Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Muslims Protest Libyan Embassy Murders
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 2:59PM #1
Paravani

Hi, All!
This deserves its own thread:  Muslims in Benghazi are protesting the murder of Americans by other Muslims.

'This Does Not Represent Us': Moving Photos of Pro-American Rallies in Libya

Libya Protests Spurred By Anti-Muslim Film Whose Maker's Religion Is Widely Reported But Little-Known

And what is it all about, anyway?
The film, which has gone viral on YouTube despite restricted access, is titled "Innocence of Muslims".  It depicts scenes in the life of the prophet Mohammed.  The producer is a Coptic Christian, a minority which is aggressively persecuted by Muslims in Egypt, where Muslims are continuing to demonstrate against the film.

Innocence of Muslims:

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:04PM #2
mytmouse57

The world is shrinking.

Actions, whether good or bad, stupid or wise, will have a farther reach and greater impact.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:05PM #3
teilhard

"Islam" IS a "Religion of Peace" ...

I have some very deep Feelings about this ...

My own Representative in Congress is Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to The U. S. Congress ... I know him personally and well ... I know his Faith and his Life ...

May PEACE be upon all People of Peace ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:16PM #4
mytmouse57

"The producer is a Coptic Christian, a minority which which is aggressively persecuted by Muslims in Egypt, where Muslims are continuing to demonstrate against the film."

No excuse.

The producer apparenlty lives in comfort in the United states, as do I.

Baha'is are aggressively persecuted by misguided Muslims in Iran, but I would never dream of disparaging the Muslim faith, much less make a film deliberately trying to provoke hatred and violence.

However, I would, without hestiation, call the producer an ignorant, arrogant jackass to his face. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:19PM #5
teilhard

And I would like to see the Video Maker arrested and prosecuted ...

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:16PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

"The producer is a Coptic Christian, a minority which which is aggressively persecuted by Muslims in Egypt, where Muslims are continuing to demonstrate against the film."

No excuse.

Baha'is are aggressively persecuted by misguided Muslims in Iran, but I would never dream of disparaging the Muslim faith, much less make a film deliberately trying to provoke hatred and violence.

I would, without hestiation, call the producer an ignorant, arrogant jackass to his face. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:24PM #6
Paravani

It's not clear if the attack was actually motivated by the film, or whether the protests against the film simply provided convenient cover for an attack that had been long in the planning.

Six things to know about attack that killed Ambassador Stevens

... sources tracking militant Islamist groups in eastern Libya say a pro-al Qaeda group responsible for a previous armed assault on the Benghazi consulate is the chief suspect.

They also note that the attack immediately followed a call from al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri for revenge for the death in June of Abu Yahya al-Libi, a senior Libyan member of al Qaeda.

U.S. sources also have said they believed the attack was planned and used the protest as a diversion, though the sources could not say whether the attackers instigated the protest or merely took advantage of it

The actors in the film -- which is obviously dubbed --  say they were grossly misled about it.

The 80 cast and crew members involved in the making of the movie that has roiled much of the Islamic world said Wednesday they were "grossly misled" about its intent and expressed sorrow over the resulting violence.

...  A casting call published in July 2011 in Backstage magazine and in other publications for actors identifies the working title of the movie as "Desert Warrior" and describes it as a "historical Arabian Desert adventure film."

An actress in the film who asked not to be identified said the original script did not include a Prophet Muhammed character. She added that she and other actors complained that their lines had been changed.

There will be additional information to report, I'm sure, as events unfold.  This story is by no means finished.

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:31PM #7
Paravani

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:19PM, teilhard wrote:

Here in the United States, we don't arrest people for free speech.  We are allowed to criticize our government, our politicians, and any and all religions.

The Constitution that protects that filmmaker's right to free speech is the same one that protects your freedom of religion.

And why, I wonder, are you not also calling for the arrest of the imam who is recruiting terrorists for Al Quaeda?

I mean, it's okay for a Muslim to incite others to violence and recruit terrorists to kill your fellow Americans in cities and shopping malls...  but it's not okay for a filmmaker to criticize that same imam's religion?

I'd say you have a double standard.

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:36PM #8
mytmouse57

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:19PM, teilhard wrote:

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:16PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

No excuse.

I would, without hestiation, call the producer an ignorant, arrogant jackass to his face. 

Not me.

I'm a very strong free speech advocate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:39PM #9
Erey

I posted to the other thread but it probably belongs here.

Why are the Libyans being so different from all the other arabs?  Is the government today forcing them? 

Why are all the other countries protesting angrily and some violently but LIbya is the only anti-terrorism protesting place.

There is a big difference here and it is very important to understand what that difference is and why it is showing itself now in this situation.  Heck if I know the difference.  My only thought is they are being strong armed or the Libyans are more desparate of American support/approval.

I do smell something fishy, I don't like saying that but I do.  Any thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 4:00PM #10
Paravani

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:39PM, Erey wrote:

Why are the Libyans being so different from all the other arabs?  Is the government today forcing them? 

Why are all the other countries protesting angrily and some violently but LIbya is the only anti-terrorism protesting place.

There is a big difference here and it is very important to understand what that difference is and why it is showing itself now in this situation.  Heck if I know the difference.  My only thought is they are being strong armed or the Libyans are more desparate of American support/approval.

Hi, All!

Hi, Erey!

Maybe the difference is due to American support of Libya's successful rebellion against Moammar Ghadafi last year?  I mean, it seems as if the protestors there really DID like their US ambassador, Christopher Stevens.

Love,

Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 16  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook