Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Murder Over Cuts of Meat
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 3:58PM #1
Cowfornow
I now believe the world is coming to an end, suffocating on stupidity.

www.stltoday.com/news/state-and-regional...

A St. Louis County man is accused of killing his uncle in a dispute over pork steaks.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that 43-year-old John Cunningham of Jennings is charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of his uncle, 44-year-old Lessie Lowe.

The shooting happened during an argument early Monday. Police say the men were arguing over whether the cuts of meat they were planning to cook were pork steaks or pork chops. Cunningham said they were pork steaks, but Lowe disagreed.

Police say the argument became physical and the two had to be separated by someone else in the house. Cunningham then allegedly retrieved a shotgun and shot Lowe, who died later at a hospital.

In the original article in today's Post-Dispatch, one of the victim's brothers said the two men were very close and hung around together a lot. 

Here you will find no works of poetry or philosophy.  I take pride in functioning without rhyme or reason.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 6:56PM #2
mytmouse57

A few years ago, my neighbors and some of their relatives were out on their front lawn at about 1 a.m. on Thanksgiving, pounding the sh*t out of one another.

Perhaps it was over who got the last drumstick -- or the last of the whipped cream on pumkin pie?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 7:05PM #3
DotNotInOz

It occurred in MISSOURI. Honestly, you can't expect much more than this sort of thing from the state with the most meth labs per capita in the entire U.S.

Today, the lege voted to overturn Gov. Nixon's veto of the bill permitting employers to refuse to provide birth control as part of their healthcare insurance if doing so is contrary to their religious beliefs or morals. Nevermind that this flies in the face of a federal mandate and undoubtedly will cost megabucks once it heads into the justice system.

Two Catholic institutions subsequently announced that they will no longer offer healthcare insurance.

Someone has to explain to me what kind of sense it makes to refuse to offer medical insurance which generally results in healthier employees and less absenteeism simply because you're afraid they might be sinning and getting birth control pills.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 7:06PM #4
Miraj

If I was non-Muslim, I'd be outraged!

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 8:34PM #5
Ebon

On the subject of food, I discovered today that the UK government is in the process of banning battery egg/chicken farming.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 10:48PM #6
mainecaptain

Sep 12, 2012 -- 8:34PM, Ebon wrote:

On the subject of food, I discovered today that the UK government is in the process of banning battery egg/chicken farming.

Wonderful !!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2012 - 11:24PM #7
jane2

Sep 12, 2012 -- 7:05PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

It occurred in MISSOURI. Honestly, you can't expect much more than this sort of thing from the state with the most meth labs per capita in the entire U.S.

Today, the lege voted to overturn Gov. Nixon's veto of the bill permitting employers to refuse to provide birth control as part of their healthcare insurance if doing so is contrary to their religious beliefs or morals. Nevermind that this flies in the face of a federal mandate and undoubtedly will cost megabucks once it heads into the justice system.

Two Catholic institutions subsequently announced that they will no longer offer healthcare insurance.

Someone has to explain to me what kind of sense it makes to refuse to offer medical insurance which generally results in healthier employees and less absenteeism simply because you're afraid they might be sinning and getting birth control pills.

Eight-five percent of Catholics in the US never bought into the artificial birth control encyclical and still don't. I'm outta the pews because of what Rome did to our liturgy because of some weird preference for Latin and "exact translations". Archbishop Dolan got his red hat and is considered a sycophant for Rome;we find many ways to undo his nonsense. In truth we paid for my birth control "pills" for years before they were covered by insurance. Not exactly a secret--Rome and the dioceses are feeling the pinch as revenues dry up.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:18AM #8
CharikIeia

Sep 12, 2012 -- 3:58PM, Cowfornow wrote:

...the men were arguing over whether the cuts of meat they were planning to cook
were pork steaks or pork chops...

Actually, the difference matters, especially for BBQ.

I wonder why they needed a gun. A can of beer would have been more fitting.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 3:35AM #9
DotNotInOz

I don't know that whether they were chops or steaks would make any notable difference. I don't generally buy pork steaks anyway because they're much more sinewy and leathery no matter how carefully cooked. Google tells me that pork steak is a regional thing, used interchangeably with pork chops, the latter being a more visually appealing and expensive cut.

So, the argument was more over semantics than anything else. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 4:20AM #10
CharikIeia

Sep 13, 2012 -- 3:35AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Google tells me that pork steak is a regional thing, used interchangeably with pork chops, the latter being a more visually appealing and expensive cut.

So, the argument was more over semantics than anything else. 

I guess it was the usual disagreement on minor stuff you can get into when you hang around with each other too much.

The question I would ask myself:
Why was a gun there, and why was the threshold to use it so low?

But never underestimate semantics as a reason for conflict! See "anti-Semitism", see "Islamic", see "the N word", see all other attempts to regulate language use in a way that appeases certain groups but enrages others. Apparently, we feel very deeply for the way we talk, and almost cannot fathom others meaning other things with the same words, or the same thing with other words...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook