Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can the Chicken Change its Spots? New CFA 'Outlook' on Anti-Gay Donations
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 12:46PM #1
Do_unto_others

Could Chick-fil-A be turning over a new leaf?

A Chicago-based lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocacy group reports that the restaurant chain -- which was at the epicenter of a media firestorm this summer after its president confirmed his company's anti-gay stance -- has agreed to cease donations to right-wing groups that oppose same-sex marriage.

In a press release, the Civil Rights Agenda (TCRA) cites Alderman Moreno as confirming that Chick-fil-A officials declared in an internal document that the company "will treat every person equally, regardless of sexual orientation." TCRA reportedly served as an advisor to Alderman as he negotiated these concessions with Chick-fil-A executives, though details of exactly what those negotiations entailed remain unclear.

More at: www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/chick-...

Plus the news release at: jointcra.org/

Frankly, I'm not convinced there's been ANY change of heart. So call me a sceptic. But, we'll see     

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 2:26PM #2
Nepenthe

I would have to agree that there was probably not a change of heart, as this would be the normal reaction when a city official declares to use their power to prevent you from operating unless you change your political stance, something known as extortion. 

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 2:30PM #3
Stardove

You are probably correct about no change of heart, but let's hope this is a start. 

Now if the others who give to groups which fight against LGBT equality take note and stop the donations just maybe it would open people's eye to we are all equal.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 4:18PM #4
Iwantamotto

I'm concerned over any entity/person who can change their "hardcore moral values" just because someone said they'd stop giving you the opportunity to make money.  I'm glad they're stopping, of course, but then again, if they thought their values were so sacred, WHY did they stop?

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 6:44PM #5
Erey

I don't know I think this Mr. Christy probably has the same values and opinions he has always had in regards to Gay marriage.  I assume his employees run the gamut from sharing these values to having the opposite oppinion.  I am going to make the assumption that more than not the employees are self-described christians. 

In my view he has not said his oppinion has changed.  What he is changing is his financial support to political groups that actively oppose SSM and other gay civil rights issues. 

Frankly I don't see any issue with that.  I think it is a well-reasoned approach and probably works best for a company that even though has a strong christian culture most likely the gay issue is not unanimous amoung the staff. 

I think it is best for corporations to give to causes that the vast majority of customers and employees can get behind.  Food pantries, park beautification, cures for diseases, etc. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 9:31PM #6
mountain_man

Sep 19, 2012 -- 12:46PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

...Frankly, I'm not convinced there's been ANY change of heart. So call me a skeptic. But, we'll see    

I'm skeptical too. But lets see what happens next. The guy still has the right to see homosexuality any way he wants to, and has the right to express that opinion... the donating of millions of dollars to hate groups is what crossed the line.

I still won't eat there though, I don't like their food.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 9:32PM #7
mountain_man

Sep 19, 2012 -- 4:18PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I'm concerned over any entity/person who can change their "hardcore moral values" just because someone said they'd stop giving you the opportunity to make money.  I'm glad they're stopping, of course, but then again, if they thought their values were so sacred, WHY did they stop?

I do not believe for a second that the guy had a change of heart. What he did was stop donating to hate groups, and any group with a political agenda. Smart move on his part.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 2:07PM #8
3neez

Sep 19, 2012 -- 9:32PM, mountain_man wrote:

Sep 19, 2012 -- 4:18PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I do not believe for a second that the guy had a change of heart. What he did was stop donating to hate groups, and any group with a political agenda. Smart move on his part.

The World around us is changing and no one wants to be thankful for it. No good deed goes unpunished. Good for you Dave.

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 2:12PM #9
Stardove

Does this story prove the power of the people? 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 2:36PM #10
3neez

Sep 20, 2012 -- 2:12PM, Stardove wrote:

Does this story prove the power of the people? 

It proves the power of love. Christ never said His message was meant to be a burden. 

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook