Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gallup Poll: Support for Legal Marijuana at an All-Time High and Likely to Grow
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 2:09AM #1
Merope

Nearly 2 years after the nation's first recreational marijuana shop opened in Colorado, American support for legal weed has tied an all-time high (Innocent) and is likely to increase, according to new numbers released today by Gallup.  According to the poll, 58% of Americans say that the use of marijuana should be legal, a 7-point year-over-year increase.

The poll finds steady increases in support of legalization across all age cohorts.  For instance, in 1969 only 20% of those born between 1935 and 1950 supported making marijuana legal.  Today, 40% of that age group — who are now age 65+ — support legal weed.

Similarly, in 1985 only 32% of Boomers born between 1951 and 1965 supported legal marijuana.  Today, 58% of them do.  Support is highest among young adults born between 1981 and 1997, 71% of whom support legalization, according to the poll.

"Americans' support for legalizing marijuana is the highest Gallup has measured to date, at 58%," the survey concludes.  "Given the patterns of support by age, that percentage should continue to grow in the future."

www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/...

Your thoughts?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 8:05AM #2
Midutch

Gasp! If we're not careful the USofA will end up being like ... Amsterdam.

The right wing conservatives will have a cow:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgObCvspfk

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 8:43AM #3
BDboy

I want to know what Donald T says about it. This is interesting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 10:12AM #4
Druac

Oct 22, 2015 -- 8:43AM, BDboy wrote:

I want to know what Donald T says about it.

Why?

Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg, an American physicist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 10:58AM #5
looshawn

Progressives continuously state that this country is getting weaker and falling apart.

If millions of Americans are going to be high all the time, maybe we are headed in that direction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 11:09AM #6
BDboy

Oct 22, 2015 -- 10:12AM, Druac wrote:

Why?

>>>>>>> for entertainment only!!   Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 11:20AM #7
looshawn

Oct 22, 2015 -- 11:09AM, BDboy wrote:

Oct 22, 2015 -- 10:12AM, Druac wrote:

Why?

>>>>>>> for entertainment only!!   Smile

You wanna know the truth on what Trump thinks about pot? Here it is:

Would Donald Trump Be A Marijuana Friendly President?

If you follow politics, or for that matter if you follow any media outlet in America, then you know that the 2016 Election is in full swing, and there are a number of candidates that are running for President of the United States. The candidate that has been receiving the most attention lately, for better or worse depending on how you feel about him, is clearly Donald Trump. Donald Trump has been a long time businessman, has been a reality TV star, and is one of the most controversial figures in America right now. Putting all of his other political views aside, how does he feel about marijuana?

As seems to be the case on a lot of things with Donald Trump, the answer is not exactly clear. Donald Trump has made conflicting statements over the years in regards to marijuana. Tom Angell highlighted some of those statements in an article that he wrote forMarijuana.Com:

In 1990, Trump called for legalizing all drugs. ”We’re losing badly the war on drugs. You have to legalize drugs to win that war,” he said. “You have to take the profit away from these drug czars… What I’d like to do maybe by bringing it up is cause enough controversy that you get into a dialogue on the issue of drugs so people will start to realize that this is the only answer; there is no other answer.”

But at the 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference, Trump stated that he’s against the legalization of marijuana. ”I think it’s bad, and I feel strongly about that,” he said. “They’ve got a lot of problems going on right now in Colorado, some big problems.” However, when asked about the states’ rights aspect to marijuana laws, Trump said, “If they vote for it, they vote for it.

“Medical marijuana is another thing,” he added. “I think medical marijuana, 100 percent.”

So based off of those statements, it sounds like he is against legalization and feels ‘strongly about that’ but that he is behind medical marijuana ‘100 percent.’ He respects states rights when it comes to marijuana policy. How about marijuana decriminalization? For that I turn to an interview that Trump did on the Morning Joe show, which was quoted by The Daily Caller:

Joe Scarborough: What about like marijuana? Should a kid be thrown in jail because he gets busted for marijuana?

Donald Trump: I don’t really think so. And I think that maybe the dealers have to be looked at very strongly. But then you have states all of a sudden legalizing it. So it’s sort of hard to say that you’re in one side of the border and you go to jail and you’re on the other side and can you go into a store and buy it. So there is going to be changes made there, Joe, and there has to be. But you just can’t. So when you mention the marijuana, that is a very tough subject nowadays, especially since it’s been legalized.

So essentially Donald Trump is against legalization, but doesn’t think that anyone should go to jail, and that states need to have similar marijuana policies and that ‘there is going to be changes made there,’ specifically referring to states that have legalized. Clear as mud? Would Donald Trump be a marijuana friendly President? It sounds like if your state voted for reform, he will respect that. However, don’t expect him to spearhead any marijuana reform efforts from the White House if he is elected. Donald Trump is better than most candidates when it comes to marijuana policy, especially compared to people like Chris Christie who leave no doubt when it comes to their opposition of marijuana. But, Donald Trump could definitely be better at establishing exactly where he stands on marijuana policy in America.

www.theweedblog.com/would-donald-trump-b...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2015 - 11:30AM #8
Midutch

Oct 22, 2015 -- 10:58AM, looshawn wrote:

Progressives continuously state that this country is getting weaker and falling apart.

That would actually be the right wing conservatives who usually say that.

If millions of Americans are going to be high all the time, maybe we are headed in that direction

Obviously US Americans and the Dutch are much different people, but in the Netherlands where personal mariujuana use has been tolerated of decades, only about 22% of the population have used or tried marijuana as compared to 40% in the USofA. Further, the death toll in the Netherlands from drug overdoses is 2.4 per million inhabitants, compared to 38.0 per million inhabitants.

IOW maybe the USofA CAN learn some things from progressive liberal countries like the Netherlands.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2015 - 9:27AM #9
Do_unto_others

Odd, but I've only heard that from frabid frightwingers who are afraid of progress.

If millions of Americans are going to be high all the time, maybe we are headed in that direction.

Most marijuana users AREN'T "high all the time". That's just another misconception spread by the lying liars on the right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2015 - 11:39AM #10
Girlchristian

I don't know anyone, including any conservatives, that oppose legalizing marijuana. There is no reason it should be illegal. We should make it legal, regulate and tax the sales like alcohol and cigarrettes and move on.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook