Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 14+ Hurt in Stabbing Spree
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 2:28PM #1
Ironhold
link

When I saw that it had taken place at a college here in Texas, I was originally afraid that it was one of the ones near me.

But yes - at least 14 students have been stabbed at a college in Houston, a college that previously had a shooting take place at a branch campus back in January.

What's going on down there?
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 2:48PM #2
WannabeTheo

And the difference between a shooting spree and a stabbing spree: so far, no one has died.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 2:57PM #3
Ebon

Is everyone ok?

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 3:02PM #4
mountain_man

Apr 9, 2013 -- 2:28PM, Ironhold wrote:

link

When I saw that it had taken place at a college here in Texas, I was originally afraid that it was one of the ones near me.

But yes - at least 14 students have been stabbed at a college in Houston, a college that previously had a shooting take place at a branch campus back in January.

What's going on down there?

Nothing new. This is where it all started. Well... not this exact Texas college campus, but Texas is where the first "mass shooting" took place in the USA that I know of.

Just a side note, this was also the LAST mass shooting where armed civilians made a difference. Not one of them hit the shooter though.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 4:26PM #5
Aka_me

Apr 9, 2013 -- 2:48PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

And the difference between a shooting spree and a stabbing spree: so far, no one has died.

if we compared body count from shooting sprees, with body count from overall murder statistics...

do you know how they would stack up?

if discussing specific incidents has value can we discuss this incident?

there can be no meaning or value to life, in a universe devoid of meaning and value... because the moment those who knew you are gone, you will never have existed at all.

if you see anyone not screaming at the top of their lungs THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING! then for prophet Gore's sake help them see the light that doing so is the only means we have of getting off fossil fuel.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 4:50PM #6
CoolWarrior

AKA:

You forgot the NRA meme of Car Accidents too.

Do NRA supporters even think about the import of what they're saying?

One suspects not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 5:01PM #7
WannabeTheo

Apr 9, 2013 -- 4:26PM, Aka_me wrote:

Apr 9, 2013 -- 2:48PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

if we compared body count from shooting sprees, with body count from overall murder statistics...

do you know how they would stack up?

if discussing specific incidents has value can we discuss this incident?

If we compare the body count of those who die from shooting crimes and accidental shootings, and compare them to the number of people saved by the private citizen with a gun...

I suspect guns would come out not looking so good.

But thanks for the isolated anecdote.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 5:02PM #8
WannabeTheo

Apr 9, 2013 -- 4:50PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

AKA:

You forgot the NRA meme of Car Accidents too.

Do NRA supporters even think about the import of what they're saying?

One suspects not.

Indeed, discussion boards are filled with people asking "Why don't the libs try to outlaw knives now?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 5:05PM #9
Ebon

Apr 9, 2013 -- 5:02PM, WannabeTheo wrote:

Indeed, discussion boards are filled with people asking "Why don't the libs try to outlaw knives now?"

We've tried that here (by measures supported by the centre-right Labour party). It doesn't work.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 5:08PM #10
CoolWarrior

Here's the current info:

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/09/1767...

Two victims are believed to be in critical condition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook