Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Costas Booed for Telling the Truth
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 2:48PM #1
CoolWarrior

Bob Costas finally grew some huevos as demonstrated by his comments about gun control and the murder suicide in KC.

Of course a number of idiots just had to criticize him for ruining their mindless "entertainment" with real world facts.

"NBC broadcaster Bob Costas used his halftime segment on ''Sunday Night Football'' to advocate for gun control following this weekend's murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, causing an immediate debate on social media.

In a segment about 90 seconds long, Costas paraphrased and quoted extensively from a piece by Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock.

After praising the column, Costas said: ''In the coming days, Jovan Belcher's actions and their possible connection to football will be analyzed. Who knows? But here, wrote Jason Whitlock, is what I believe. If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.''

Belcher shot and killed Perkins, the mother of his 3-month daughter, on Saturday morning, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in the parking lot of the team's practice facility.

The online reaction to Costas' segment was swift, with many people criticizing the broadcaster for expressing his personal views on a program meant for entertainment."

msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Bob-Costas-a...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 2:59PM #2
d_p_m

Dec 3, 2012 -- 2:48PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today.

Right, because the only way a mentally disturbed American football linebacker, massing 105 kg (230 lb) (and a three time all American wrestler) could kill his girlfriend was with a gun. A kitchen knife, golf club, or axe wouldn't have given him enough of an edge.

I'm afraid that Mr. Costas fell into the conceptual trap of thinking that because something happened in a particular way, if that exact methodology was blocked, an intelligent agent could not find another way to the same desired end.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

“Extinguished theologians lie about the cradle of every science as the strangled snakes beside that of Hercules; and history records that whenever science and orthodoxy have been fairly opposed, the latter has been forced to retire from the lists, bleeding and crushed if not annihilated; scotched, if not slain.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley, Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews

“The science, the art, the jurisprudence, the chief political and social theories, of the modern world have grown out of Greece and Rome—not by favour of, but in the teeth of, the fundamental teachings of early Christianity, to which science, art, and any serious occupation with the things of this world were alike despicable.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley, Agnosticism and Christianity and Other Essays
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:08PM #3
mountain_man

Many people are extremely upset because he said it and he's right.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:12PM #4
TemplarS

1) Though he might be applauded for his courage, as an employee, he does not have the right to say what he wishes on company time (or, rather, his speech is not protected in the sense that it can save him from any consequences should the company disagree).

2) I'm not sure he is right in this case.  I don't know the exact circumstances under which Miss Perkins was killed, but  in a case when someone was that disturbed or enraged , if a gun was not close at hand, I imagine a knife or pipe or for that matter his fists (the guy went 230 lbs) would have sufficed. 

3) There are a lot of people out there for whom football and guns are among what they consider to be their most inalienable rights.  To have Mr. Costas use the venue for one to condemn the other is probably to them the equivalent of a stripshow in church. These folks are not going to be happy.

4) Therefore, I wish Bob luck, he is probably going to need it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:15PM #5
CoolWarrior

Dec 3, 2012 -- 3:08PM, mountain_man wrote:

Many people are extremely upset because he said it and he's right.

Yep.

Even if they brought out the destroyed body of his girlfriend these people would boo and tell them to "Stop interupting the game."

I'm a huge lifelong football fan and I find this reaction to Bob's truth telling obnoxious and juvenile.

Not to mention unforgiveable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:18PM #6
CoolWarrior

Templar:

Bob's been around for so long (some say too long) that I don't think he cares about his career, or didn't when he decided to tell the truth.

I wonder how these slavering fans would react if the coach who witnessed the suicide decided to describe exactly what happened in all its horrific detail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:22PM #7
d_p_m

I really, really wish people would stop exusing celebrities, particularly sports celebreties, for beating or killing their girlfriends, wives, and ex-wives.

"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

“Extinguished theologians lie about the cradle of every science as the strangled snakes beside that of Hercules; and history records that whenever science and orthodoxy have been fairly opposed, the latter has been forced to retire from the lists, bleeding and crushed if not annihilated; scotched, if not slain.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley, Lay Sermons, Addresses, and Reviews

“The science, the art, the jurisprudence, the chief political and social theories, of the modern world have grown out of Greece and Rome—not by favour of, but in the teeth of, the fundamental teachings of early Christianity, to which science, art, and any serious occupation with the things of this world were alike despicable.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley, Agnosticism and Christianity and Other Essays
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:27PM #8
mountain_man

Dec 3, 2012 -- 3:15PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

Even if they brought out the destroyed body of his girlfriend these people would boo and tell them to "Stop interrupting the game."

I'm a huge lifelong football fan and I find this reaction to Bob's truth telling obnoxious and juvenile.

Not to mention unforgivable.

But it is what I have come to expect from football fans. Both, guns and football, can be considered as "male enhancements." Neither enhances the intellect. Their reaction to this truth can be seen as solid support for my views.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:31PM #9
Mlyons619

Costas might take a little flack (and deservedly so) for expressing his OPINION, but I seriously do not think his job is in jeopardy.

However, the REAL issue was spousal abuse not gun control.

Wives and girlfriends are not just SHOT by abusivers - they've been KNIVED, CLUBBED, RUN OVER, or even STRANGLED or BEATEN TO DEATH.

I venture to say that had Costas gone on TV to express his opinion that wives and girlfriends need to seek protection or separation from an abuser, her would have gotten any flack at all.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 3:41PM #10
Girlchristian

Dec 3, 2012 -- 3:12PM, TemplarS wrote:

1) Though he might be applauded for his courage, as an employee, he does not have the right to say what he wishes on company time (or, rather, his speech is not protected in the sense that it can save him from any consequences should the company disagree).

Bingo.

2) I'm not sure he is right in this case.  I don't know the exact circumstances under which Miss Perkins was killed, but  in a case when someone was that disturbed or enraged , if a gun was not close at hand, I imagine a knife or pipe or for that matter his fists (the guy went 230 lbs) would have sufficed. 

True, I personally know a man (he and his wife were regulars at a bar I worked at for three years) that stabbed his wife multiple times in front of their three kids killing her and then went outside, got in his car, drove as fast as he could right into a tree killing himself. The statement that this tragedy wouldn't have happened if a gun wasn't present simply isn't true.

3) There are a lot of people out there for whom football and guns are among what they consider to be their most inalienable rights.  To have Mr. Costas use the venue for one to condemn the other is probably to them the equivalent of a stripshow in church. These folks are not going to be happy.

True, but they're probably idiots.

4) Therefore, I wish Bob luck, he is probably going to need it.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook