Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 11:19PM #1
Ebon

Kansas's Self-Destruct Button: A Bill to Outlaw Sustainability

Kansas, I love your sense of humor.

It seems like every time the Sunflower State pops up in my news feed, it’s for something like this: House Bill No. 2366, a proposed law that would make it illegal to use “public funds to promote or implement sustainable development.”

Kansas, the place where I spent my formative years skipping school to go fishing in farm ponds, is populated with thoughtful stewards of the nation’s breadbasket. It also has a habit of turning reason on its head. The state famously dropped evolution from its educational curriculum in 1999, along with the age of the Earth and the history of the universe, for good measure.

Now the state’s “Committee on Energy and Environment” is proposing a law that would prohibit spending on anything that won’t set Kansas on a course to self-destruction. House Bill No. 2366 would ban all state and municipal funds for anything related to “sustainable development,” which it defines as: “development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come."

From Bloomberg

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 10, 2013 - 12:30AM #2
mountain_man

I'd bet the bill was written by ALEC.

I just looked it up. I was right.

I quote: According to Kansas Sierra Club spokesman Zack Pistora, the bill appears to be an extension of an anti-U.N. resolution driven by Agenda 21 conspiracy theories proposed by Rep. Hedke last year that was linked to the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and Americans for Prosperity(AFP) — both of which reportedly have funding ties to Kansas the oil and gas billionaires, the Koch brothers.

From earlier in that article: Yet another thing the matter with Kansas: A legislator on the committee that recently introduced legislation that would force teachers to misinform students about the science of climate change has introduced a bill to prohibit use of public funds to promote sustainable development.

The whole article.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 10, 2013 - 2:44AM #3
DotNotInOz
Oh, damn! The nutballs in my old home state are feeding comedians again.

Kansas, land of sunflowers, wheat, and too damn many people who act like they have the IQ of a plant!
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 10, 2013 - 9:43AM #4
Midutch

I actually don't have a problem with Kansas passing these sorts of laws. The more idiotic laws they enact, the better it is for states that are not idiotic ... or at least, not AS idiotic.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 10, 2013 - 11:48AM #5
DotNotInOz
One thing I can say for Kansas...Despite the efforts of the Phelpses, the state at least hasn't descended (yet!) to the level of idiocy that led Kentucky to welcome the Creation Museum.

Of course, I doubt that religious fervor drove Kentuckians' enthusiasm for it as much as did the Almighty Dollar. 

Kansas does typically confine its more bizarre efforts to legislating in religion and morals on their own merits as opposed to simple greed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 13, 2013 - 8:11PM #6
TemplarS

Apr 10, 2013 -- 11:48AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Of course, I doubt that religious fervor drove Kentuckians' enthusiasm for it as much as did the Almighty Dollar. Kansas does typically confine its more bizarre efforts to legislating in religion and morals on their own merits as opposed to simple greed.

I disagree.  What does opposing climate change legislation and sustainable development have to do with religion?

It seems to me it has everything to do with greed; not, perhaps, the greed of the people of Kansas who are guilty of nothing more than electing morons; but the greed of the special interests that are funding these initiatives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 14, 2013 - 3:33AM #7
DotNotInOz
We aren't disagreeing, Templar. I think you misunderstood my point that past attempts at nutty legislation in Kansas which made national news involved things like mandating intelligent design rather than enriching the already wealthy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 14, 2013 - 11:22AM #8
GodtheFather

Kansas' take on string theory.

The best lack all conviction yet the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

Yates
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 14, 2013 - 11:55AM #9
costrel

Apr 13, 2013 -- 8:11PM, TemplarS wrote:

I disagree.  What does opposing climate change legislation and sustainable development have to do with religion?

It has a lot to do with religion. Rejecting global warming is considered to be the correct Christian response. And accepting global warming is considered un-Christian for a number of reasons: 1) God commanded human beings to subdue the earth, 2) Only God can destroy the earth -- he did it once with water, and will do it again with fire; and 3) global warming and other environmental concerns is part of either earth-based, pagan, and New Age spiritualities that worship the Earth (and thus worshipping the creation) rather than worshipping God the Father and the Creator. Just try discussing climate change or environmental activism with a Christian from the prairie sometime and see what happens. I guarantee you'll get an earful, complete with scriptural references. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 14, 2013 - 12:13PM #10
Ebon

Apr 14, 2013 -- 11:55AM, costrel wrote:

Rejecting global warming is considered to be the correct Christian response.

I think this is because "Christian" in the States has come to mean "conservative Republican". The pieces of Scripture trotted out are just a thin cover for what's really a political agenda.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook