Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Did He Get Tired of Killing Civilians?
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 1:21PM #1
CoolWarrior

You have to wonder after all the innocent Palestinians Israel killed in the past week for no reason.

"JERUSALEM — Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak abruptly quit politics Monday, potentially robbing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of a key ally who enabled his hard-line government to present a moderate face to the world.

Netanyahu's party picked a young, more hawkish list of candidates in its primary election on Monday.

Barring another comeback by the mercurial former general, Barak's departure marked an end to a distinguished and tumultuous career that spanned half a century. It began on a communal farm, led to military greatness and business success and a mixed record in politics that was highlighted by failed peacemaking efforts during a brief term as prime minister.

Despite polls showing his small centrist Independence Party gaining momentum following the eight-day Israeli offensive in Gaza that he steered, Barak said he would not run again for office in the Jan. 22 elections.

"I feel I have exhausted my political activity, which had never been a special object of desire for me," Barak, 70, said in a surprise announcement in Tel Aviv. "There are many ways for me to serve the country and society, not just through politics."

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/ehud-b...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 3:42PM #2
TemplarS

"Did He Get Tired of Killing Civilians?"

Possibly.

Barak has a history as a moderate. As a government minister under Netanyahu, he no doubt carried out his job with diligence. But given his history, I suspect he might well have had misgivings about the wisdom of the government's actions.

As I understand it, he was less effective as a politician than as statesman, which is a shame. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 4:00PM #3
mountain_man

I hear he is a moderate. He probably got tired of all the hawks coming down on him for not being aggressive enough.

We need to go back to the old days where the leader of the country led the first charge into battle. Their sons are along side him. If some leader is going to put the lives of others in danger, he should actually do some leading. We have too many chicken hawks that want war but are unwilling to put their own life on the line.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 4:00PM #4
CoolWarrior

I think so too.

And he's leaving his party in quite a quandry too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 4:55PM #5
TemplarS

Nov 27, 2012 -- 4:00PM, mountain_man wrote:

We need to go back to the old days where the leader of the country led the first charge into battle. Their sons are along side him. If some leader is going to put the lives of others in danger, he should actually do some leading. We have too many chicken hawks that want war but are unwilling to put their own life on the line.

Well, that's a thought.  If not the leader of the country, at least the generals.  And, the same should apply to the guys on the other side, who send out the suicide bombers; once in a while one of these guys ought to strap the bomb onto their own back.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 4:58PM #6
CoolWarrior

Can you imagine BIBI and his Likud friends out there leading a charge?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 5:18PM #7
TemplarS

Nov 27, 2012 -- 4:58PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

Actually, yes.  Israeli leaders are probably the least vulnerable to the charge of sending soldiers to do things they would not or have not done themselves.  Netanyahu, like most Israeli leaders before him, has actually served on the front lines.

Now, modify your example to Dick Cheney or Ayatollah Khamenei and you'd have a more valid point.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 6:55PM #8
mountain_man

Nov 27, 2012 -- 4:58PM, CoolWarrior wrote:

Yes, I can. Let's see how tough they really are.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 7:28PM #9
CoolWarrior

I still can't imagine the old Knesset guys actually doing what they keep sending young people out to do.

I see them as religious hypocrites.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2012 - 9:14PM #10
farragut

I cannot see any one of them emulating Henry V at Agincourt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook