Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Hobbit World Premiere
2 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2012 - 6:24PM #1
solfeggio
Our little island nation gets its fifteen minutes of fame next week when The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has its world premiere in our capital city of Wellington.

www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/24/6569...  

www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/ar...

I have not read the Tolkien books or seen Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films myself.  With the exception of The Wizard of Oz, fantasy is not my thing.

However, we are all glad to see Peter Jackson doing so well with his films, and putting little ol' NZ on the map, so to speak.

Now, then:

Since this is finally an opportunity to have a thread about movies, I want to mention a couple of fairly recent American films I've seen, and ask if other posters have opinions about them.

First, there is Game Change, which we thought was marvelous.   It tells the Sarah Palin story as it unfolded in the 2008 election, and Julianne Moore is perfect as Palin.  Great film.  Highly recommended.

Then, though, there is Ted, which is a truly awful film about this horrible, foul-mouthed teddy bear that comes to life.  It was written and directed by Seth MacFarlane, who in real life is a great singer and very funny man.  We saw him sing in a BBC Proms concert a few years ago and were very impressed.  So, we'd looked forward to the film, which was a big disappointment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2012 - 6:30PM #2
REteach

I haven't seen either movie. I would probably see both of them--with a gun to my head.

I just finished rereading the Hobbit and am re-reading LOTR for about th 13th time.  (Don't tell me how it ends!)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2012 - 6:55PM #3
TemplarS

I loved LOTR and the NZ scenery.  Beautiful place you've got there, Solf.

About The Hobbit:  I read of some claims of animal cruelty on the set, which was (at first) very disappointing.  Then I heard it was just some disgruntled workers making the claims. What's the local word on that?

On other movies: there's a few I want to see, particularly  Lincoln and Life of Pi.  Also, Skyfall, though Daniel Craig is not my favorite Bond.  A bit humorless for me, after Connery and Moore.  I've been super-busy lately; hope to have some time over the Holidays to catch up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2012 - 7:21PM #4
jane2

Nov 24, 2012 -- 6:55PM, TemplarS wrote:

I loved LOTR and the NZ scenery.  Beautiful place you've got there, Solf.

About The Hobbit:  I read of some claims of animal cruelty on the set, which was (at first) very disappointing.  Then I heard it was just some disgruntled workers making the claims. What's the local word on that?

On other movies: there's a few I want to see, particularly  Lincoln and Life of Pi.  Also, Skyfall, though Daniel Craig is not my favorite Bond.  A bit humorless for me, after Connery and Moore.  I've been super-busy lately; hope to have some time over the Holidays to catch up.

The piece I read about the animals indicated the cruelty to the animals was long-term and off set.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2012 - 7:55PM #5
mountain_man

Nov 24, 2012 -- 6:55PM, TemplarS wrote:

...About The Hobbit:  I read of some claims of animal cruelty on the set, which was (at first) very disappointing.  Then I heard it was just some disgruntled workers making the claims. What's the local word on that?...

I've read everything of Tolkien's that's been published. I want to see the movie, but I'm hesitant now because of what happened. I'd like to hear more.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 7:39AM #6
costrel

I've been reading Tolkien since I was in middle school, though I have been primarily concerned with his imaginative writings on Middle-earth (and have therefore read the twelve-volume "History of Middle-earth" series edited by his son Christopher). I have also read some of his scholarly publications on Old and Middle English texts, though I have yet to read his scholarship on two of the most-famous English Christian monastic texts in Middle English, Ancrene Wisse (The Anchoresses' Rule) and Hali Meiðhad (Holy Maidenhood). I have read Hali Meiðhad before in Middle English (it is a guide on virginity for nuns and other holy women), and I would be interested to read what Tolkien has to say about it.

That said, even though I did see the film versions of The Lord of the Rings in the theater, I am not interested in seeing the three-film version of The Hobbit. If The Hobbit was one film like its cartoon predecessor from 1977 I would go and see it, but I am not interested in a three-year film project that is based on a 300-page book, even if it is glutted with extra material taken from the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's postumously published drafts in Unfinished Tales and The Peoples of Middle-earth (and perhaps also the postumously published text "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age" in The Silmarillion). I am sure there are many fans of the previous movies, and many fans of Tolkien's works, who are excited to see this new film and will impatiently wait for the forthcoming two films set for release in 2013 and 2014. But I won't be one of them. It's like the forthcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX of Star Wars to be released by Disney -- enough is enough. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 2:07PM #7
rabello

Nov 24, 2012 -- 6:24PM, solfeggio wrote:

Our little island nation gets its fifteen minutes of fame next week when The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has its world premiere in our capital city of Wellington.

www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/24/6569...  

www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/ar...

I have not read the Tolkien books or seen Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films myself.  With the exception of The Wizard of Oz, fantasy is not my thing.

However, we are all glad to see Peter Jackson doing so well with his films, and putting little ol' NZ on the map, so to speak.

Guess what, solfeggio, during this holiday weekend, some people even went to work on Fri, Sat, Sun, and some people even had to work on Thanksgiving Day!!

Others of us used to time to read, and some even are reading or rereading Tolkien this very weekend, in anticipation of the upcoming movie.  This was an excellent opportuniity who have interests in things other than football to read Tolkien's scholarly works, as costrel has, in order to better understand the themes of his fictional work! 

Others of us did see movies...over this weekend, I saw Lincoln, and altho I am not a Spielberg fan, thought it was very moving.  

For fans of the Peter Jackson's trilogy, some theatres will be showing the extended cut versions on the big screen on Dec 8th, and tickets are on sale now. 

Although I do not expect The Hobbit to be as engrossing or as moving as LoTR, I will say how happy I have always been that it was Jackson, and not some American filmmaker, like Speilberg, along with an international cast (instead of stars and starlets) who brought Tolkien's work to the silver screen. 

comments on removed quote deleted

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Nov 28, 2012 - 06:05AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 4:28PM #8
CoolWarrior

Solfeggio:

Is it true that the volcano featured in LOTR is currently erupting? I caught the end of a news report a few days ago and have seen nothing since.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 8:56PM #9
solfeggio

Ah, Rabello, I do love and appreciate your sensible posts!  Wink

I found it interesting that you and a number of people posting said they had no use for Thanksgiving, which I had always thought was sacrosanct in America.  The times, they are a changin' I guess.

Regarding the claims of animal abuse during the making of the film:

Well, there was extensive reporting in the newspapers about this, and as far as I could make out, the blame goes to the person responsible for looking after the animals, an Animal Coordinator named Steve Old who apparently hired unqualified staff to look after the animals.  The farm where the animals were housed had sinkholes, bluffs, and broken-down fencing which could be death traps for them.

(Old is a horse wrangler who also worked on 'Clash of the Titans,' 'The Last Samurai,' 'King Kong,' and 'War Horse.')

A total of 27 animals died during the filming.  Two of the three horses that died were fed the wrong food, and the third was killed after fighting was another horse.  The goats and sheep died of worm infestations and from falling in sink holes which were on the farm's property.  Some of the twelve chickens that died were killed by farm dogs, and others in accidents.

After the animal deaths were reported, in August 2011, the farm was investigated by the AHA, which made safety recommendations.  The production company made the required upgrades and changes to the farm.  But subsequently the remaining animals were moved to another farm. 

I wouldn't call this 'abuse' so much as carelessness.  But, even this is disputed by Jackson and the producers, who say that the claims are not supported by other evidence such as photographs.

And, it is true that there are no photographs of the animals on the farm.

Nevertheless, the animals were housed in a substandard farm, and 27 of them did die.

Naturally, Peter Jackson is going to deny animal abuse because he doesn't want people to boycott his film. 

comment on another poster removed 

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Nov 28, 2012 - 06:33AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2012 - 9:00PM #10
farragut

It took 27 deaths for them to realize they had a problem!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook