Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Have A Child
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 10:39PM #21
loveontheair

Oct 6, 2013 -- 10:31PM, mountain_man wrote:

Oct 6, 2013 -- 9:50PM, loveontheair wrote:

....Reality, the NE Supreme Court made their decision.

They made a biased, bigoted, asinine, decision. They should be disbarred.

Hello,

This is why I believe ppl need to do a better job of knowing their Public officials and Politicians, especially Judges--and do a better job of voting.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 12:18AM #22
mountain_man

Oct 6, 2013 -- 10:39PM, loveontheair wrote:

This is why I believe ppl need to do a better job of knowing their Public officials and Politicians, especially Judges--and do a better job of voting.

When they are lied to by the Regressive controlled news media, there's not much we can do. One thing though would be to amend the Constitution to say that corporations are not people and that no one person, or corporation, can donate more than $100 to any political campaign.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 12:43AM #23
rangerken

This issue supports the desire by many (like me) that lifetime tenure for judges should be eliminated. I'd be in favor of fifteen years, and then a requirement for re-appointment by whatever authority a particular state's constitution gave it to. I feel the same way regarding federal judges...15 years, then that's it or a new appointment, subject to whatever legislative approval the initial appointmen is subject to.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 1:01AM #24
Ebon

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:43AM, rangerken wrote:

This issue supports the desire by many (like me) that lifetime tenure for judges should be eliminated. I'd be in favor of fifteen years, and then a requirement for re-appointment by whatever authority a particular state's constitution gave it to. I feel the same way regarding federal judges...15 years, then that's it or a new appointment, subject to whatever legislative approval the initial appointmen is subject to.

To my surprise, I (somewhat) agree. The lifetime tenure was supposed to insulate judges from political pressure but in practice, it's had exactly the opposite effect: Granting lifetime tenure to the political biases of whoever appoints them. The problem with re-appointment is that you end up with a situation similar to the current Congress where one side wouldn't vote to confirm Jesus if the other side nominated him. So I find myself agreeing with the principle but with reservations on how it could be made to work in practice.

I'll agree to fifteen years on the condition that there are no limits on how many times an individual judge can be appointed (i.e. if one judge proves to be extremely good, he can be re-appointed as many times as his lifespan allows). I'd also like to see some way of getting the legal professions opinion into the mix.

It should be noted that judges are often pilloried for decisions they had no choice but to make. The operation of stare decisis means that once a judge makes a decision on a particular point of law, every court below them in the heirarchy is obliged to treat that point of law the same way. This is what caused the Ricci case that Justice Sotomayor was unfairly criticised for, the SCOTUS had made the decision that tests which created a racial disparity were invalid even if that wasn't the aim and Sotomayor was obliged to render that same decision in teh Ricci case (the SCOTUS has since revised that precedent).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 11:12AM #25
mountain_man

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:43AM, rangerken wrote:

In Calif. the California Supreme Court justices are appointed, but then have to go through a "retention vote" at the next general election and again every 12 years. I'd like to see that time cut down to 4 years.

What has to be done is finding another way to appoint judges. Right now most, if not all, are political appointees. They are often appointed for political favors they have done. John Roberts, the current Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court is a perfect example of that.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 11:46AM #26
Do_unto_others

Oct 5, 2013 -- 6:46PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Both children (mom and kid) are going to end up in the system or worse anyway.  Kudos, Nebraska.

Forcing a child to bear a fetus to term against her wishes is not worthy of "kudos".

Shame on the Neb. SC.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 12:26PM #27
rangerken

Oct 7, 2013 -- 11:46AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Oct 5, 2013 -- 6:46PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Both children (mom and kid) are going to end up in the system or worse anyway.  Kudos, Nebraska.

Forcing a child to bear a fetus to term against her wishes is not worthy of "kudos".

Shame on the Neb. SC.

It seems that many of us, from the liberal and conservative points of view, feel the same way about this. I am most upset at how the young woman's life will be adversely affected and I think the court's actions are, to be blunt, vicious!

And I agree with Mountainman's points as well as Ebon's... though perhaps more with MM's (hopefully nobody is suffering from terminal shock reading this).

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 1:25PM #28
mountain_man

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:26PM, rangerken wrote:

...And I agree with Mountainman's points as well as Ebon's... though perhaps more with MM's (hopefully nobody is suffering from terminal shock reading this).

That has been happening a lot lately. Maybe all these Progressives here are rubbing off on you.   Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 1:32PM #29
mainecaptain

Oct 7, 2013 -- 12:18AM, mountain_man wrote:

When they are lied to by the Regressive controlled news media, there's not much we can do. One thing though would be to amend the Constitution to say that corporations are not people and that no one person, or corporation, can donate more than $100 to any political campaign.

Wouldn't that be nice?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2013 - 3:44PM #30
Do_unto_others

Oct 6, 2013 -- 11:23AM, mountain_man wrote:

Oct 6, 2013 -- 10:39AM, loveontheair wrote:

I agree to extent that these were not her real parents, and we do not know the reason why she is in foster care. Foster care is tough--I know a friend and her husband who do this. However, where is *common sense? Perhaps they need to review these so-called foster parents in this case.

It has been mentioned that the girl is in foster care because her parents were abusive and had their parental rights taken away. The girl has been through the trauma of that abuse, the trauma of losing those parents, the trauma of being forced into a new and strange family, and now the trauma of the government forcing her to have a child. This girl has been through hell. Now, those foster parents forced a barbaric, extremist, view of religion on her to the point of her being afraid of losing another set of parents. Of course she is afraid of being kicked out - she has a whole lifetime of bad experiences.

I just hope the rest of her life works out well for her.

Please allow me one moment of unkindness and let me point out that both the girl's "real parents" AND her foster parents were heterosexual couples. I sure wish that for just one tiny moment, the anti-equality squad would give up their automatic, knee-jerk sloganeering that children need "a mother and a father". Heterosexuality on its own is clearly NOT a qualification for good parenting.

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook