Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2015 - 1:57PM #41
mountain_man

May 11, 2015 -- 12:32PM, Girlchristian wrote:

How is one not fully 'human'? A being is either a human, an animal, an alien, etc but how is one 'not fully' any of those things.

Humans are animals. The species of animal depends on genetics.

Animal; Any of numerous multicellular eukaryotic organisms of the kingdom Metazoa (or Animalia) that ingest food rather than manufacturing it themselves and are usually able to move about during at least part of their life cycle. Sponges, jellyfishes, flatworms, mollusks, arthropods, and vertebrates are animals.

Vertebrate: Animals with an internal skeleton made of bone are called vertebrates. Vertebrates include fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals, primates, rodents and marsupials.

Mammal: Mammals are a clade of endothermic amniotes distinguished from reptiles and birds by the possession of hair, three middle ear bones, mammary glands, and a neocortex (a region of the brain).

Humans are animals.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2015 - 2:02PM #42
mountain_man

May 11, 2015 -- 1:10PM, cyngarrison wrote:

I'm not sure that when something is "fully human", "a person" and I don't thint it matters. There is has to be a line that has to be drawn as to when an abortion is legal for all reasons and when its legal only for medically necessary purposes, I think that line should be viability as it is the only thing that can be proven.

When is that line drawn? 25% survival? 50% survival? 90% survival? And who makes the decision? More often than people want to know, viability can end in a second. "Viability" does not guarantee survival. A fetus can make it to 40 weeks, and then die before it could be born. Or the fetus could survive in the womb but die within hours after it's born. Viability cannot be determined in a way that it could account for all possible contingencies.  It should be left up to doctors, not christian extremist politicians.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2015 - 2:18PM #43
Nepenthe

I'm not sure that when something is "fully human", "a person" and I don't thint it matters.

That is because it doesn't matter. When the egg is fertilized, there is only homo sapien. There is no fully or partially. There is only one line of life for that homo sapien, and the government gave the legal right to end that line based on a specific point of development. Which means a government can change that line to suit its idea of proper society. Roe v. Wade did one thing, it gave the government precedent and permission to morally determine at what level of development a homo sapien can legally have their life line stopped by someone in power over that homo sapien.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2015 - 3:33PM #44
REteach

Average salary of a direct care provider in a group home in Naples Florida, 2015, is $22K/year.  You get to work nights, weekends and holidays while being hit by aggressive clients and changing their diapers.

So, IMO, if you are agitating to do whatever to keep whatever alive, you had better be agitating to increase the salaries of those people who work long hours in jobs that are often literally and figuratively shitty.  If you don't care about these people after they are born or hit 18, I have no time for you [generic] or your opinions.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2015 - 3:35PM #45
cyngarrison

May 11, 2015 -- 2:18PM, Nepenthe wrote:

I'm not sure that when something is "fully human", "a person" and I don't thint it matters.

That is because it doesn't matter. When the egg is fertilized, there is only homo sapien. There is no fully or partially. There is only one line of life for that homo sapien, and the government gave the legal right to end that line based on a specific point of development. Which means a government can change that line to suit its idea of proper society. Roe v. Wade did one thing, it gave the government precedent and permission to morally determine at what level of development a homo sapien can legally have their life line stopped by someone in power over that homo sapien.

Do you agree that we should have a law determining at what point abortions can be obtained based on medical necessity? Or do you think that women should be able to obtain an abortion at any time during pregnancy based on any reason she chooses? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook