Switch to Forum Live View Dave Brubeck: Death of an American Jazz Master
1 year ago  ::  Dec 05, 2012 - 9:06PM #1
Merope

Dave Brubeck – pianist, composer, modern jazz American master – died today at a hospital near his home in Connecticut. He went into heart failure on his way to regularly scheduled cardiologist appointment. Brubeck would have been 92 today.  Story here.

Perhaps most popularly known for Take Five, Brubeck wrote it in 5/4 time at a time when most jazz was being written in 4/4 time.

Brubeck was honored at the Kennedy Center three years ago.  And he was only the second jazz musician, after Louis Armstrong, to make the cover of Time magazine.

Your thoughts and memories?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 06, 2012 - 1:42AM #2
chevy956

Dec 5, 2012 -- 9:06PM, Merope wrote:

Dave Brubeck – pianist, composer, modern jazz American master – died today at a hospital near his home in Connecticut. He went into heart failure on his way to regularly scheduled cardiologist appointment. Brubeck would have been 92 today.  Story here.

Perhaps most popularly known for Take Five, Brubeck wrote it in 5/4 time at a time when most jazz was being written in 4/4 time.

Brubeck was honored at the Kennedy Center three years ago.  And he was only the second jazz musician, after Louis Armstrong, to make the cover of Time magazine.

Your thoughts and memories?

In 1969, my dad gave me a ticket for a Saturday night show at The Morgan State Jazz Festival in baltimore. The Dave Brubeck Quintet, with both Paul Desmond AND Gerry Mulligan on saxes, were among the headliners, and combined with a performance by Miles Davis' brilliant post-bop quintet with Herbie Hancock, my life was changed irrevocably. The jazz bug bit me.

BTW, Take Five was not written by Brubeck, but by Paul Desmond, who later wrote a charming, but lesser known follow up called Take Ten. Brubeck was a wonderful composer who could write anything from a bop tune to a cantata. Rest in peace, Dave, and thanks for the inspiration.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 06, 2012 - 10:13AM #3
mytmouse57

Just got finished listening to "Take Five." 

Good stuff!

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 06, 2012 - 1:59PM #4
crunchyfrog

Louis Armstrong is the father of traditional American jazz.

Dave Brubeck is the father of modern American Jazz.

RIP guys (Bix too)

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 14, 2012 - 5:32PM #5
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement