Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Prison for Animal Abuse
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 5:13PM #1
solfeggio
Mexico City's legislative assembly have unamimously approved up to two-year prison terms for anyone who intentionally abuses or causes harm to animals.  If the animal is killed, the person could face up to four years in prison.

www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/29/3160482/m...

Considering the unspeakable abuse some people inflict upon animals, I believe what Mexico City is doing is certainly a step in the right direction.  Animal cruelty deserves serious punishment, because we should never trivialise the sufferings of certain groups by classing them as less worthy or less significant.

Here in New Zealand the maximum term of imprisonment for ill-treatment of an animal is three years, with a maximum fine of $50,000.   People convicted of being involved in dog-fighting face a maximum penalty of six-months' jail and/or $25,000 fine.   

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c...  

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 8:51PM #2
farragut

That's commendable. Now if they could just do something about their proclivity to murdering people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 9:16PM #3
jane2

Dec 30, 2012 -- 8:51PM, farragut wrote:

That's commendable. Now if they could just do something about their proclivity to murdering people.

My reaction also......

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 9:25PM #4
solfeggio

This thread is about NONHUMN ANIMAL abuse, not about humans killing humans.

There are always plenty of threads talking about what humans do to each other, but precious few dealing with what humans do to our nonhuman relatives, whose lives and whose welfare are every bit as important as the lives and welfare of humans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 10:23PM #5
jane2

Solf

You do not live in our hemisphere, nor in a country that borders Mexico. Murder statistics from Mexico are overwhelming : drug cartels, gun running are rampent and often cross borders.

Farragut's reaction and mine were very similar.

OP's do not control responses.

I am for animal presevation within parameters but I find the murder of humans much more distressing. The murder of humans in Mexico City is daunting and it does cross our borders.

Many of us DO NOT equate the value of the life of non-human animals with the life of Humans as you do and this, too, will come to the fore.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 11:19PM #6
solfeggio

I do not care what the murder statistics for Mexico are.  This thread is not concerned with Mexican murder statistics.  This thread has to do with animal abuse, pure and simple, in Mexico or the States or anywhere else.

Causing pain and suffering and death to helpless creatures is vile and despicable, and people who would do this should be punished to the full extent of the law.

If Mexico is going to do that, then good for Mexico.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 31, 2012 - 10:34AM #7
farragut

No, Solfeggio, this thread has nothing to do with animal abuse; it has to do with a meaningless law. Murder is in Mexico against the law. Few of the perps are apprehended or punished. The murder rate remains the highest in the hemisphere. Drug-running is against the law. Drug-running is rampant. Now it will be illegal to kick your dog. Guess what?

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 31, 2012 - 1:26PM #8
mytmouse57

I think one point Solf might be trying to make is, at least this law is a step in the right direction. 

Personally, I don't see it as a zero-sum thing. You don't have to decide between treating animals well, and people treating one another better.

There's no reason we can't do both. In fact, I think they play off of one another. Kindness can be just as catching as cruelty is. And, cruelty to animals can be an indicator of how humans will be treated.

There's an old Native American Indian saying that comes to mind:

"He who does not respect those who walk on four legs, cannot respect those who walk on two."

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 31, 2012 - 6:23PM #9
solfeggio

Mouse,

Thank you for your post, which expresses my thought better than I could myself.  Wink

I think that the Native American saying was especially apt.

Mexico does not have the highest rate of murders in the Western Hemisphere.  That honour belongs to countries like Columbia, Honduras, Venezuela, Jamaica, Guatemala, and El Salvador.

Getting back to animal abuse: Which is the world's safest country for animals?

The countries of the European Union tend to have the best animal protection laws.  For example, in 2008 Spain granted great apes human rights.  And Sweden, Belgium, Austria, and Britain ban experiments on great apes.

By contrast, the U.S. is the only developed country that still experiments on chimpanzees.

Countries like Sweden, Norway, and Iceland prohibit ear cropping and tail docking in dogs.  In Italy, it is illegal to boil lobsters alive or to keep goldfish in glass bowls.

Even China has drafted an animal protection law.

globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08...

In the U.S., California has the strongest animal protection laws.

articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/08/local/l...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 31, 2012 - 7:40PM #10
jane2

Solf

The US is much larger and much more diversified than many of the nations you cite. This alone would create differences among our 50 States in rules about treatment of animals.

Your choice of Mexico was perhaps unwise on a board that is mainly American. Just in my state of Georgia we must spend millions in stopping drug trafficking and the murder and mayhem it causes. The traffickers are mainly Mexican and other Latin Americans.

In the eighties when our son was a cadet at our Coast Guard Academy he spent half his summers on USCG cutters intercepting drug runners on the Atlantic shore--Latin American drug runners.

This is no small matter to Americans.

Not all of us need be involved in your pet projects.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook