Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead.....
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 4:18PM #1
mountain_man
Here's where I got the title for this thread...

"Thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead. Sixty-two thud-deads. I call them that, because the sound and the thought of death came to me each time, at the same instant. There was plenty of chance to watch them as they came down.

The height was eighty feet. The first ten thud-deads shocked me. I looked up-saw that there were scores of girls at the windows. The flames from the floor below were beating in their faces. Somehow I knew that they, too, must come down, and something within me-something that I didn't know was there-steeled me.

Read the whole story about the Triangle Shirtwaste Fire.

It's happened again. This time only 112, so far. As with many fires like this there were no fire escapes.

When you buy clothing look for the union label. At least you will know the workers were not treated like animals.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 11:49PM #2
mainecaptain

How horrible. I always try to buy Union made. and made in the USA. I always check labels. I fully support union workers 

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 12:11AM #3
mountain_man

Nov 25, 2012 -- 11:49PM, mainecaptain wrote:

How horrible. I always try to buy Union made. and made in the USA. I always check labels. I fully support union workers

At least you know the workers are not mistreated. Many companies here in the USA are treating workers in dishonest ways. Twinkies is a good example. The company that bought that baking company 20 years ago did so with borrowed money. The new owners, as the new executive officers, gave themselves a 300% pay raise and demanded, twice, lower wages for the workers. Of course that was not enough income to pay the higher executive salaries and pay off the debt, so they went into bankruptcy, raided the pension fund so that those working there for 30 or more years will have no retirement money, and again demanded lower wages for the workers. This time the workers said no way and the execs locked them out and are now closing the business.

Profits are fine but ruining lives to make a profit is immoral.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 12:16AM #4
Aka_me

as this is a country full of people who don't care how the animal they eating spent its existence before ending up as dinner

any more than they care how the store reduced the price of the big screen tv and blueray player.

written in 1911... we can see how nothing has changed.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 12:19AM #5
Aka_me

Nov 26, 2012 -- 12:11AM, mountain_man wrote:

Profits are fine but ruining lives to make a profit is immoral.

somehow I'm missing the point here... people are supposed to care enough to actually DO something about it?

the system is not about to change, until it is so disfunctionally broken that it's considered dead.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 12:29AM #6
in_my_opinion

Nov 25, 2012 -- 4:18PM, mountain_man wrote:

Here's where I got the title for this thread...

"Thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead, thud-dead. Sixty-two thud-deads. I call them that, because the sound and the thought of death came to me each time, at the same instant. There was plenty of chance to watch them as they came down.

The height was eighty feet. The first ten thud-deads shocked me. I looked up-saw that there were scores of girls at the windows. The flames from the floor below were beating in their faces. Somehow I knew that they, too, must come down, and something within me-something that I didn't know was there-steeled me.

Read the whole story about the Triangle Shirtwaste Fire.

It's happened again. This time only 112, so far. As with many fires like this there were no fire escapes.

When you buy clothing look for the union label. At least you will know the workers were not treated like animals.

Thank you for posting this Dave. It is a reminder of how far we all have still to go.

Such sad stories.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 6:18AM #7
costrel

Buried near the end of this article, we read:

"Bangladesh's garment factories make clothes for brands including Wal-Mart, JC Penney, H&M, Marks & Spencer, Carrefour and Tesco."

If we want to do any boycotting during this gluttonous and materialistic "Christmas season," here's a good list of six stores to start with (though I've never heard of the last four stores). 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 10:54AM #8
mountain_man

Nov 26, 2012 -- 6:18AM, costrel wrote:

Buried near the end of this article, we read:

"Bangladesh's garment factories make clothes for brands including Wal-Mart, JC Penney, H&M, Marks & Spencer, Carrefour and Tesco."

If we want to do any boycotting during this gluttonous and materialistic "Christmas season," here's a good list of six stores to start with (though I've never heard of the last four stores).

Here is another article that says the same thing. "Nova also said that Wal-Mart "knew exactly what's going on at these facilities. They have staff on site in Bangladesh." "

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 11:08PM #9
karbie

The last "unknown" victims of the Triangle shirtwaist tragedy were finally identified by DNA from relatives last year. Family stories about a missing family member finally solved things. In some cases, several family members worked there. Years after that tragedy, one of the partners was fined for keeping the exit doors locked to make sure no one smuggled out a scrap of lace. He was still more concerned with theft than human lives.

The reason there were no sprinklers in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory--although they were available at the time--is because the owners carried heavy fire insurance and had prior fires that took place late at night on the weekend when no one was there and there just happened to be a surplus of last years styles on hand. The building still stands and is in use today.

When companies go where labor is cheap and worker safety isn't even a consideration, just profits--these tragedies will continue to happen.  That place was a disaster waiting to happen, and people should boycott those brands to prove there is still going to be accountability for the tragic, preventable loss of lives.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2012 - 11:56PM #10
Roodog

This is the second or third such fires in Bangladesh in less than two years.
These people make only a dollar a day

This is the continuing cost of outsourcing, virtual slave conditions and dangerous work environments  for the workers.

These poor people are just cannon fodder for the profiteers.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook