Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View God Forgives Abortion Advocate?
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 10:25AM #1
Jcarlinbn
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/scott-...

Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-Tenn.) told a radio host that God has forgiven him for past sins including advocating abortions for his wife and for his girlfriend.  

Would God do such a thing?

Should anybody else forgive him? 
Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 11:32AM #2
IreneAdler

Sorry, there’s no forgiving a jacka$$.  Given what the article says, he seems to be a hypocrite. I would hope he would use his experiences to better understand the circumstances surrounding the decision to have an abortion. Instead, this guy boasts that he’s forgiven, enjoyed the convenience of terminating pregnancies that occurred at an inopportune time, and retains a pro-life stance.  He’s certainly free to espouse any stance he wishes, but to tout this forgiveness stuff – such arrogance.

BTW, how does someone know when God has forgiven him/her? Does a note come in the mail? A phone call from heaven?  Wishful thinking? I’ve always been curious about this.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 11:52AM #3
farragut

Maybe he got a note in his Gmail.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 11:56AM #4
IreneAdler

Dec 2, 2012 -- 11:52AM, farragut wrote:

Maybe he got a note in his Gmail.

Wow!  Guess that means there's no forgiving those who are not computer literate.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 12:31PM #5
mountain_man

This just proves what many have said before; those going around yelling anti-abortion all over the place sing a different tune when it comes to their own lives. They have a word for that; hypocrite.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 12:50PM #6
karbie

So, it was okay for him to talk women into aborting pregnancies he found inconvenient, but he's Pro-Life if someone was raped or just didn't happen to be carrying his sperm.

Now God has forgiven him...after all, it's fine to spray when he's done it.

If he wants to be so Pro-Life, he might consider a vasectomy or at least covering Precious up.  I wonder if his God has also forgiven those women for having those abortions. He's only claiming forgiveness for himself.

We can pray for forgiveness, but we usually don't get direct notification. If he can, he should enter some Sweepstakes because it has to be easier for the Prize Patrol to send a messenger to your door than having a Celestial one show up unless you are going to be a Saint, a prophet, or pregnant.

But that's just me.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 1:12PM #7
Fodaoson

Dec 2, 2012 -- 12:31PM, mountain_man wrote:

This just proves what many have said before; those going around yelling anti-abortion all over the place sing a different tune when it comes to their own lives. They have a word for that; hypocrite.

This is another place where I agree with MM and have so posted.  I have personally and professionally  known of several incidents where “anti-abortion”  ended when the “aa” was personally  involved . 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 1:54PM #8
CoolWarrior

Dec 2, 2012 -- 12:50PM, karbie wrote:

So, it was okay for him to talk women into aborting pregnancies he found inconvenient, but he's Pro-Life if someone was raped or just didn't happen to be carrying his sperm.

Now God has forgiven him...after all, it's fine to spray when he's done it.

If he wants to be so Pro-Life, he might consider a vasectomy or at least covering Precious up.  I wonder if his God has also forgiven those women for having those abortions. He's only claiming forgiveness for himself.

We can pray for forgiveness, but we usually don't get direct notification. If he can, he should enter some Sweepstakes because it has to be easier for the Prize Patrol to send a messenger to your door than having a Celestial one show up unless you are going to be a Saint, a prophet, or pregnant.

But that's just me.

Karbie:

So well said I can't even think of anything else to add.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 10:09AM #9
Girlchristian

1st, the abortions were in his past so it's conceivable that he has since changed his position on abortion (maybe even because of the abortions his wife had) as many of us change our viewpoints over time.

2nd, if one is a Christian, then one knows that God forgives all those who ask so this man is correct in saying that he's forgiven, if he's asked for forgiveness.

3rd, one would hope that since his wife did have abortions then he would be a little more compassionate at least in regards to exceptions, but that doesn't yet seem to be the case.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 03, 2012 - 10:12AM #10
mytmouse57

We all need forgiveness at some point.

I'm not sure we need to talk about it on the radio, though. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook