Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Justice Ginsburg: Reproductive Choice Is an Empty Concept for Low-Income Women
2 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2015 - 7:59PM #11
TemplarS

Nobody  (at least me) is claiming the poor need equal access to everything. The rich can, and I have no problem with, drive Beemers instead of Chevys, live in the Hamptons instead of Queens, eat at La Grenouille instead of the Tick Tock Diner, wear bespoke suits instead off-the-rack from J.C. Penney, and afford all the Gucci handbags, Manolo Blanco shoes, and face lifts, boob jobs, and tummy tucks their Goldman Sachs brokerage accounts can pay for.

But, health care seems to me to be a basic necessity for all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2015 - 8:35PM #12
in_my_opinion

Aug 7, 2015 -- 8:38PM, mountain_man wrote:

Aug 7, 2015 -- 2:06AM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Part of the issue is that there doesn't seemto be anybody willing to fund poor women by paying for their abortions or providing free clinics that will do it.

The main issue is that immoral people do not care about the woman. They only care about money or forcing her to give birth.

Agreed, they will orally fight for her right to kill her child; but with all their talk they won't put their money where their mouths are.

There seems to be a great deal of fighting for that right through advocacy; but putting money there, not so much.

The other thing is people who don't want their taxes to go towards what vehemently bothers their conscience.

Those people are gravely, and purposely, mistaken. No government money goes towards abortions. Why do the pro birthers have to lie about this?

It isn't a lie, some people think of it as "... basic healthcare ...". Many countries provide it and that comes out of their taxes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2015 - 9:28PM #13
SeraphimR

Aug 8, 2015 -- 7:59PM, TemplarS wrote:

Nobody  (at least me) is claiming the poor need equal access to everything. The rich can, and I have no problem with, drive Beemers instead of Chevys, live in the Hamptons instead of Queens, eat at La Grenouille instead of the Tick Tock Diner, wear bespoke suits instead off-the-rack from J.C. Penney, and afford all the Gucci handbags, Manolo Blanco shoes, and face lifts, boob jobs, and tummy tucks their Goldman Sachs brokerage accounts can pay for.

But, health care seems to me to be a basic necessity for all.

If you don't want there to be any abortions, it is unconvincing to argue you have to provide them to everybody because rich people will be able to finess the laws.

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2015 - 11:05AM #14
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook