Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Death Penalty for Indian Gang-Rapists?
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 5:12PM #1
solfeggio
There has been a mass outpouring of grief and anger over the death of the 23-year-old woman who died after suffering a senseless, horrific gang-rape on a bus in India nearly two weeks ago.  Six people who have been accused of the rape and murder could face the death penalty.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/si...

www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/29/us-in...

Should the attackers suffer the death penalty?  And, if they were put to death, would this be a strong enough warning to other potential rapists to keep them from harming other women?

If the rapists were instead given life sentences, what sort of lives would they have in an Indian prison?

A little research has shown that India's prisons date back to the British colonial era, and there has been no prison reform since 1920.  As you might expect, India's prisons are crumbling buildings housing thousands of prisoners in appalling conditions.

www.countercurrents.org/hr-zora260805.ht...

Would a life sentence, then, be a better form of punishment for the rapists than ending their lives?

I confess that I just don't know.              

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 6:44PM #2
arielg

I don't believe in killing them or locking them up to rot in jail. That kind of justice makes no sense to me. 

I think they should do something constructive to pay for their crimes. They should be put   to work for the benefit of the girl's family and other rape victims.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 8:01PM #3
hamerhas

What kind of  " work " would prove beneficial to the family of one who had items  " shoved in

her body " ?

Just curious ?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 8:09PM #4
steven_guy

It was an awful crime with a tragic result. Let us not be so crass as to turn a thread into a place for revenge-junkies to vent.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 8:16PM #5
teilhard

Slavery ... ???

Dec 29, 2012 -- 6:44PM, arielg wrote:

I don't believe in killing them or locking them up to rot in jail. That kind of justice makes no sense to me. 

I think they should do something constructive to pay for their crimes. They should be put   to work for the benefit of the girl's family and other rape victims.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 8:54PM #6
hamerhas

Dec 29, 2012 -- 8:09PM, steven_guy wrote:

It was an awful crime with a tragic result. Let us not be so crass as to turn a thread into a place for revenge-junkies to vent.

True justice is never about "revenge'

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Dec 30, 2012 - 10:31AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 9:08PM #7
farragut

I would suggest that, if proven guilty, they should be drawn and quartered. But only if provided for under Indian law.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 10:55PM #8
Stardove

An Indian woman whose gang-rape aboard a bus in New Delhi spawned mass protests has died, according to a doctor who was treating her at a Singapore hospital.

Story on CNN

Attackers assaulted the woman and her male companion on a bus December 16, robbing them of their belongings before dumping them at the side of a road, police said. Six suspects are now under arrest, including the bus driver and a minor

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2012 - 11:43PM #9
IreneAdler

Would be nice to have these rapists serve the family of the woman they murdered.  Surely this is more productive than death penalty or prison. But that would mean the public would be placed at risk for a repeat rape or other crime by these rapists should the opportunity present itself.  Is this worth it?

Perhaps their sentence should be to spend all their waking hours actively working to eradicate all violence against women. Not sure how that would be enforced or again, how to make sure they don’t harm more women, as this means they would be working among the general public.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2012 - 12:14PM #10
TemplarS

I confess that I care little for what happens to these individuals, beyond the point that if I lived in India, the one thing I would not wish to see is them walking the streets ever again.  

But beyond the case of these men, the appalling thing once again is the continuing open disregard for women in South  Asia. There was another case in India I read about over the weekend, where a young girl was raped, reported it, was demeaned and humiliated by the police, and committed suicide.

One would hope that, as with the case of Malala Yousufzai in Pakistan, this case will serve as a wakeup call for those societies.  This Indian case has already sparked mass protests.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook