Switch to Forum Live View More Bad News for America
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 6:31PM #1
solfeggio
In yesterday's New York Times, there was a report on the results of several recent studies showing that life spans for the working class and least-educated are shrinking, and especially for white women lacking a high school diploma.   Life expectancy for these women dropped from 78 to 74 years in 2008.  The figure for men in this group dropped by three years.

The gap in life expectancy between the most socially privileged and the most socially disadvantaged groups in American society is more than ten years for women and more than fourteen years for men. 

This is a reversal of demographic trends over the last fifty years.  The list of the top ten countries with longest life expectancy does not include the U.S.

www.infoplease.com/world/countries/highe... 

Are we seeing the failure of American capitalism to meet the most basic test of a society: the preservation and extension of human life? 

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us/life-expec... 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 7:35PM #2
hamerhas

The very educated, middle aged  Kennedy wife who hung herself in a closet 4 months ago was one

of the most  " socially privaliged"woman on the planet .

His & Her several  drug , drinking' fornicating escapades are much more relevant to the common

denominator of an answer than is any  failure of  " capitalism ".

Your much desired outcome not withstanding.

Smarten up , and look at what is really happening in the real world.

Not your desired world of make believe.

In fact.

It is only in the last few years that several higher educational institutions of great stature have

had to install suicide nets on their campuses due to the overwhelming number of privaledged

corpses turning up in stairwells , under balconys , beneath walking bridges ,etc,etc,etc,,. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 7:53PM #3
TemplarS

Given that I have no idea what Hamerhas' post has to do with anything, I will make another comment regarding higher education and the subject of the thread.

There is something seriously wrong with a society and a nation in which an MBA is viewed as a more valuable and sought after degree than an advanced degree in science, engineering, social work, education- or for that matter, an electricians's license.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 8:20PM #4
teilhard

But it's their OWN FAULT, don't you see ... ???

They COULD have -- SHOULD have -- "borrowed $$$ from their Parents" and gone off to College and earned a Ph.D. ...

Sep 22, 2012 -- 6:31PM, solfeggio wrote:

In yesterday's New York Times, there was a report on the results of several recent studies showing that life spans for the working class and least-educated are shrinking, and especially for ***white women lacking a high school diploma.   Life expectancy for these women dropped from 78 to 74 years in 2008.  The figure for men in this group dropped by three years.

The gap in life expectancy between the most socially privileged and the most socially disadvantaged groups in American society is more than ten years for women and more than fourteen years for men. 

This is a reversal of demographic trends over the last fifty years.  The list of the top ten countries with longest life expectancy does not include the U.S.

www.infoplease.com/world/countries/highe... 

Are we seeing the failure of American capitalism to meet the most basic test of a society: the preservation and extension of human life? 

www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us/life-expec... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 9:04PM #5
rangerken

A licensed electrician, a master plumber, a skilled auto mechanic, an experienced crane operator, a stone mason, a master carpenter, just to name a few are infinitely more valuable to our or any country than any MBA recepient...and by the way, are also rarely if ever out of work!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 10:21PM #6
jane2

Sep 22, 2012 -- 9:04PM, rangerken wrote:

A licensed electrician, a master plumber, a skilled auto mechanic, an experienced crane operator, a stone mason, a master carpenter, just to name a few are infinitely more valuable to our or any country than any MBA recepient...and by the way, are also rarely if ever out of work!

Ken

A young man who works sometimes at my market went to technical school after high school to learn carpentry. I've not seen him in awhile and think he is doing that carpentry. I wish him well and think he will do well. (Just a little back story.)

We also graduate fine engineers, scientists, etc. Our best high school students are often taught by very talented teachers who stretch their abilities.

In today's US, children who are raised in educated families and more affluent families are advantaged and go on to graduate from college or university. They are better travelled and conversations at home impel them forward. Goals are set before them from their earliest years.

My son volunteered three yrs. ago to chaperone a teen mission at his church to El Salvador so his son, my oldest grandchild, could witness life in a third world country as he had when we lived in Bangkok for 2 yrs. when he was in the grades at the International School there.

My hope is that somehow we can provide the best education or vocational schools for all of our students. It will not be easy in such a diverse setting.

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 10:30PM #7
JCarlin

To quote Niven-Pournelle:  Think of it as evolution in action.

The fact is that skilled labor whether intellectual or physical is the only reliable source of real wealth in a society.  How that wealth is distributed is a political issue of course, but any society that does not actively support the skilled labor segment will ultimately fail.  Those not in that skilled labor segment will feel the failure of the society first as we see from the NYT article.  But it is the spending of those creating real wealth that create the entry level jobs that support those without the necessary skills. 

But we are seeing the effects of trashing the wealth creating skilled labor jobs of infrastructure maintenance, teaching, etc in favor of eliminating taxes and subsidizing non-wealth producing industries.  The canary in the mine is already failing.  Whether the mine owners will even notice is an open question. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2012 - 6:13PM #8
Erey

Sep 22, 2012 -- 7:53PM, TemplarS wrote:

Given that I have no idea what Hamerhas' post has to do with anything, I will make another comment regarding higher education and the subject of the thread.

There is something seriously wrong with a society and a nation in which an MBA is viewed as a more valuable and sought after degree than an advanced degree in science, engineering, social work, education- or for that matter, an electricians's license.

I don't believe an MBA is seen as more valuable than those degrees.  In fact your typicall MBA is not making as much as your bachelor's in engineering. 

However if you combine a MBA with either great experience or an advanced degree in engineering, medicine, even education - well that is often gold right there. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2012 - 6:15PM #9
Erey

I read that article a few days ago.

They say the main reason for the drop in that subset age span is 1. smoking, obesity and the head-spining increase in persecription medication.  In fact I had a friend die this summer from perscription pain meds.  Evidenatly she had developed quite the secret addiction. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook