Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Americans Don't Trust Their Media
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 6:43PM #1
solfeggio
According to a new Gallup report just released, Americans' distrust in the media hit a new high this year, with 60% of those polled saying they have little or no trust in the mass media to report the news acurately and fairly.

www.gallup.com/poll/157589/distrust-medi...

To quote Noam Chomsky:

'Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.'

'The job of media is not to inform but to misinform.  Divert public attention from important issues and changes decided by the political and economic elites, by the technique of flood or continuous flood of distractions and insignificant information.'

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 6:51PM #2
TemplarS

Americans again, huh?  Well, who's to blame?

As I recall, Rupert Murdoch is an Aussie.  You people down there must have some strange ideas about "news" as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 7:12PM #3
solfeggio

C'mon, Templar.  This is an American forum in which virtually ALL the topics presented have something to do with America, and just about everybody who posts, with the obvious exceptions of myself, Ebon and Chari, is American.

Americans are only interested in topics that have to do with their country.  They really do not want to know what is happening in the Pacific Rim, or South America, Africa, or even Europe. 

If you try to start a thread about the Arctic melt it doesn't garner more than a few posts.  If you start a thread about some aspect of people's diets, you'll get replies only if it has some relation to what people are eating in America.

And, if you dare to criticise some aspect of American culture, at least one poster will call you anti-American, and others can get really nasty.

What I've never understood is why some people are so loathe to accept the fact that their country has faults.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 7:33PM #4
jane2

Sep 21, 2012 -- 7:12PM, solfeggio wrote:

C'mon, Templar.  This is an American forum in which virtually ALL the topics presented have something to do with America, and just about everybody who posts, with the obvious exceptions of myself, Ebon and Chari, is American.

Americans are only interested in topics that have to do with their country.  They really do not want to know what is happening in the Pacific Rim, or South America, Africa, or even Europe. 

If you try to start a thread about the Arctic melt it doesn't garner more than a few posts.  If you start a thread about some aspect of people's diets, you'll get replies only if it has some relation to what people are eating in America.

And, if you dare to criticise some aspect of American culture, at least one poster will call you anti-American, and others can get really nasty.

What I've never understood is why some people are so loathe to accept the fact that their country has faults.

Some of us do wonder why you spend so much time pointing out our perceived faults. Manyof us are quite aware of wassup across the globe and wassup here, too.

Actually Ted Koppel and Brian Williams did a segment on some of this last evening on Rock Center.
Cable News supplies many pundits whose slants are known. Faux News is just that and responsible people never tune it in. Some network news is better. I like the NYT but many conservatives do not. Same with the Washington Post. Richard Engel of NBC is my fave foreign correspondent. He lived in Cairo for years, reads, writes and speaks Arabic; he can be definitive but always low key.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 7:54PM #5
solfeggio

Well, then, Jane, if you're so involved with what's going on in other countries, why aren't you starting a couple of threads dealing with overseas issues?

You might start with, say, the fact that the Turkish court has convicted 330 in a military coup plot. 

Or, maybe you might want to start a discussion about Oktoberfest means to Germany?

Let's see.  Oh, yeah, Brazilian stocks opened higher today.  Bullfighting remains legal in France.  And Philip Morris has lost its case against the Norwegian government.

Really big-time news is that the French court bans topless photos of Kate Middleton.

And, naturally everybody wants to know all about what's happening in New Zealand, don't they?  A Dunedin man has been remanded in custody after an incident involving a crossbow.  Big news, don't you think?

Oh, and five New Zealand soldiers have received U.S. service medals for their contribution to the Nato-led coalition in Afghanistan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 10:48PM #6
Miraj

Sep 21, 2012 -- 6:51PM, TemplarS wrote:

Americans again, huh?  Well, who's to blame?

As I recall, Rupert Murdoch is an Aussie.  You people down there must have some strange ideas about "news" as well.

Rupert Murdoch is a naturalized American citizen.  His business partner is a Saudi prince.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 2:17AM #7
CharikIeia

Sep 21, 2012 -- 7:12PM, solfeggio wrote:

"+1", as they seem to say nowadays (whatever that means in detail).

Let me add from experience that when you start a non-US-related topic here, it not only gets rather few posts, but also will receive the occasional dumbass retort of "And What Has This To Do With America??", sometimes with the smart & logically sound addition of "This is an American website, after all"...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 6:27AM #8
Ironhold

I can see why people aren't keen on the news anymore; too many reporters and too many networks have clear objectives other than reporting the news.

For example, a few months back ABC news accused Romney of embezzling money from Bain Capital in order to pay off the LDS church.

In reality, Romney was a regular tithe-payer and the money came from his paychecks & benefits packages. ABC spun it in the worst possible fashion as part of what wound up being a much larger anti-Mormon, anti-Romney effort by the network.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 6:40AM #9
Fodaoson

Sep 21, 2012 -- 7:54PM, solfeggio wrote:

Well, then, Jane, if you're so involved with what's going on in other countries, why aren't you starting a couple of threads dealing with overseas issues?

You might start with, say, the fact that the Turkish court has convicted 330 in a military coup plot. 

Or, maybe you might want to start a discussion about Oktoberfest means to Germany?

Let's see.  Oh, yeah, Brazilian stocks opened higher today.  Bullfighting remains legal in France.  And Philip Morris has lost its case against the Norwegian government.

Really big-time news is that the French court bans topless photos of Kate Middleton.

And, naturally everybody wants to know all about what's happening in New Zealand, don't they?  A Dunedin man has been remanded in custody after an incident involving a crossbow.  Big news, don't you think?

As  you pointed out earlier, this is US News and politics, all other countries  belong on World News or Middle East.  There are many different world wide subjects discussed  on those boards.

There are only 249,000 persons on BN. The US ha 300,000,000+ population so the view you get of Americans  here is less than 1/50th of 1% 

Oh, and five New Zealand soldiers have received U.S. service medals for their contribution to the Nato-led coalition in Afghanistan.

Edit: quote function

Moderated by Stardove on Sep 22, 2012 - 01:57PM
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2012 - 9:18AM #10
crunchyfrog

What do you expect when journalism become entertainment?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook