Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Have A Child
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 3:47PM #31
Do_unto_others

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:26PM, rangerken wrote:

Oct 7, 2013 -- 11:46AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Oct 5, 2013 -- 6:46PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Both children (mom and kid) are going to end up in the system or worse anyway.  Kudos, Nebraska.

Forcing a child to bear a fetus to term against her wishes is not worthy of "kudos".

Shame on the Neb. SC.

It seems that many of us, from the liberal and conservative points of view, feel the same way about this. I am most upset at how the young woman's life will be adversely affected and I think the court's actions are, to be blunt, vicious!

And I agree with Mountainman's points as well as Ebon's... though perhaps more with MM's (hopefully nobody is suffering from terminal shock reading this).

Ken

The "court's actions" are merely the fulfillment of the frabid frightwingnuterati who wish to rule America.

What would really "shock" me is if folk like you and those who agree with you on this point would start the impeachment proceedings against the "court's" members, just like the frightwing did against judges who ruled for same-sex marriage.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 3:57PM #32
rangerken

Oct 7, 2013 -- 3:47PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:26PM, rangerken wrote:

Oct 7, 2013 -- 11:46AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Oct 5, 2013 -- 6:46PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Both children (mom and kid) are going to end up in the system or worse anyway.  Kudos, Nebraska.

Forcing a child to bear a fetus to term against her wishes is not worthy of "kudos".

Shame on the Neb. SC.

It seems that many of us, from the liberal and conservative points of view, feel the same way about this. I am most upset at how the young woman's life will be adversely affected and I think the court's actions are, to be blunt, vicious!

And I agree with Mountainman's points as well as Ebon's... though perhaps more with MM's (hopefully nobody is suffering from terminal shock reading this).

Ken

The "court's actions" are merely the fulfillment of the frabid frightwingnuterati who wish to rule America.

What would really "shock" me is if folk like you and those who agree with you on this point would start the impeachment proceedings against the "court's" members, just like the frightwing did against judges who ruled for same-sex marriage.

If I lived in that state I'd be bugging my state reps to do just that! I'm a conservative... NOT an ideologue!!!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 3:59PM #33
Erey

I believe in abortion at-will for the first trimester and after that for serious medical issues of either the mother or the fetus.

I am wondering how pregnant this 16 year old girl was.  If she was 2-3 months pregnant then the courts were very cruel and intrusive.

If she was 5-6 months pregnant then I don't think it is OK or acceptable to have an at-will abortion that late in the pregnancy.

I did not see any info on the stage of gestation, if anyone else is able to see that please post. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 4:08PM #34
Do_unto_others

Here's some advice for all the busybodies:

If it isn't your uterus, you don't get a say in the matter. It isn't your choice to make, after all, and therefore none of anyone else's business.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 5:29PM #35
mountain_man

Oct 7, 2013 -- 3:44PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

.... Heterosexuality on its own is clearly NOT a qualification for good parenting.

Neither is homosexuality.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 5:30PM #36
mountain_man

Oct 7, 2013 -- 4:08PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

If it isn't your uterus, you don't get a say in the matter.

And those without a uterus have no say on the issue.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 10:24PM #37
SeraphimR

Oct 7, 2013 -- 5:30PM, mountain_man wrote:

Oct 7, 2013 -- 4:08PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

If it isn't your uterus, you don't get a say in the matter.

And those without a uterus have no say on the issue.

Apparently, the Nebraska Supreme Court does have a say in the matter.

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 10:29PM #38
farragut

Seems to me that they are quite out of line.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2013 - 7:07AM #39
karbie

If this is how the system works in Nevada, just think how bad the abuse had to be for her to be removed from her parents and have their rights terminated.If sexual abuse was part of the mix it would be difficult to differentiate between sex and love. Then she gets placed wiith a good God-fearing couple who have strict rules to obey for any signs of approval. It had to be early in the pregnancy or the couple would have noticed sshe wasn't using the usual amount of feminine protection supplies. So once again this child has been royally screwed over.                             No judge should be appointed for life because they can become detached from reality. I would agree with a fifteen year term limit, with vote to be retained no later than eight years. It should include a review of their rulings  and if they  are shown to be biased and unaware of the results of their mandates, kick them out.  I wish the judges had a uterus or at least some compassion for a child who has been ill-served by life.  Heck, make it a pregnant uterus for each of them.  

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2013 - 10:23AM #40
mountain_man

Oct 8, 2013 -- 7:07AM, karbie wrote:

If this is how the system works in Nevada,

Nebraska

just think how bad the abuse had to be for her to be removed from her parents and have their rights terminated.If sexual abuse was part of the mix it would be difficult to differentiate between sex and love. Then she gets placed with a good God-fearing couple who have strict rules to obey for any signs of approval. It had to be early in the pregnancy or the couple would have noticed she wasn't using the usual amount of feminine protection supplies. So once again this child has been royally screwed over. 

All I could find was that the abuse consisted of "physical and neglect." What I was trying to find was how long all this took. She could have had the baby by now.

No judge should be appointed for life because they can become detached from reality. I would agree with a fifteen year term limit, with vote to be retained no later than eight years. It should include a review of their rulings  and if they  are shown to be biased and unaware of the results of their mandates, kick them out.  I wish the judges had a uterus or at least some compassion for a child who has been ill-served by life.  Heck, make it a pregnant uterus for each of them. 

There should also be an age limit. Some of the older judges just get stuck in their ancient version of what society is and impose that on a different society.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook