Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Nebraska Supreme Court Rules Have A Child
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 5:51PM #1
Stardove
Nebraska Supreme Court rules 16-year-old ‘not mature enough’ for abortion

A 16-year-old ward of the state in Nebraska isn’t mature enough to have an abortion. She is, however, apparently mature enough to bear the child instead.

So ruled the Nebraska Supreme Court in a split decision Friday.

The 5-2 decision denied the unnamed child’s request for an an abortion, saying the girl had not shown that “she is sufficiently mature and well informed to decide on her own whether to have an abortion,” according to the ruling.

Continued at the link. 

Does the Nebraska Supreme Court ruling make any sense?
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 6:46PM #2
Iwantamotto

Both children (mom and kid) are going to end up in the system or worse anyway.  Kudos, Nebraska.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 7:01PM #3
teilhard

I don't recall that The SCOTUS in Roe vs. Wade made any Ruling on The Age (or "Maturity") of The Pregnant Woman ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 7:56PM #4
mountain_man

If she is not "mature enough" to make such a decision, then she certainly is not mature enough to be a mother. Those idiots didn't care anyway. They just imposed their archaic anti-abortion beliefs on the poor mother.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2013 - 9:45PM #5
Girlchristian

Oct 5, 2013 -- 5:51PM, Stardove wrote:

Nebraska Supreme Court rules 16-year-old ‘not mature enough’ for abortion

A 16-year-old ward of the state in Nebraska isn’t mature enough to have an abortion. She is, however, apparently mature enough to bear the child instead.

So ruled the Nebraska Supreme Court in a split decision Friday.

The 5-2 decision denied the unnamed child’s request for an an abortion, saying the girl had not shown that “she is sufficiently mature and well informed to decide on her own whether to have an abortion,” according to the ruling.

Continued at the link. 

Does the Nebraska Supreme Court ruling make any sense?

It only makes sense if there is more to this statement (from your article) than we know:

But she also told the court that she feared losing her placement in foster care if her highly-religious foster parents learned of her pregnancy.

If that played a big part in her decision then one can't say that she was making the decision because she wanted the abortion or because she was simply afraid of being kicked out.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 1:42AM #6
karbie
Gee, are they going to help her afterwards? Chase down the father who still gets to skip off into the sunset?  This young girl is in  the foster care system due to child abuse severe enough that her birth parents were stripped of their parental rights to her. That alone would put her on a rocky basis to be a teen mom; her fears that she would lose her current placement if her highly religious foster parents learned of the pregnancy is almost inevitable thanks to the Nebraska Supreme Court. If she's not mature enough to make a decision, she's certainly too young to have the ability to care for herself or a baby. I'm sorry this poor girl has no one to turn to except her advocate and i pray the next story isn't about her suicide.
"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 10:24AM #7
mountain_man

Oct 6, 2013 -- 1:42AM, karbie wrote:

Gee, are they going to help her afterwards? Chase down the father who still gets to skip off into the sunset? This young girl is in the foster care system due to child abuse severe enough that her birth parents were stripped of their parental rights to her. That alone would put her on a rocky basis to be a teen mom; her fears that she would lose her current placement if her highly religious foster parents learned of the pregnancy is almost inevitable thanks to the Nebraska Supreme Court. If she's not mature enough to make a decision, she's certainly too young to have the ability to care for herself or a baby. I'm sorry this poor girl has no one to turn to except her advocate and i pray the next story isn't about her suicide.

That's part of the problem; the anti-abortionists do not care if she commits suicide, as long as she doesn't have an abortion. No, they won't be there to help her and the child. The Regressives want to cut any help she could get. The other problem is that her highly religious foster parents are abusive too. They paid more attention to their religion than the girl. If those adults had done their job and taken care of, or at least listened to, the psychological and emotional needs of the girl she would not have had to seek attention elsewhere.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 10:39AM #8
loveontheair

Oct 6, 2013 -- 10:24AM, mountain_man wrote:

Oct 6, 2013 -- 1:42AM, karbie wrote:

Gee, are they going to help her afterwards? Chase down the father who still gets to skip off into the sunset? This young girl is in the foster care system due to child abuse severe enough that her birth parents were stripped of their parental rights to her. That alone would put her on a rocky basis to be a teen mom; her fears that she would lose her current placement if her highly religious foster parents learned of the pregnancy is almost inevitable thanks to the Nebraska Supreme Court. If she's not mature enough to make a decision, she's certainly too young to have the ability to care for herself or a baby. I'm sorry this poor girl has no one to turn to except her advocate and i pray the next story isn't about her suicide.

That's part of the problem; the anti-abortionists do not care if she commits suicide, as long as she doesn't have an abortion. No, they won't be there to help her and the child. The Regressives want to cut any help she could get. The other problem is that her highly religious foster parents are abusive too. They paid more attention to their religion than the girl. If those adults had done their job and taken care of, or at least listened to, the psychological and emotional needs of the girl she would not have had to seek attention elsewhere.

Hello,

MM said...

"If those adults had done their job and taken care of, or at least listened to, the psychological and emotional needs of the girl she would not have had to seek attention elsewhere."

I agree to extent that these were not her real parents, and we do not know the reason why she is in foster care. Foster care is tough--I know a friend and her husband who do this. However, where is *common sense? Perhaps they need to review these so-called foster parents in this case.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 11:23AM #9
mountain_man

Oct 6, 2013 -- 10:39AM, loveontheair wrote:

I agree to extent that these were not her real parents, and we do not know the reason why she is in foster care. Foster care is tough--I know a friend and her husband who do this. However, where is *common sense? Perhaps they need to review these so-called foster parents in this case.

It has been mentioned that the girl is in foster care because her parents were abusive and had their parental rights taken away. The girl has been through the trauma of that abuse, the trauma of losing those parents, the trauma of being forced into a new and strange family, and now the trauma of the government forcing her to have a child. This girl has been through hell. Now, those foster parents forced a barbaric, extremist, view of religion on her to the point of her being afraid of losing another set of parents. Of course she is afraid of being kicked out - she has a whole lifetime of bad experiences.

I just hope the rest of her life works out well for her.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2013 - 11:44AM #10
Ebon

The ruling makes no sense at all.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook