Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Greatest Invention in the History of Food
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 7:37PM #1
solfeggio
A team of forty-five scientists at Britain's Royal Society, the UK's national academy of Science, ranked a shortlist of twenty of the most important innovations in the history of food and drink by their levels of accessibility, productivity, aesthetics, and health.  Refrigeration came out on top.

www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/the-h...

www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2...

The Royal Society Fellows, chaired by Sir Peter Williams, and including a Nobel Prize winner, noted that two of the top three discoveries came from Britain.  Artificial refrigeration was first demonstrated in Glasgow in 1748, and the tin can was patented in 1810 by a British merchant.

Following refrigeration at the top of the list were pasteurisation and sterilisation, canning, the oven, irrigation, the threshing machine, and baking.  Pasteurisation was, of course, discovered by French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur, whilst the use of the oven goes back to the ancient Greeks, and irrigation was practised in ancient Mesopotamia.

The threshing machine is also a British invention, from Scottish mechanical engineer Andrew Meikle in 1784, and baking can be traced back to the Roman Empire. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 7:46PM #2
rocketjsquirell

Sounds good to me

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 8:22PM #3
TemplarS

Damn, fermentation only made #11...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 9:06PM #4
Erey

I have been taking my refrigerator for granted too long!  It is true, it is a fabulous invention and society would be very different without it. 

It is interesting to think how something we consider sort of ho-hum and mundane is really a big game-changer. 

I am thinking of a book I read a few years ago but I keep going back to Botany of Desire.

Just how plants have changed or adapted to get our attention so we will help them reproduce and what role these plants have played in our history and current society.

He covers the potato, the tulip, the apple and cannibus.  Very interesting read

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 9:47PM #5
mountain_man

That's just all stuff that's nice. The Greatest Invention in FOOD has to be meatloaf. And not with slimy gravy making a boggy mess of the whole thing, but the right way with catsup.

Eggplant has to be the worst.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 10:16PM #6
farragut

"Eggplant has to be the worst."

Oh, Dave. Here you are wrong again. Have you never had eggplant parmigiana? It is so good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 10:45PM #7
jane2

We didn't have a refrigerator until I was six--1946. We had an ice-box and the iceman brought ice a couple times a week. In the summer he would chip off pieces to give to us. He had a horse and wagon.

We knew our milkman, bread man, and laundry man--my mother sent sheets and towels to the laundry. We always bought a pecan Louisiana coffee cake for Sunday on the Saturday stop. Our dairy was run by a family in our Catholic parish. (New York State was second only to Wisconsin in dairy production. NYS sharp cheddar cheese is still prized.)

Now I lug milk, bread and pastry from Publix !!! I am looking for a laundry to pick up my sheets and towels : they come back all nicely ironed (sheets) and folded.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 11:24PM #8
mountain_man

Sep 14, 2012 -- 10:16PM, farragut wrote:

Oh, Dave. Here you are wrong again. Have you never had eggplant parmigiana? It is so good.

The Parmigiana part is OK, what they put it on is horrible. It would be better to save the parmigiana and put it on veal (free range veal).

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 11:45PM #9
3neez

Slice up some eggplant like one would a tomato. Make the slices about 1/4" thick, dip them in cornmeal and fry them at 325. Do the same with green tomatos.

Hard to beat.

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 10:49AM #10
farragut

Oh yes. Put the two together in a sandwich of whole wheat bread with a touch of bluecheese dressing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook