Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scott Walker Smack Down
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 6:39PM #1
CoolWarrior
A judge in Wisconsin just struck down the law that would have taken away almost all collective bargaining rights frm public workers' unions.

Poor poor Scotty!

www.washingtonpost.com/national/judge-st...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 7:48PM #2
rangerken

Don't jump to conclusions. Remember, the Wisconsin supreme court is a different thing entirely. What we have here is a liberl judge trying to undo what the legislature, and voters...twice...wanted done. I bet the law gets upheld by the higher court in Wisconsin, as I believe, and hope it should.

Anything that weakens public employee unions is always a good thing for the tax payers and any state as a whole. I'm with FDR and Geoge Meany on this...there shouldn't even be public employee unions at all.

Anyway, this is, in my opinion, a short lived blip which will be swept away by a higher Wisconsin court.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 7:57PM #3
rocketjsquirell

Que Sera, sera! But, in the mean time it is a good development. The law is actually unconstitutional.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 9:47PM #4
Svetlana

Sep 14, 2012 -- 7:48PM, rangerken wrote:

Don't jump to conclusions. Remember, the Wisconsin supreme court is a different thing entirely. What we have here is a liberl judge trying to undo what the legislature, and voters...twice...wanted done. I bet the law gets upheld by the higher court in Wisconsin, as I believe, and hope it should.

Anything that weakens public employee unions is always a good thing for the tax payers and any state as a whole. I'm with FDR and Geoge Meany on this...there shouldn't even be public employee unions at all.

Anyway, this is, in my opinion, a short lived blip which will be swept away by a higher Wisconsin court.

Ken

I certainly hope not!!  I live in Wisconsin, and am acquainted with a number of teachers and other public employees.  Walker is indifferent to education, and school districts are eviscerated.  A very large number of teachers have lost their jobs because their districts could no longer afford them (their budgets having been slashed), and those who remain  may have to take second jobs, as well as teach far more students in each class, AND pay for many of the students' materials out-of-pocket, since the school systems can no longer afford to do so.  We used to have the highest ranking school systems in the country.  I greatly fear now that our graduates will no longer be qualified to work anywhere, because our school systems have been so severely crippled by this man.  The wealthy in our state, of course, will have their taxes cut so that they can afford private schools for their kids. 

Yes, the school budget needed cutting, but already low or non-existent taxes for the rich did NOT need to be cut, and the resulting damage to our children is inexcusable.  Greed is contemptible anyway, but when it actually harms people, it is completely evil and inexcusable.

Walker made it clear by this law that he intends to punish public employees further.  One does not take away people's abiblity to protect themselves if one does not wish to hurt them.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2012 - 9:50PM #5
mountain_man

The legislature did NOT do what the people, the voters, wanted done. They did what ALEC and the Koch Brothers wanted done. It took a Progressive, intelligent, judge that was not on the Koch Brothers payroll to set things right.

Anything that weakens public employee unions is always a good thing for the tax payers and any state as a whole....

That is not true at all and you know it.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 12:12AM #6
mainecaptain

Unions hold this country together. And keeps business honest. Anyone who wants to weaken the Unions is either not thinking, been brainwashed by fox fake news, or does not like people being treated fairly.

Remember Unions are human beings, unlike corporations which are NOT people. Unions gave us the 5 day week. Took children out of coal mines, by pushing for child labour laws and unions are MORE needed than ever. Several conservative politician want to put children back out in the work force. Instead of sending them to school to learn and make a better life.

This country is fast going down the toilet. Part of that is the weakening of Unions. We need unions. Strong unions to PROTECT workers. In states without unions, people can be fired for nothing, have no workers protections. And do not get paid fairly.In other words the powerful greedy corporations are screwing over the population.

It says a lot about someone who does not like unions

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 12:22AM #7
rangerken

I'm all for private industry unions. I'm all for collective bargaining in the private sector. What I am opposed to....and my own experiences as a public school teacher who had to belong to a union, and a school board member in my town who had to put up with the local teacher's union reinforces this...is pubic sector unions! As I've said before, I'm with FDR and George Meany about this. Anything that weakens public sector unions I'm all for. At the same time I fully support private sector unions. The company my grandfather founded, and father helped build and then run, was largely unionized and things worked out just fine!

And in my experience teacher's unions are NOT at all about the students. They are all about teacher job security and avoidance of responsibility for actions and seniority first and foremost regardless of demonstrated merit.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 12:32AM #8
jane2

Sep 14, 2012 -- 9:47PM, Svetlana wrote:

Ken

I certainly hope not!!  I live in Wisconsin, and am acquainted with a number of teachers and other public employees.  Walker is indifferent to education, and school districts are eviscerated.  A very large number of teachers have lost their jobs because their districts could no longer afford them (their budgets having been slashed), and those who remain  may have to take second jobs, as well as teach far more students in each class, AND pay for many of the students' materials out-of-pocket, since the school systems can no longer afford to do so.  We used to have the highest ranking school systems in the country.  I greatly fear now that our graduates will no longer be qualified to work anywhere, because our school systems have been so severely crippled by this man.  The wealthy in our state, of course, will have their taxes cut so that they can afford private schools for their kids. 

Yes, the school budget needed cutting, but already low or non-existent taxes for the rich did NOT need to be cut, and the resulting damage to our children is inexcusable.  Greed is contemptible anyway, but when it actually harms people, it is completely evil and inexcusable.

Walker made it clear by this law that he intends to punish public employees further.  One does not take away people's abiblity to protect themselves if one does not wish to hurt them.

So well said, Svetlana

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 12:38AM #9
CoolWarrior

Come on guys! Don't bother anti-union people with facts!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2012 - 1:21PM #10
mytmouse57

I'm not a big fan of unions.

I grew up in Butte, Montana, where the unions had a stranglehold on local politics and other structures of power, and would regularly bully those who tried to disagree or break ranks.

My own family was terrorized by unions, because my father crossed them once. We had bricks thrown through our windows at night.  And one of our family friends had his car sabatoged in such a way, it could have ended up killing him. Luckily, all he did was crash.

No, I'm not fond of unions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook