Switch to Forum Live View Squatter's Rights in Philly?
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 3:29PM #1
Ironhold
link

A cafe owner claims that a blighted lot near his business was a hazard to customers and a public nuisance, so after what he alleges to be several failed attempts to purchase the land he decided to go ahead and landscape it, turning it into a patio for his business.

The city, meanwhile, accuses him of tresspassing and claims that he never bothered to try and purchase it. They want him to let the lot go wild again and restore the barriers that were in place, no matter how nice it looks.

Oy....
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 4:05PM #2
Stardove

Shame on Philly!

This reminds me of the mega church whose property surrounds our homestead on 2 and 1/2 sides.  Since purchasing 200 acres to build the church and other buildings they do not mow the land bordering our property.  The weeds and grass are high and the rats and snakes love it.

We have requested on several occasions for the church to clean up the land next to our property.  They say they will, but never come.  Prior to the church purchasing the property cattle kept the weeds and grass ate down.

Last summer they wanted to buy our back pasture which we do maintain. It sticks out in their property.  Hubby was "no sale".  Now they have called asking if we would swap their road frontage for our back "finger".  Only time will tell if we can come to an agreement, especially, because they have shown no respect for us and lied about mowing the weeds and grass for years now.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 8:47PM #3
jane2

Sep 20, 2012 -- 4:05PM, Stardove wrote:

Shame on Philly!

This reminds me of the mega church whose property surrounds our homestead on 2 and 1/2 sides.  Since purchasing 200 acres to build the church and other buildings they do not mow the land bordering our property.  The weeds and grass are high and the rats and snakes love it.

We have requested on several occasions for the church to clean up the land next to our property.  They say they will, but never come.  Prior to the church purchasing the property cattle kept the weeds and grass ate down.

Last summer they wanted to buy our back pasture which we do maintain. It sticks out in their property.  Hubby was "no sale".  Now they have called asking if we would swap their road frontage for our back "finger".  Only time will tell if we can come to an agreement, especially, because they have shown no respect for us and lied about mowing the weeds and grass for years now.

One nasty situation, Stardove.

What are the zoning regs??

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 10:07PM #4
Stardove

Jane, if there was a house on the land this would never be permitted.  When cattle is on Agricultural land it doesn't have to be maintained.  There was cattle for so many years on this property the city has let this slip by, nor have we complained to the zoning department.

Our property is still zoned Agricultural, but we do not have any cattle and up until the church bought the land it was zoned Agricultural.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 1:04PM #5
DotNotInOz

I'd think that church would have endless problems with snakes and rodents invading their buildings and thus be very much interested in keeping the property mowed.

Not very neighborly of them as we'd say where I grew up in Kansas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 1:36PM #6
Stardove

The problem is the actual church buildings are not near our land.  With 200 acres the building are far away from us.  We are 1/2 mile from a highway on which the church has two entrances which are at least 1/2 mile down the service road.  You can see the church from that highway. 

The church's land bordering our property is not developed.  There is a narrow strip of land between our property and the neighbor's whose acreage and house is on another road, not our street. 

Then the church land is directly behind us and borders 1/2 of the other side of property.  On that side there are two tanks (or ponds).  There is also a creek behind our property which flows when it rains and runs into the water tanks.

They simply do not care about being "good neighbors" to us, but now they want to wheel and deal!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 3:01PM #7
k-bearsmom

Hi Star.....rats and snakes! ! ! ! !...not good 'advertising' for a church!

In our part of Denver...the city would have...by now...slapped a really hefty fine on the church for the weeds alone!

This is just unconsciencable behaviour and I'm sorry you and hank have had to put up with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 6:06PM #8
Stardove

Thanks K-bear!  If we come to an agreement in trading land we will be able to mow the land next to the house.  That's the bad part is having the over growth so close to our home. 

Although Hank does love his morning walks in our back pasture.  I took a picture of a buck one day back there.  Then he saw his doe and fawns and jumped the fence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2012 - 10:45PM #9
rangerken

Anyone know the current status of the Philadelphia situation?

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook