Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Prettiest, Best-Loved Mouseketeer Dies
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2013 - 3:19PM #1
DotNotInOz

This is a death that will be felt most keenly by the baby boomers, I expect.

Annette Funicello has died after a little over 20 years of living courageously with MS.

There were lots of Mouseketeers during the years The Mickey Mouse Club show was on tv, but none more beloved or easily recognized than Annette. In fact, she was so well known in the 1950's and 60's that just the name "Annette" was enough for kids and teens to know who was meant.

Truly a "girl next door" from an era when that meant sweet, innocent and precisely what mom and dad wanted in a daughter.

I bet there was a director's chair with "Annette" emblazoned across its back waiting for her in heaven.  

www.cnn.com/2013/04/08/showbiz/annette-f...       

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2013 - 4:22PM #2
CoolWarrior

I hope she's at peace now. From what I read those years with her disease condition were very difficult for her.

Requiestat in pacem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 3:08PM #3
Do_unto_others

"prettiest"???

Nawww. Timmy was that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 3:34PM #4
DotNotInOz

Ooops! How very 1950's of me to grant the prettiest accolade to Annette, DUO!

I stand altogether corrected, certainly politically so. < wink and grin >

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 3:56PM #5
Ebon

I altways thought guys were "handsome" rather than "pretty".

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 4:16PM #6
amcolph

I have always believed that  Annette was instrumental in bringing about the counterculture revolution of the 60s, the effects of which we still feel today and against which the Religious Right is still waging a rearguard battle.

In the 1950s, Italians (along with other southern and eastern Europeans) were not considered to be "white" people.  They were also largely Roman Catholic and so doubly suspicious.  White Protestant boys like me were especially warned to stay away from Catholic schoolgirls, dark, hairy, evil succubi charged with enslaving our souls for the Pope.

In 1956 Annette appeared on television and millions of young men realized that moral order of society which we had been taught was a lie and that the WASP establishment was not to be trusted, not about that certainly and perhaps not about anything.  What followed was a revolution we are still not finished with.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 4:36PM #7
mainecaptain

Apr 9, 2013 -- 3:56PM, Ebon wrote:

To add more confusion. I believe there are handsome men and pretty men. There is a difference. Its hard to explain, and being pretty does not necessarily mean effeminate looking. At least not in my book. Laughing

There are also beautiful men. ;)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 4:43PM #8
Do_unto_others

Apr 9, 2013 -- 3:56PM, Ebon wrote:

Nope. That hayseed in "Deliverance" said Ned Beatty had a "purdy mouth".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 6:20PM #9
DotNotInOz
Eeeek! Deliverance??? Horrors, what an example of "purdy" anything!

Geez, Mouseketeer Timmy or Frankie Avalon, yeah. Tim Considine, a Disney star of the 50's and early 60's, a hottie.

I'm of the theory expressed by a queen I worked with on college makeup crew when we realized we both were sneaking peeks at a Greek god of a male lead during his offstage speedy costume change:  "Honey," Tommy said to me, "Never forget that when they're gorgeous, they're gorgeous for us both. Now, if you don't like competition..." with a sassy wink.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2013 - 6:39PM #10
DotNotInOz

Thank you, Amcolph, for bringing your post about Annette's importance as an icon of the counter-revolution of the 60's to this memorial thread.

The early 60's ushered in the beginnings of several significant cultural changes. I expect she'd be privately pleased that you consider her so important but would modestly disavow that she was, compared with the marchers for civil rights, the lunch counter sit-ins and King's efforts to awaken the nation to the fact that people are people, and skin color only pigment.

But, I agree, despite having done a "HUH? WHAT?" upon first reading what you said about her changing perceptions of Catholics and Italians. Very astute observation, I thought after some consideration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook