Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
1 year ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 11:44PM #1
solfeggio

In a new report by Harvard University researcher Linda Bilmes, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost up to six trillion dollars, making them the most expensive wars in U.S. history.

research.hks.harvard.edu/publications/wo...

Medical care and disabilities account for the single largest accrued liability.  Bilmes reported that more than half of the 1.5 million troops discharged from active duty since 9/11 have received medical treatment at veterans' hospitals and will continue to receive benefits for the rest of their lives.  More than 253,000 of those troops have received traumatic brain injuries.

www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/cost-of...

And, according to a report by the Associated Press, 'most war-related costs are actually incurred after the wars themselves are concluded.'

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-still-ma...

news.yahoo.com/ap-costs-us-wars-linger-o...

For exmaple, forty years after the last U.S. combat troops left Viet Nam, the government is still paying veterans and their families more than $22 billion a year in war-related claims.

As the report concluded, 'The legacy of Iraq and Afghanistan wars will be costs that persist for decades.'    

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 3:09AM #2
Aka_me

news.yahoo.com/ap-costs-us-wars-linger-1...

we're still payin for the civil war.

the accumulative effect of

"support for previous wars"

"operations of current war"

"wear and tear on current equipment"

next generation hardware (fighters, carriers, refuelers, nukeclear subs)

means we stand a very good change of going the way of the Soviet Union.

buzz buzz... that dizzy fly is wrong to even think he can be an annoying.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 11:07AM #3
SeraphimR

Mar 30, 2013 -- 11:44PM, solfeggio wrote:

In a new report by Harvard University researcher Linda Bilmes, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost up to six trillion dollars, making them the most expensive wars in U.S. history.

research.hks.harvard.edu/publications/wo...

Medical care and disabilities account for the single largest accrued liability.  Bilmes reported that more than half of the 1.5 million troops discharged from active duty since 9/11 have received medical treatment at veterans' hospitals and will continue to receive benefits for the rest of their lives.  More than 253,000 of those troops have received traumatic brain injuries.

www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/cost-of...

And, according to a report by the Associated Press, 'most war-related costs are actually incurred after the wars themselves are concluded.'

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/u-still-ma...

news.yahoo.com/ap-costs-us-wars-linger-o...

For exmaple, forty years after the last U.S. combat troops left Viet Nam, the government is still paying veterans and their families more than $22 billion a year in war-related claims.

As the report concluded, 'The legacy of Iraq and Afghanistan wars will be costs that persist for decades.'    

Just think of it as "economic stimulus."

The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:30PM #4
Fodaoson

Only 15 states were independent republics  before becoming a State of the United States. All 15 had a relatively sameness culturally and a common dominant language. The rest of the states were created by the federal government with populations and  cultures from the US. All fifty states share a common language, heritage and culture and sub cultures. 

In a capitalist economy even war production creates economic activity, profits, capital and worker incentive.  In an entrepreneurship society, the resource shortages created by war needs inspires inventiveness and creation of alternative products. 

In communist  economy  economic capital is not created, worker incentive is low .  War production was at the cost of consumer goods.

The Soviet Union was comprised of independent Nations  with a long history of independence, differing in National  languages, cultures  and  economies.  Each States was  occupied by Russian controlled military and police forces.

Ronald Reagan did not bring down the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev did.  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 3:08PM #5
rabello

Mar 30, 2013 -- 11:49PM, jane2 wrote:

YOU don't have to pay !!!

Everybody in the world pays for America's wars, one way or the other.  

Besides that fact, your claim is off-topic

And what you post isn't news..................

It most certainly IS news.  The report just came out last week and was reported, for the first time, in the MSM, and MSNBC, just last week.  THAT is "news".   Used to be we had estimates.  Now we have actual figures -- people who keep up with the news have the figures, that is.  Read the links that link to *current* *news* reports!

And NZ doesn't provide for its own security.

Off topic.

NZ was a member of Bush's Coalition of the Willing and I believe suffered casualties from America's wars/

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 7:07PM #6
solfeggio

Thank you, Rabello.

It's off-topic, I know, but I suppose I should provide a short post here in response to the mention of NZ participation in America's wars.

Actually, New Zealand has suffered any number of casualties in America's wars.  Of course, WWII was a global conflict, and not strictly America's war, but it is a fact that our Kiwi soldiers suffered proportionately more casualties than any of the other allies.

Our Royal New Zealand air crews participated in the Berlin AirLift of 1948-49.

There were almost 4000 Kiwis serving in the Korean War. 

Viet Nam was a controversial conflict for NZ, in which this country fought as part of the ANZUS pact.  As in America at the time, there were widespread anti-Viet Nam war protest movements.

We lost 37 killed and 197 wounded in Viet Nam. 

The New Zealand government officially condemned the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 and has not contributed any armed forces to that conflict.  However, New Zealand has sent engineers to help with post-war reconstruction.

And, yes, there are New Zealanders presently stationed in Afghanistan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 7:53PM #7
jane2

Mar 31, 2013 -- 7:07PM, solfeggio wrote:

Thank you, Rabello.

It's off-topic, I know, but I suppose I should provide a short post here in response to what one of the usual suspects has mentioned about NZ participation in America's wars.

Actually, New Zealand has suffered any number of casualties in America's wars.  Of course, WWII was a global conflict, and not strictly America's war, but it is a fact that our Kiwi soldiers suffered proportionately more casualties than any of the other allies.

Viet Nam was a controversial conflict for NZ, in which this country fought as part of the ANZUS pact.  As in America at the time, there were widespread anti-Viet Nam war protest movements.

The New Zealand government officially condemned the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 and has not contributed any armed forces to that conflict.  However, New Zealand has sent engineers to help with post-war reconstruction.

Let us start in the early-to later forties. Britain was our allies and we suppoted them always.But as the Pacific war went forward no one COULD help the Americans. In essence the US alone defeated Japan. Several uncles of mine fought in the Pacific, my uncle Tom, a Marine on Iwo Jima.

My husband served as a civilian on loan from Justice to USAID in VietNam. Had lunch with Nugnen Kao Ky at the Circle Sportif. Nam was intriquate. We knew that.

Iraq was uncalled for.

I'm not a suspect but almost always disagree with disparagent of the US. We are not a perfect nation, but few others are either, including NZ.

Just for fun too--we are the most powerful.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 8:57PM #8
rabello

Mar 31, 2013 -- 7:53PM, jane2 wrote:

Let us start in the early-to later forties. Britain was our allies and we suppoted them always.But as the Pacific war went forward no one COULD help the Americans. In essence the US alone defeated Japan. Several uncles of mine fought in the Pacific, my uncle Tom, a Marine on Iwo Jima.

My husband served as a civilian on loan from Justice to USAID in VietNam. Had lunch with Nugnen Kao Ky at the Circle Sportif. Nam was intriquate. We knew that.

All of that is off-topic

Mar 31, 2013 -- 7:53PM, jane2 wrote:

I'm not a suspect but almost always disagree with disparagent of the US. We are not a perfect nation, but few others are either, including NZ.

Get a grip. Nobody is disparaging the US by providing a link to the results of a HARVARD UNIV scientist's research about the total cost of the war on Iraq.  Harvard University is in the United States, so if you are accusing the Harvard scientist of disparaging the US, just say so.

Mar 31, 2013 -- 7:07PM, solfeggio wrote:

Thank you, Rabello.

It's off-topic, I know, but I suppose I should provide a short post here in response to what one of the usual suspects has mentioned about NZ participation in America's wars.

Understandable, that you would provide that information, considering the petty stuff that gets posted here just to ruin discussions and derail threads.  Thank you for setting me straight on the moral courage of the New Zealand government in condemning the invasion of Iraq.   Good on the Kiwis. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 8:57PM #9
farragut

If every nation that wished to call itself independent maintained a sufficient military to protect that independence, the US would not need to maintain, at its own expense, the military to protect the others from the predators, terrorists, and egomaniacs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 9:03PM #10
jane2

Mar 31, 2013 -- 8:57PM, farragut wrote:

If every nation that wished to call itself independent maintained a sufficient military to protect that independence, the US would not need to maintain, at its own expense, the military to protect the others from the predators, terrorists, and egomaniacs.

Just so.......................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook