Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View No Medals for Ft. Hood Shooting Victims
1 year ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 9:45AM #1
Ironhold
link

For those who do not recall, a few years ago a lone gunman went on a shooting rampage here at Ft. Hood, killing several people and wounding a number of others. A suspect - a disgruntled Army officer known as Maj. Nadal Hasan, an active Muslim who was hesitant to deploy to the Middle East - was apprehended the same day, but due to a series of technicalities and other legal maneuvers the trial has yet to begin.

The families of the wounded and the deceased have been pushing for their loved ones to receive the Purple Heart, the US military's award for receiving an injury in the line of duty.

However, the federal government - this time, the Department of Defense - has consistently been refusing their requests.

You see, the government has refused all efforts to classify what took place as terrorism - even refusing the title "domestic terrorism" - because they fear that it will somehow bias the trial against Hasan, especially in regards to his religion. As an extension of this, they feel that giving Purple Hearts for the incident will be a backhanded admission that it was a terrorist action.

Folks, the way I see it, enough material has already come out as a result of the investigations that "referring to what took place as terrorism" won't change things either way. And since Hasan is up for multiple counts of murder, any additional terrorism charges would be redundant if he's convicted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 10:31AM #2
mountain_man

The Department of Defense says; "The criteria for the Purple Heart award state that the injury must have been caused by enemy action or in action against the enemy and has to be of a degree requiring treatment by a medical officer."

Here is a PDF with a history of the medal.

I always thought you had to be in a battle, in a war zone, to get the medal. I'd rather not see the medal diluted by giving it for any injury while in the military.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:28AM #3
Aka_me

Mar 30, 2013 -- 9:45AM, Ironhold wrote:

but due to a series of technicalities and other legal maneuvers the trial has yet to begin.

The Defense Department document says that to expand the Purple Heart criteria to include “domestic criminal acts or domestic terror attacks would be a dramatic departure” from traditional criteria.

revisionism... now morphing the purple heart, what won't revisionism touch next?

if Hasan walks because of the government, I'm not sure what the right word for that would be.

buzz buzz... that dizzy fly is wrong to even think he can be an annoying.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:29AM #4
Aka_me

Mar 30, 2013 -- 10:31AM, mountain_man wrote:

The Department of Defense says; "The criteria for the Purple Heart award state that the injury must have been caused by enemy action or in action against the enemy and has to be of a degree requiring treatment by a medical officer."

Here is a PDF with a history of the medal.

I always thought you had to be in a battle, in a war zone, to get the medal. I'd rather not see the medal diluted by giving it for any injury while in the military.

hey!

is that a bandaid on your boo boo from the obsticle course?

you better swing by the front office and pick up a purple heart for that?

buzz buzz... that dizzy fly is wrong to even think he can be an annoying.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:39AM #5
Ebon

Mar 30, 2013 -- 9:45AM, Ironhold wrote:

You see, the government has refused all efforts to classify what took place as terrorism - even refusing the title "domestic terrorism" - because they fear that it will somehow bias the trial against Hasan, especially in regards to his religion. As an extension of this, they feel that giving Purple Hearts for the incident will be a backhanded admission that it was a terrorist action.

That would be because it wasn't terrorism. For something to be terrorism, it has to be a violent act aimed at changing government policy through coercion. Just being an act of violence committed by a Muslim doesn't make it a terrorist act.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 11:20AM #6
mountain_man

My reservations about giving a Purple Heart to those killed in that murder spree is that they did not willingly and knowingly enter a combat zone. They were not killed in a combat situation. I always thought a Purple Heart was for an injury sustained during combat, with the enemy, in a war zone.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 11:29AM #7
DotNotInOz
I agree. This was not terrorism and certainly not combat. No Purple Hearts should be awarded.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 1:44PM #8
Fodaoson

Purple Heart are for Combat wounds, In a war zone persons receiving non-combat wounds and injuries are NOT awarded purple  hearts even if the injury is in the line of duty i.e. seriously injury while working on equipment,  even confirmed friendly fire injuries do not qualify. IT is awarded post humous.

Some of the delay of Hasan’s trial is his civil rights, and his medical condition. He is paralyzed from the waist down as result of being wounded by gunshot while being apprehended.   Since Hasa is an American Soldier, wounded in the same incident by an other American soldier. If the soldiers wounded in the incident were to receive Purple hearts , Major Hasan would be eligible also.   Because he has not yet been adjudicated as guilty, he is still innocent until so proven. Our rule of constitutional law is a bummer for some  sometimes.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:05PM #9
Fodaoson

Sorry, too much reliance on spellcheck and not editing. I corrected it, thanks  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 31, 2013 - 2:55PM #10
Miraj

Not terrorism, no Purple Hearts required.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook