Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View THE BEST WAY TO TRAVEL and the Fastest Train
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 12:26AM #1
Dostojevsky
Terminal velocity: China tests world's longest high-speed rail line in the world.

I thought this was interesting, always preffered train travel to any other. The best way to see countryside 

China has set a new record by successfully testing the longest high-speed rail line in the world, capable of covering 700 kilometers in only two and a half hours.

More than 100 reporters had the chance to experience the top speed of over 300 km an hour on the northern segment of the 2,298 kilometer Beijing-Guangzhou high-speed railway line. Their 693 km test drive from Beijing to Zhengzhou took only two and a half hours to complete.

The entire route is expected to open on December 26 and is designed to reduce the travel time to about 8 hours from the current 20 plus hours by the existing lines. The railway has 35 stops and is designed to hit speeds of 350 km per hour.
The aerodynamic bullet train makes little noise and offers reclining seats and a stainless steel toilet with slightly more bathroom space than would usually be found on an airliner.

China's high-speed rail network was only established in 2007, by 2010 it already covered 8,358 kilometers of track. China aims to increase that number to 16,000 kilometers by 2020.
rt.com/news/chinas-high-speed-train-657/

That's what all the countries should be doing; spend their money on their own people and not on wars. imho* 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 2:21AM #2
Fodaoson

At over 200 mph  there will not be a good viewof  the country 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 3:59AM #3
shmuelgoldstein

Dec 23, 2012 -- 12:26AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

... That's what all the countries should be doing; spend their money on their own people and not on wars. imho* 

Kewl.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 11:15AM #4
TemplarS

The thing about China is, it is always easier to invest in new technologies when there is no existing infrastucture.   You can either build high speed rail, or low speed rail/roads/airports/planes etc.

But I agree, rail needs to be part of the transportation web.  Even in the US today, the Acela (not high speed, but 150 MPH or so) is the best way to get from, say, NYC to Washington.  The drive is horrible and the airlines/airports in the US these days are beyond help; while the Acela is a very pleasant trip.

And, sure, you can see the scenery from 200 MPH.  Just not the closest few hundred feet.  I've got a series of very nice photos taken from the bullet train in Japan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 11:29AM #5
mountain_man

Dec 23, 2012 -- 12:26AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

...That's what all the countries should be doing; spend their money on their own people and not on wars. imho*

We're trying in California. The idea was proposed in the late 1990's, funding approved in 2008, and the first leg is scheduled to come online in 2022. The whole thing will be finished in 2029. Add at least three years to those dates.

Not a very good way to build things.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2012 - 5:17PM #6
in_my_opinion

They need to stop building stuff on the surface and dig undergrounds so that less environmental damage and animal paths are endangered.

It is costlier in the short-term but there are savings in insulation as well as disaster protection from everything except earthquake and terrorism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2012 - 5:28AM #7
Dostojevsky

Dec 23, 2012 -- 2:21AM, Fodaoson wrote:

At over 200 mph  there will not be a good view of  the country 

Yes I suppose if you look sideways...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2012 - 7:22AM #8
in_my_opinion

Dec 24, 2012 -- 5:28AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Dec 23, 2012 -- 2:21AM, Fodaoson wrote:

At over 200 mph  there will not be a good view of  the country 

Yes I suppose if you look sideways...

If we keep roading, railing, bridging, roofing, sky-scraping and parking lotting everything; there won't be anything to look at except our own arrogant and careless "progress".

Build under the land or waters, ya dig?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2012 - 7:51AM #9
Jupiter6208

It's the earthquakes that would concern me.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

What the heart loves, the will chooses, and the mind justifies.”

― Thomas Cranmer
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2012 - 8:56AM #10
Ebon

I've always preferred to travel by train. I'm too big to comfortably fit in a coach seat and being crammed in a small metal box for hours on end is just torture. Rail is by far the most civilised way to travel. I can stretch my legs, have a cup of coffee and read the paper.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook