2 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2012 - 4:28PM #1
solfeggio
The European parliament has voted overwhelmingly to ban shark finning.  The ban was opposed by Spain and Portugal, which are the only EU states to still issue finning permits.  Since the EU is the biggest exporter of shark fins, conservation groups are hoping that the ban will have a significant impact on shark populations.

This is to be applauded as a major milestone in ending the wasteful practise of shark finning. 

www.projectaware.org/category/tags/eu-sh...

www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/eu-votes-to-ban-...

Even though at least a third or more of open-ocean shark species are threatened, millions of sharks are still killed every year to meet the demand for shark fin soup.   

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/81173...

The appetite for shark fins is greatest in China, where they are used in shark fin soup, and where consumption has risen as China's living standards improve. 

At least 75 million (probably more) sharks are killed annually, and their fins can sell for up to $700 lb. 

www.seashepherd.org/sharks/  

Sharks are extemely important in maintaining the balance of the ocean ecosystem.  As predators, they remove the weaker fish and keep the gene pool strong.    

withoutmethereisnou.wordpress.com/2010/1...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2012 - 4:36PM #2
mountain_man

New Zealand should stop this practice too. Here's just one story about that.

Another story; "On average 24,000 tonnes of shark – the equivalent weight of 300,000 people - are caught every year in New Zealand waters..."

Why do New Zealanders support this?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2012 - 11:40PM #3
solfeggio

It's true and it's shameful and disgusting.

www.stuff.co.nz/national/blogs/in-our-na...

What are New Zealanders doing about it?  Not enough, it seems, although we do have organisations like Forest and Bird and SAFE that have been trying to get our cowardly Conservative government to do something about it.

However, since our government does not even support the protection of endangered fish species like orange roughy, dolphins, or whales, I don't think they will worry too much about sharks.

Kiwis are big on fishing, too, as are the tourists that come here and are welcomed because they bring in big money.

It took years for animal rights groups to finally, finally get the government to ban sow gestation crates, which will (supposedly) be phased out in a couple of years, but we still have battery hen farms, and we STILL export live sheep to the Middle East where they are cruelly killed.

This is not an animal-friendly country. 

On the contrary, we are one of the top meat-eating countries in the world, and evidently proud of it, too.  Part of this is because people are so ignorant of what goes on in the animal industry here, or they just don't want to know about it as long as they can have their bangers and mash, lamb shanks, and beef roasts.

And, of course, Kiwis love to hunt, and killing other living creatures is a favourite 'sport' for a lot of people.

Sometimes, I am disgusted with my fellow Kiwis and wish they'd wise up.  Other species have just as much right to live their lives as humans.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 23, 2012 - 12:07PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2012 - 11:56PM #4
mountain_man

Nov 22, 2012 -- 11:40PM, solfeggio wrote:

It's true and it's shameful and disgusting....

I have done a considerable amount of shark fishing and studied quite a bit about sharks. I can catch you the size shark you want, or even the species you want. I won many shark fishing contests in San Francisco Bay. Any shark I caught was either measured and released or brought home for dinner. The same for any other fish I caught. Then I read up a bit more on the ecology of the bay. It's now so polluted I would not eat any fish caught there.

Sharks are amazing animals. Most species are slow at reproduction. They're the predators, why should they breed fast? They cannot sustain a commercial fishery. Taking just the fins is just plain wrong. Shark fin soup is fine if you like tasteless, gelatinous, goo, (the same for birdsnest soup) but at least eat the rest of the shark instead of letting it sink to the bottom and slowly starve to death or actually drown because it cannot swim (some sharks do need to keep moving to get oxygen from the water). That's just wrong.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 23, 2012 - 12:08PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2012 - 11:07AM #5
mytmouse57

If you're going to use an animal for food -- kill it quickly and use all edible parts. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2012 - 2:02PM #6
in_my_opinion

Besides all that, as top of their food chains they bioaccumulate the highest levels of various toxins/pollutants in the ocean. Shark fin soup eaters are poisoning themselves slowly.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook