Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Persecution of Atheists
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 7:49PM #1
mountain_man
Atheists around the world are still being persecuted. Even here in the USA.

Here's the article.

A quote:

The report, "Freedom of Thought 2012", said "there are laws that deny atheists' right to exist, curtail their freedom of belief and expression, revoke their right to citizenship, restrict their right to marry."

Other laws "obstruct their access to public education, prohibit them from holding public office, prevent them from working for the state, criminalize their criticism of religion, and execute them for leaving the religion of their parents."

Here's the quote about the USA:

In at least seven U.S. states, constitutional provisions are in place that bar atheists from public office and one state, Arkansas, has a law that bars an atheist from testifying as a witness at a trial, the report said.

The progress of humanity still has a long ways to go.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 8:09PM #2
Esdraelon

Jeez!

Yeah, just like they had the anti-sodomy laws in practically state but basically never enforced them.....

There are dumb 'laws' in every state, especially Florida where it's illegal to fart in public after 6PM.....

Leave such posts to the drama queens

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 8:42PM #3
mytmouse57

Dec 10, 2012 -- 8:09PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Jeez!

Yeah, just like they had the anti-sodomy laws in practically state but basically never enforced them.....

There are dumb 'laws' in every state, especially Florida where it's illegal to fart in public after 6PM.....

Well, if ever in Florida, I'll make sure to let 'em rip no later than 5:59 p.m.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 8:45PM #4
Esdraelon

Dec 10, 2012 -- 8:42PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Jeez!

I'll try to stay upwind...........

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:16PM #5
jane2

Dec 10, 2012 -- 7:49PM, mountain_man wrote:

Here's the article.

A quote:

The report, "Freedom of Thought 2012", said "there are laws that deny atheists' right to exist, curtail their freedom of belief and expression, revoke their right to citizenship, restrict their right to marry."

Other laws "obstruct their access to public education, prohibit them from holding public office, prevent them from working for the state, criminalize their criticism of religion, and execute them for leaving the religion of their parents."

In at least seven U.S. states, constitutional provisions are in place that bar atheists from public office and one state, Arkansas, has a law that bars an atheist from testifying as a witness at a trial, the report said.

Dave, yes it does.

Truthfully, I had no idea such laws exist. They are a travesty of all most of us believe. Having a faith or no faith should be an option for all.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:29PM #6
Esdraelon

Dec 10, 2012 -- 9:16PM, jane2 wrote:

Dec 10, 2012 -- 7:49PM, mountain_man wrote:

Here's the article.

A quote:

Dave, yes it does.

Truthfully, I had no idea such laws exist. They are a travesty of all most of us believe. Having a faith or no faith should be an option for all.

Of course they exist(ed) read the charters of the original 13 US colonies, they all had the same stipulations, only atheist was 'non-christian'...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:29PM #7
jane2

Dec 10, 2012 -- 8:45PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Jeez!

Just read your profile and that explains much.

Had to laugh at your equating some Southern Tech college with GA TECH. All three of my children actually graduated from GA TECH--not some spin-off.

You are an evange, fundamentalist christian. So be it, but can't take you seriously, even with that Dove avatar.

I f you haven't noticed this is not the Georgia of your childhood--so homongenized. Now you have to put up with the Carpetbaggers thanks to Hartsfield-Jackson. In the 1800s Atlanta was a railroad hub. Now it hosts the world's busiest airport.

Im stuck with a jerk congressman but I can contribute to national campaigns I favor. That's what Hartsfield-Jackson has brought here.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:39PM #8
mytmouse57

The last people to be really persecuted in this country were Southern blacks, pre-civil rights, and Japanese-Americans during World War Two.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:41PM #9
loveontheair

Hello,

From what I can tell there is more persecution towards Christians than there is any other and that includes here on Bnet.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2012 - 9:45PM #10
Esdraelon

Dec 10, 2012 -- 9:29PM, jane2 wrote:

Dec 10, 2012 -- 8:45PM, Esdraelon wrote:

Jeez!

Just read your profile and that explains much.

Had to laugh at your equating some Southern Tech college with GA TECH. All three of my children actually graduated from GA TECH--not some spin-off.

You are an evange, fundamentalist christian. So be it, but can't take you seriously, even with that Dove avatar.

I f you haven't noticed this is not the Georgia of your childhood--so homongenized. Now you have to put up with the Carpetbaggers thanks to Hartsfield-Jackson. In the 1800s Atlanta was a railroad hub. Now it hosts the world's busiest airport.

Im stuck with a jerk congressman but I can contribute to national campaigns I favor. That's what Hartsfield-Jackson has brought here.

J.

You and I have discussed this before albeit on more amiable terms.

I started at GA Tech but being totally deaf, I was unable to follow professors in auditoriums with 150 students. Thus Southern Tech came into the picture.

Congratulations on your brilliant family.

And the point was in reply to your 'never knew there were such laws'....I pointed out that there have always been such laws, but I did not indicate in any way, shape, nor form that I supported such....that's wholly your assumption.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook