Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Romney goes AWOL on Afghanistan
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:04PM #1
Stardove

I am for bringing the troops home from Afghanistan and totally against getting the USA involved in any new wars. What did Romney have to say about the war?  Nothing about Afghanistan, but his willingness to start a new war with Iran.

Romney goes AWOL on Afghanistan

In his meticulously choreographed entry into the convention hall last night, Republican White House hopeful Mitt Romney greeted the assembled delegates to convey the feel of a State of the Union address. But any resemblance to a commander-in-chief last night ended there. With tens of thousands of U.S. troops still in harm's way, Gov. Romney mentioned the war in Afghanistan exactly zero times. And for a man who opposed U.S. strikes in Pakistan to take out Osama Bin Laden and other high-value Al Qaeda targets, the silence on America's continuing conflict in Afghanistan is deafening.

During his remarks, Romney once again suggested his willingness to start a new war with Iran. But when it came to the old one in Afghanistan, the newly crowned nominee, who in March asked "how in the world can the commander in chief sleep at night, knowing that we have soldiers in harm's way that don't know exactly, precisely, what it is that they're doing there?" had nothing to say. Even Romney's staunch ally and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol was stunned at the unprecedented omission.....

Continued at the link. 
This is also found at the link:

The United States has some 68,000 troops fighting in Afghanistan. Over two thousand Americans have died in the more than ten years of that war, a war Mitt Romney has supported. Yet in his speech accepting his party's nomination to be commander in chief, Mitt Romney said not a word about the war in Afghanistan. Nor did he utter a word of appreciation to the troops fighting there, or to those who have fought there. Nor for that matter were there thanks for those who fought in Iraq, another conflict that went unmentioned.

What kind of Commander in Chief would Romney make?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:09PM #2
mecdukebec

Knowing many Marines and soldiers who've died and served in IRQ and AFG, I would say that Willard, Sir Milquetoast, would make a piss-poor CiC.  RIP, Kevin, USMC.  

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:11PM #3
3neez

If Romney spoke of Afghanistan it would be considered an attack on Obama's failures there. First recent thing that comes to mind is the utter failure of Obama's "Police Training" fiasco.

Must not speak of Obama.

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:17PM #4
CoolWarrior

Sep 5, 2012 -- 2:11PM, 3neez wrote:

If Romney spoke of Afghanistan it would be considered an attack on Obama's failures there.  

This is just another attempt to whitewash ROMNEY's WARMONGERING while he IGNORES the fate and plight of the people who actually have to fight the wars.

But then what des he know about war?

He spent the Vietnam War draftdodging in PARIS.

Poor guy

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:18PM #5
Sigmund

If Romney spoke of Afghanistan it would be considered an attack on Obama's failures there. First recent thing that comes to mind is the utter failure of Obama's "Police Training" fiasco.

Must not speak of Obama.

This is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Romney is trying to win the Presidency. If you think your opponent has failed at something you will do better, OF COURSE you attack him on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:20PM #6
mecdukebec

Sep 5, 2012 -- 2:18PM, Sigmund wrote:

Must not speak of Obama.

This is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Romney is trying to win the Presidency. If you think your opponent has failed at something you will do better, OF COURSE you attack him on it.

As I recall, Willard, Sir Milquetoast, whined that leaving IRQ was "too early," and wasn't all too ashamed to parrot that Wingoline.  Maybe Willard just has a poor speech writer, this cycle.  He's been running since, 2005. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:23PM #7
CoolWarrior

MITT doesn't want to remind anyone of who STARTED that war and then ABANDONED our troops for yet another useless war

and who said

"I don't worry about that war. I'll leave it to the next guy to figure out."

(words spoken by George W Bush when asked what his plans were for the withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 2:50PM #8
Stardove

Must not speak of Obama.

3neez, I thought you were paying attention.  Check out this Google search.

mitt romney slams obama

Seems to me Romney talks more about the current administration than what he would do.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 3:00PM #9
Nepenthe

Sep 5, 2012 -- 2:04PM, Stardove wrote:

Pretty much the same as our current CiC, as the foreign policies of both are pretty interchangable.

Gary Johnson 2012
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2012 - 3:03PM #10
CoolWarrior

Sep 5, 2012 -- 3:00PM, Nepenthe wrote:

Sep 5, 2012 -- 2:04PM, Stardove wrote:

Pretty much the same as our current CiC, as the foreign policies of both are pretty interchangable.

Really?

IRAN.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook