Switch to Forum Live View Most / least corrupt nations
2 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2012 - 9:46AM #1
TemplarS
Interesting survey here.

www.transparency.org/cpi2012/results

Few surprises, actually.  Scandinavian and northern European countries (and NZ, Solf!) generally rate as the least corrupt.

Middle Eastern countries (and North Korea) generally the worst.  Bottom 4: Somalia, North Korea, Afghanistan and Sudan.

Interesting that Communist or former Communist countries, including Russia and most of the former Soviet republics, rate very poorly. 

But, of course, it is all relative.  US and UK ranked pretty well (17th and 19th) respectively, out of 174.  Which worries me a bit, considering that I don't see the US as being all that great, particularly as regards politcal money.  The rest of the world must be really bad.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2012 - 3:51PM #2
solfeggio

This is a very interesting survey.  As I read in another site, corrupt activities by individuals and governments have a huge impact upon the world.  And, according to the Transparency site, corruption is a major threat facing humanity. 

What is so depressing about this list is that two-thirds of countries surveyed had a score of less than 50, which means that they are very corrupt.

In the European Union, the lowest ranking country was Greece, which is no surprise.  But China, the world's second-biggest economy, had a score of only 39.

Corruption includes bribery, abuse of power, and various secret deals made by governments around the world. 

Transparency International is based in Berlin and ranks 176 countries by perceived public sector corruption from thirteen data sources, including World Bank Country Policy and Institutional Assessment, African Development Bank, Freedom House Nations in Transit, and IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2012 - 3:57PM #3
Erey

I think Solf is right in that there are alot of tangental consequences to corruption that cripple and poison society.

If you consider our neighboor to the south, Mexico all the resources they have had and corruption has really limited them.

Corruption when discovered should not be tolerated because it is so hard to get rid of it once it takes hold. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2012 - 3:57PM #4
farragut

I suspect that 95% of the corruption in the US is centered around D.C. and N.Y.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2012 - 8:02PM #5
TemplarS

Dec 7, 2012 -- 3:51PM, solfeggio wrote:

But China, the world's second-biggest economy, had a score of only 39.

No surprise to anyone who has dealt with China.  To the West, they present the face of a dynamic, business-friendly county.  Internally, it is another matter.  They still think they can censor the internet.

I mentioned the abysmal ratings of Communist and former Communist countries (it is debatable as to which category China belongs to).   But logic dicates that in any system where you have a self-perpetuating elite group calling all the shots- corruption is a given.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2012 - 8:54PM #6
jane2

Dec 7, 2012 -- 8:02PM, TemplarS wrote:

Dec 7, 2012 -- 3:51PM, solfeggio wrote:

But China, the world's second-biggest economy, had a score of only 39.

No surprise to anyone who has dealt with China.  To the West, they present the face of a dynamic, business-friendly county.  Internally, it is another matter.  They still think they can censor the internet.

I mentioned the abysmal ratings of Communist and former Communist countries (it is debatable as to which category China belongs to).   But logic dicates that in any system where you have a self-perpetuating elite group calling all the shots- corruption is a given.

Indeed................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook