Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Mega-Tsunami Volcano Becoming Active, Threatens East Coast
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 3:08PM #11
CoolWarrior

Paravani:

Why aren't you warning people about the looming eruption of Mt Fuji?

That would kill more people.

But maybe because most of them would be Japanese it is not of much concern to you?

Or maybe you haven't kept up with the latest reports on Mt Fuji's pre-eruption bulging and sonic emmissions?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 4:03PM #12
CoolWarrior

"The pressure in Mount Fuji's magma chamber is now higher than it was in 1707, the last time the nearly 4,000-metre-high Japanese volcano erupted, causing volcanologists to speculate that a disaster is imminent."  

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/06/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 4:26PM #13
mytmouse57

Whooo hoooo... the sh*t's gonna hit the fan! Everbody hold on!!!

(I live right next door to one of the world's biggest supervolcanos, btw)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 7:47PM #14
TemplarS

Well, it is 2012...

isn't the world supposed to end soon?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2012 - 9:06PM #15
CoolWarrior

Oh, that's right.

You know, I think that explains Mitt Romney too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 10:26AM #16
mytmouse57

Sep 19, 2012 -- 2:10AM, Ebon wrote:

Sep 19, 2012 -- 1:51AM, Paravani wrote:

Err... Ebon, didn't you say you lived in London?  It's very near sea level, isn't it?

Nope, I live in the Midlands. As the name implies, we're pretty close to the centre of the country. I just visit London fairly often because my father lives just outside it. Come to think of it, my mother would be in more danger, she lives down in Devon.

Most people here (in the states) think of England as a place that's all but paved over every square inch. But I understand, you guys have a fair amont of open, and even fairly wild, country. 

I woud love to go tromping across rural/wild England!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 11:47AM #17
Paravani

Sep 20, 2012 -- 10:26AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Most people here (in the states) think of England as a place that's all but paved over every square inch.

Hey, speak for yourself!

With Britcoms like "The Vicar of Dibley" seen all over the world now, it would be hard to miss that much of England is rural. 

But I understand, you guys have a fair amont of open, and even fairly wild, country. 

Been there, done that -- at least, visited the RHS gardens at Wisley three times, saw some of rural England on the way there from London.  The great thing about England is that it has such fabulous public transit that you don't need to rent a car when you visit.  Trains and buses can take you anywhere you want to go, even out to tiny little towns.

Of course, England has been subject to the cultivating hand of humanity for thousands of years, so even the "wilds" are somewhat planned, in that the nation seems to have decided that cultivating every square inch of available soil wouldn't be a good thing.  But England is truly a nation of gardeners, so what is cultivated is also lovely and charming, for the most part.

If you can find your way clear to go, GO!

Even before you have the money, look online to see how much you'll need to save -- you may find that it isn't as much as you thought.  Nowadays, you can book your own flights and hotels online, and travel in the off-season is much more reasonable than traveling between April 1 and September 30 -- but you can play around with the reservations search engines, and often you'll be able to hit a "sweet spot" at the beginning or end of the tourist season.

I book all of our travel, and last time we went to Paris (by way of Heathrow to save airfare) for five days and then Venice for ten days.   The time before that, we stayed a week in London and a week in Paris.  Wherever we go, we buy most of our food in grocery stores and only dine out every other day or so, and it was MUCH cheaper than you'd think.

Sign up on the airlines' mailing lists, and they'll notify you when they have sales. 

One year we took my 16yo daughter to London and Paris over Thanksgiving.  When other Americans were flying home to the US, we flew to Europe; and because we were filling otherwise empty seats, complete roundtrip airfare to London for the three of us was under a thousand dollars TOTAL -- less than $330 each.  Of course, that was back in 2004 when gas was quite a bit cheaper; but if you book three or more months in advance, you can still get pretty good deals on airfare and rooms.

Really, if you can see your way clear to go...  GO.  Don't just dream about it... make your dreams come true!

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 1:38PM #18
world citizen

Sep 19, 2012 -- 2:10AM, Ebon wrote:

Sep 19, 2012 -- 1:51AM, Paravani wrote:

Err... Ebon, didn't you say you lived in London?  It's very near sea level, isn't it?

Nope, I live in the Midlands. As the name implies, we're pretty close to the centre of the country. I just visit London fairly often because my father lives just outside it. Come to think of it, my mother would be in more danger, she lives down in Devon.

Devon (pronounced "Debon" by the locals) is in the West Country, right on the channel.  Where does your mother live, Ebon?  Is she nearer the Torbay area (Torquay, Paignton, Brixham) or the major city of Plymouth?  Perhaps near Dartmouth or further inland?

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2012 - 1:32PM #19
mytmouse57

Sep 20, 2012 -- 11:47AM, Paravani wrote:

Most people here (in the states) think of England as a place that's all but paved over every square inch.

Hey, speak for yourself!

With Britcoms like "The Vicar of Dibley" seen all over the world now, it would be hard to miss that much of England is rural. 

But I understand, you guys have a fair amont of open, and even fairly wild, country. 

Been there, done that -- at least, visited the RHS gardens at Wisley three times, saw some of rural England on the way there from London.  The great thing about England is that it has such fabulous public transit that you don't need to rent a car when you visit.  Trains and buses can take you anywhere you want to go, even out to tiny little towns.

Of course, England has been subject to the cultivating hand of humanity for thousands of years, so even the "wilds" are somewhat planned, in that the nation seems to have decided that cultivating every square inch of available soil wouldn't be a good thing.  But England is truly a nation of gardeners, so what is cultivated is also lovely and charming, for the most part.

If you can find your way clear to go, GO!

Even before you have the money, look online to see how much you'll need to save -- you may find that it isn't as much as you thought.  Nowadays, you can book your own flights and hotels online, and travel in the off-season is much more reasonable than traveling between April 1 and September 30 -- but you can play around with the reservations search engines, and often you'll be able to hit a "sweet spot" at the beginning or end of the tourist season.

I book all of our travel, and last time we went to Paris (by way of Heathrow to save airfare) for five days and then Venice for ten days.   The time before that, we stayed a week in London and a week in Paris.  Wherever we go, we buy most of our food in grocery stores and only dine out every other day or so, and it was MUCH cheaper than you'd think.

Sign up on the airlines' mailing lists, and they'll notify you when they have sales. 

One year we took my 16yo daughter to London and Paris over Thanksgiving.  When other Americans were flying home to the US, we flew to Europe; and because we were filling otherwise empty seats, complete roundtrip airfare to London for the three of us was under a thousand dollars TOTAL -- less than $330 each.  Of course, that was back in 2004 when gas was quite a bit cheaper; but if you book three or more months in advance, you can still get pretty good deals on airfare and rooms.

Really, if you can see your way clear to go...  GO.  Don't just dream about it... make your dreams come true!

Love,

Claudia

Thanks for the stories and advice. My father traveled extensivly in the last 25 years or so of his life, and took some trips to Europe. His wife had famiy in rural Germany, and he even got to go hunting there once. I was envious!

Yes, I realize "wild" can be a relative term. I live right next to some of the most vast wild country anywhere, outside of Alaska or Sibera. So, by that standard, England might seem pretty tame. Still, what I've seen in films or photographs looks beautiful. Ditto for Ireland. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2012 - 10:40PM #20
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement