Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Clowns vs. KKK at rally
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 10:53AM #1
Ironhold
link

A rally consisting of KKK members and neo-Nazis was recently crashed by protestors wearing clown outfits.

Yeah.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 10:54AM #2
mytmouse57

That's freakin' priceless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 11:07AM #3
mountain_man

Nov 13, 2012 -- 10:53AM, Ironhold wrote:

A rally consisting of KKK members and neo-Nazis was recently crashed by protestors wearing clown outfits.

Yeah.

Clowning around like that is a good way to let the bigots know their kind of hatred is unwelcome in a society that's worth living in. Of course the KKK and their ilk have a right to peacefully gather (although their gatherings are often violent in content) we also have a right to tell them they're wrong and such things are not welcome in a peaceful society.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 12:13PM #4
TemplarS

This is good.

Responding to hate with hate doesn't seem productive.

Showing these sorts of people that they are not even worth taking seriously seems like a better response.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 2:40PM #5
Erey

I don't know clowns are pretty scary, I am glad I did not attend that event.  too much creepiness all around.  Does anyone like clowns?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 2:46PM #6
TemplarS

More scary than a bunch of old white racists burning crosses?  I dunno.

Anyhow, off topic, but fear of clowns is not all that unusual, Erey. I'm not bothered myself, but I know other people who are.  I have no idea why, but it does seem pretty common.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 3:05PM #7
Ebon

Nov 13, 2012 -- 2:46PM, TemplarS wrote:

fear of clowns is not all that unusual, Erey. I'm not bothered myself, but I know other people who are.  I have no idea why, but it does seem pretty common.

Coulrophobia is because clowns look human but facially distorted. Put simply, things which look like disorted humans put us on edge. It's called the "uncanny valley" and it's the same reason why human-looking robots are unnerving, same reason some people find facial disfigurements make them nervous. If you watch the sci-fi comedy, Red Dwarf, that's why Kryten has an extremely angular face, because his manufacturers were trying to avoid triggering the effect.

According to a study by University of Sheffield, almost all young children dislike the classic style clown. The clown's makeup makes emotions unreadable and, as young children depend on facial expression for context much more than adults do, they find the clown unknowable and thus, threatening. The DSM lists coulrophobia as a specific phobia (which simply means it's externalised on a particular object or person) and it's inspired the Alice Cooper song "Can't Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me" and the cult sci-fi horror movie, "Killer Klowns From Outer Space".

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 8:09PM #8
karbie

I loved this. I wasn't afraid of clowns when I was little, but I didn't like them because they were frequently mean to each other.

The main difference here is that the people in the clown make-up know how ridiculous they look.

Do I think the KKK and Neo-Nazis are still dangerous? In some circumstances, of course they are. Anyone who is proud of being a racist bully is poisonous, but at least they are honest about it.

The Neo-Nazi skinheads only have to grow their hair back to blend back into the crowd.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 8:12PM #9
Miraj

Nov 13, 2012 -- 2:40PM, Erey wrote:

I don't know clowns are pretty scary, I am glad I did not attend that event.  too much creepiness all around.  Does anyone like clowns?

I like clowns about as much as I like Klansmen, not at all.  But, this could help change that lol.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2012 - 8:28PM #10
mountain_man

Nov 13, 2012 -- 8:09PM, karbie wrote:

I loved this. I wasn't afraid of clowns when I was little, but I didn't like them because they were frequently mean to each other.

If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled.  ~ Red Skelton

That's why clowns are sad, they get you to laugh at their predicament and forget yours for a moment. Most clowns use their power for good. Neo-Nazis and white supremacists (often the same) never do anything good.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook