Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Full Warp Speed Ahead... Beam Me Up, Scotty!
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 6:54AM #31
Iwantamotto

Erey:  another good reason to keep NASA around

Unless there's an O-ring or some woodpecker damage....

mountain_man:  They just complain about this or that and have no dreams for the future.

As someone who loved going to the space center thingie in Huntsville as a kid, I have lots of dreams.  NASA is lazy and incompetent for all the money we give them and I would much rather spend all that money here on earth, because I also have dreams of making this world a better place.

Paravani:  They've found ways to cut the expense of warp drive, too.  Again, if you had read the articles, you'd know that.

You also know that Earth pretty much gave up on money, right?  I mean, it's inconsistent later on, especially dealing with Ferengi and stuff who still have economies, but contrast what the Phoenix looked like versus the Enterprise.  The Phoenix was a cobbled-together piece of crap that barely survived a trip of a few minutes.  This isn't even only due to future technology being available in the future:  the Phoenix era still used an economy, an economy that was devastated by wars.  When we're all like Starfleet and singing kumbaya, we'll be in a better position to work on a starship that won't blow up before hitting the upper atmosphere.

But then, those kinds of people never do find much of anything, do they?

Exploration is fine and dandy but don't leave your house a total train wreck before you go.

Ebon:  Assuming I was allowed to take one of those on our voyage, I could load it with every textbook I'd need, copies of the DSSM, etc and still have space for several thousand books

The sad thing is that our kindles probably have more power than the entire TOS Enterprise.  :P

Paravani:  Remember all the sci-fi books we used to read as kids, how they were always talking about books and information being stored on impossibly small disks or chips or cubes?  Remember how much fantasy it all seemed back then?

Light bulbs used to be sci-fi too, but we didn't have to go to Outer Space to get them...

NASA loves to claim that without the space program we wouldn't have things like velcro.  BS.  NASA is only interested in looking relevant despite all the evidence to the contrary.  And this is coming from someone who would pay money and possibly sell off relatives to go into space.  People have been inventing for a loooooong time.  Hero was an ancient Greek who developed "automatic doors" for temples.  They not only predate Leo Da Vinci for the hydraulic man concept, but they even had a god in their pantheon who was a total robot-making geek.

Medical technology has seen so many advances that were only "sci-fi" -- if they were dreamt of at all -- that I could probably fill several posts with them.

The inventors of MRI and such didn't go to space to invent those technologies.  They watched Star TRek.  You are confused about cause and effect.  Sci-fi inspires lots of people and can create their own prophecies.  We don't need NASA, we need good sci-fi shows.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 11:14AM #32
mytmouse57

Quit trying to bring practicality into this. 

I want to be Capt. Picard!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 11:56AM #33
Paravani

Sep 20, 2012 -- 11:14AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Quit trying to bring practicality into this. 

I want to be Capt. Picard!

Well, you're going to have to work pretty hard to get there. 

For instance, first thing you're going to have to do is shave your head...  and then you've got to work on that groovy English accent!

Wink

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2012 - 8:01PM #34
IreneAdler

This is sooo neat!

I wanna be Lt. Uhura.

Thinking a two year trip would call for some suspended animation - or the taking along of a lot of groceries to sustain the travelers. Am sure that will be worked through (Tang anyone?LOL!). 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2012 - 11:40PM #35
rangerken

This thread is reaally about science, not science fiction, which is why it's been moved off the Hot topics Zone to here, instead of to the Entrtainment forum. This could have worldwide ramifications after all.

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook