Tears started to stream down my face when I saw that!!!

But my soul remained restless, so I went to Confession last Thursday morning and then my release was utter; complete:):);)!!! I was brimming with God's goodness and guess what????!!!!! As I was looking for something to watch on TV that night, I found that the same wonderful movie was playing, again!!!!! I cried anew;):).

Dear Mr. Rushnell, thank you very much once more. I deeply appreciate your ardor for God and His creatures and I pray that he bestows countless blessings upon you and yours. Have a wonderful day:).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 11:09PM #54
Anitah

I read "When God Winks at You" during a time when my faith was wavering.  Our son was four years old and had many health concerns due to a stroke just prior to his birth.  He had to struggle with seizures, a visual impairment, Cerebral Palsy, and many significant delays. 

One of our lowest points was when his seizures weren't responding to the medicine, he ended up with a stomach virus that led to dehydration.  While in the hospital he was taken off of the seizure medicine because it wasn't working and he couldn't keep it down.  Once he came off of the medicine the seizures went away, which was another Godwink since the stomach virus ultimately led to his becoming seizure free.

During the months following the hospital stay he struggled with withdrawals from the medicine.  He had extreme anxiety, restlessness, and cried more often than not.  Our child went from waking up laughing hysterically in the middle of the night to waking up crying hysterically.  Eventually, the withdrawals subsided but he still wasn't his happy, laughing self.

One night after reading the Godwinks book I started thinking about the nights that Ryan used to wake up in the middle of the night laughing.  It was the cutest thing.   He was just be rolling with laughter. We would wake up, sort of, and giggle at him and drift back off to sleep fairly quickly.

One night I briefly mentioned to God that it would be a cool Godwink to have him wake up laughing like that again that night.  Sure enough, in the middle of the night he woke up again laughing hysterically.  That laughter gave me the reassurance that God really did have our seemingly chaotic life under control. 

I'm so thankful for the Godwink books.  Our family now looks more closely for those little winks and they are so reassuring.

Anita

www.caringbridge.org/visit/ryanhowell

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 7:29AM #55
Saladlady

A Godwink story...hmmmm.

I have been a published author for the past five years. I have twelve books in print and although I have always been an independent sort, there has been a lonely spot in my life for a long time.

I was married for far too long to an abusive husband. I finally divorced him and have been on my own, and have prayed that God send me someone who could share with me my life, my joys, my sorrows as well as my hopes.

It seemed that my prayers were going unanswered. I accepted that I would be alone forever.

Then, on January 11th...a cold day, even by Minesota standards, I read an online posted ad from a guy who was looking, maybe not for love as much as a one night stand, according to the posting! I replied back, chiding him that perhaps he was looking in the wrong direction. Why do that, I asked when he could have me? I listed my attributes as well as my longings for just a simple relationship, no fanfares, no expensive nights on the town, just basic things like cooking and sharing dreams together.

He replied back and within a few days, I met him.

I could not believe this person...he also shared my simple desires and as time went on, I fell deeply in love. He called me his Princess and treated me like a rare, precious gem. A rose would appear randomly for no reason, other than just because he loved me also.

We have made it a goal to share our lives together. He is supportive of who I am and what I do, with no threat on his ego. He shares of himself and for that, I am grateful to God that on that cold day, he posted an ad, purely on a whim, never having done so ever before.

I give thanks to God also that I saw it...and answered back!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 3:33PM #56
Adsellers

I had a God wink today.  At this time I am off work on disablity, and I am trying to get my workers comp. benefits going after  6 months of waiting. This morning with my time with  GOD, I told GOD I was putting all my worries and fears into his hands, and I would put all my faith in him to help me through this period in my life.

I got dressed and went to physical therapy, after physical therapy I had to run to the store to pick up some items and a prescription. On my way to the store I went in a different direction. I had not gone this way in years! Half way to the store a car pulled out in front of me and I started to get annoyed, but I didn't. Sitting behind this car I noticed her back plate and it read Schaumburg, Ill and I said to myself I know that name, and then it came to me all at once!! Schaumburg, Ill is the location where my worker's comp. benefits will come from once approved!! I was so blown away!

Once I realized this was a Godwink, I said thank you God for hearing my prayers this morning, and then I got on the phone and called my daughter to tell her my experience.

I am more than convinced that GOD hears our prayers.

GOD BLESS ,

Denise

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2009 - 9:59AM #57
G_in_ga

After the death of our daughter, not only were we devastated by loss but we were not allowed to see her son for weeks and months at a time. He and his mother had lived with us prior to her death and his father cut off most communication.

I attended a church service on what was Choirs Dedication Sunday. Even in my pain, I enjoyed seeing all of the children's choirs and was comforted by thoughts that I would love to see my own grandson singing with other children and learning of Love...Not only God's, but the community that is a church family. This was in September of 2001.

Well, in September of 2008, I experienced a Godwink in that not only am I am member of the adult choir in the same church, but my Joshua was singing in the youth choir and was sitting directly in front of me in the choir loft on Choirs Dedication Sunday!

At first in my humaness, I was hovering over him trying to make him a better choir member (he joined the church on his own in the spring of 2008!)  But THEN...I realized that God had indeed answered my prayers of 2001.  Not only was Joshua involved with a choir, but he was there with me in the choir that I love!  I know that everyone saw my smile that day, but I don't think they could see the wink.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2009 - 1:58AM #58
Nevertoolate

Wow, I am glad I found this book today. And to think I went to the store for toilet bowl cleaner and came out with so much more! The first page, I knew it was the book for me. I can't wait to get through all of it, and then get the rest of them. Well, maybe skip the relationship one, not sure on that one yet. As I am currently in the middle of an ugly divorce with a young daughter in the middle. We have been separated for almost 2 months. Not one of those days did she have a problem with staying at my place, or his. But tonight, she was so torn up over it. Crying and crying over wanting to be able to stay at both places at the same time. I consoled her best I could, telling her I will see her tomorrow and go enjoy your time with your dad and your guinea pigs. On top of that, today was the day I had to file with the court from the husbands divorce petition. I wasn't able to get a lawyer until the very last second. When my boss came through by giving me a payroll advance. My storage unit that I went to pay is shut down. My belongings are still accessible, but for how long? and there is a heat advisory this week. But I have to get it all out this week. Swim meets, working part time job, running daughter back and forth from home, swimming, to sitters, to dads. I am so exhausted I could cry each night. But I wont cry, because I know if i do i wont ever stop.

so, after my daughter cried for 20 minutes or more, then finally went with her dad, i came back up to my small apartment, and felt such pain for her. i have had so much hate and bitterness towards him, i went to a divorce care class. it was at a church. they gave us a booklet and i had to refer to bible verses. a friend at work, bought me a bible so i had one to refer to. we laughed that she had ulterior motives (saving my soul).

i look around the apartment and see the book on top of my new bible from class tonight. i take time, and pick it up and start to read the first page. i was hooked. it was such good timing for me to have this book. as i was coming home from the divorce class and the store, i was carrying up my bible, and i thought, geez, how will i know what parts of the bible to go to when i need to. there are pages in the workbook from the class, but how do i know when to go to certain pages?

after your book, i was positive i made the right choice going to this church and taking this class. it was like when i walked into that store today, that book literally called to me and i stood there and looked at many others i thought would be interesting. but this one. it was just the right one. i have to thank you for writing it. i love the name godwink. after reading as much as i could before putting it down and searching for more on the Internet, i know i have had many of these godwinks. i remember once at the grocery store, my daughter is very adhd, and will run into traffic without stopping if you don't pay close attention. well, we were walking in between two cars, and she starts to run out into where the cars pull in or out. well, i look, and there is a car coming in, and she is running right at it. i panic and before i can do anything at all, she trips! boom, right on the ground. misses the car. i told some people about it, and explained it as god reached his foot down and tripped her himself. it was amazing to watch. i was almost raped twice, and both occasions, i felt the same thing. that god reached down and protected me, both times. i feel like a new person. living a surreal life at the moment. leaving how i lived for 11 years. into this new, single world, and finding god again. and its truly people like you that help people like me. i don't know how i could ever thank you enough.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 10:42PM #59
Hutch04901

I keep a few spiritual books at work to draw inspiration and to help me get thru my work day.  I like to pick one up and just start randomly reading at whatever page I happen to open the book.  I read a passage in the book "The Journey Home", by Ken Wapnick.  The message was "We are all of one mind".   With that thought in mind, I left work to go to my favorite restaurant.  I sat at the bar, and decided I was not going to order my "usual" "Rocky Top Chicken".  I asked the bartender for a menu and started to peruse the menu for another option.   There was one person sitting to my left at the bar and there were 2 ladies sitting behind me at a table.  I had two other options in mind, "Flo's Fillet" and "Steak Tips".  As I continued looking at the menu, the gentleman to my left ordered "Rocky Top Chicken".  I sort of chuckled and thought of the passage in the book.  Shortly thereafter, the two ladies behind me ordered their lunch.  The first lady said, "I'll have Flo's Fillet" and the second lady placed an order for "steak tips".   'Wow, that is too weird" I said to myself.   When it was my turn to order, I decided to go with a completely different option.  My order was "8 oz renegade steak, medium, mashed potatoes, with a side of broccoli".   Within a minute of me placing my order, the manager walked by and said to the bartender, "hey bar-keep, I've got a take-out order, 8 oz renegade steak, medium, mashed, and a side of broccoli".   I'm not sure if this is worthy of a Godwink story, but it seemed like an interesting way to get a point across, "We are all of one mind".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 10:47PM #60
Squirerushnell

Your stories are an inspiration to me and many others in this community. Whether you're struggling to make the rent for next month, find the relationship of your dreams, or grieving the loss of a loved one, a godwink can provide the reassurance that you're on the right path.

I'm starting work on my next book, When God Winks on Pets, so if you have any godwink stories to share involving a favorite four-legged (or other type) friend, please post them here.

If it seems like a good fit, I may be in touch to ask your permission to include your story.

Good wishes and God winks,

SQ
The Godwink Guy 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook