Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What's Up with North Korea?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 12:07AM #1
mountain_man
North Korea says they are at war with South Korea.

Is this guy for real, or is all this rhetoric for internal consumption? He could just be trying to impress his own people. Or he could be serious. Anyone have any insight on this?
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 1:18AM #2
TemplarS

I guess it's just bluster, but what do I know?

The only guy with any special insight seems to be Dennis Rodman.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 10:15AM #3
farragut

All it will take is for one of his generals to take seriously his bluster. I hope we are seriously prepared to smash every decent target in his god-cursed country.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 12:12PM #4
Larosser

Mar 30, 2013 -- 10:15AM, farragut wrote:

All it will take is for one of his generals to take seriously his bluster. I hope we are seriously prepared to smash every decent target in his god-cursed country.

Yeah, I am trying hard to find my buddhist nature on this, but what I REALLY want to say to Kim Jung Un is..."skin that smokewagon and see what happens."

La

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 7:43PM #5
TemplarS

The fact is, the North can basically do nothing to the US.

Start anything, they lose big time, and good riddance.

But they can pretty much devastate the South in the process.  That's 50 million people; the North can surely hit them with  their firepower, while it lasts.  Is that worth it?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 7:49PM #6
Larosser

Mar 30, 2013 -- 7:43PM, TemplarS wrote:

The fact is, the North can basically do nothing to the US.

Start anything, they lose big time, and good riddance.

But they can pretty much devastate the South in the process.  That's 50 million people; the North can surely hit them with  their firepower, while it lasts.  Is that worth it?

TemplarS-

On a human level, war is rarely "worth it".  I'd hate to see the the individuals of the Korean peninsula - South AND North - experience that. I'd also hate to give an excuse for certain other parties to dip their wicks in the resulting chaos. That's what my better self says. And that's how I'd vote and promote. But none of it keeps me from wanting to thump KJU in the forehead. That's not modelling good buddhism, but there you have it. :)

La

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 8:34PM #7
Ebon

I suspect this is just sabre-rattling from KJU to impress his populace and assert his, still relatively new, power. I don't think it'll come to anything.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 9:20PM #8
mountain_man

Most likely it is just bluster.... but this could get out of hand real fast. North Korea, especially the past 3 dictators, has made big noises like this and were then "paid off" with a couple ship loads of food or some kind of aid.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 9:38PM #9
rangerken

What happens if this time there is no payoff... or better stated, bribe?

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2013 - 9:48PM #10
mountain_man

Who knows? This guy is unstable. It looks like there might not be a pay off this time. Even Russia, one of NK's few friends in the world, is getting tired of the games.

What's Seal Team 6 doing for the next week or so?Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook