Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View School Kicks Out Pregnant Students
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2012 - 7:53PM #1
Paravani
Hi, All!

From the ACLU, dateline 08/06/2012:

Get Tested Or Get Out: School Forces Pregnancy Tests on Girls, Kicks out Students Who Refuse or are Pregnant

In a Louisiana public school, female students who are suspected of being pregnant are told that they must take a pregnancy test. Under school policy, those who are pregnant or refuse to take the test are kicked out and forced to undergo home schooling.

Welcome to Delhi Charter School, in Delhi, Louisiana, a school of 600 students that does not believe its female students have a right to education free from discrimination. According to its Student Pregnancy Policy, the school has a right to not only force testing upon girls, but to send them to a physician of the school administration’s choice. A positive test result, or failure to take the test at all, means administrators can forbid a girl from taking classes and force her to pursue a course of home study if she wishes to continue her education with the school.

This is in blatant violation of federal law and the U.S. Constitution.

This is so wrong in so many ways, I'm speechless.  Is this the face of the Amerikan Taliban?

Love,

Claudia
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2012 - 7:56PM #2
Mlyons619

Holy 1950's, Batman!!!

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2012 - 8:14PM #3
Miraj
Sounds like the work of American Christianists practicing Christianism.
Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2012 - 9:53PM #4
arielg

"According to its Student Pregnancy Policy, the school has a right to not only force testing upon girls, but to send them to a physician of the school administration’s choice. A positive test result, or failure to take the test at all, means administrators can forbid a girl from taking classes and force her to pursue a course of home study if she wishes to continue her education with the school"

If this is school policy, it is public knoweledge.  And if nobody has challenged it,  (how come?)  they are just applying their rules.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2012 - 9:57PM #5
mountain_man

Aug 10, 2012 -- 7:53PM, Paravani wrote:

...In a Louisiana public school...

Why am I not surprised this is happening in the South?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 1:18AM #6
Shusha

The girl should provide a list of all boys she has had sexual encounters with and they should all be expelled for a home study as well.  Fair is fair. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 9:47AM #7
mytmouse57

Aug 11, 2012 -- 1:18AM, Shusha wrote:

The girl should provide a list of all boys she has had sexual encounters with and they should all be expelled for a home study as well.  Fair is fair. 

I agree.

The boys shouldn't be able to just "fire and forget," so to speak.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 9:52AM #8
Erey

Forcing pregnancy tests on girls is right out and should not be tolerated.

I did back in the early-mid 90's work in a school where there was a problematic/higher than average incedent of teen pregnancy. 

I won't say the girls were "kicked out" but they were removed from the school in such a way as they did not know they had a choice.  They were put in an alternative school for the period of time their pregnancy showed.  There was also this highly enforced but not on the books rule that the girls who were mothers were not allowed to walk the halls with their babies.

Why did they have these rules?  Because teen pregnancy and teen motherhood in these kinds of populations is highly contagious.  These girls see other girls being mothers and they want to get pregnant and have their own babies.   I knew alot of these girls and I would say about 60% of the girls got pregnant on a  accident, just sort of hoping they would not get pregnant without using birthcontrol  and about 40% deliberatly got pregnant. 

Girls who dont have a clear vision of their future, educational or career wise and where teen parenthood is prevelant are at serious risk of getting pregnant themselves.  You do want to sort of remove the visual cues that might encourage them to think along these lines. 

I started working at this school when I was 24 years old and that  population, not just the teen moms thought I was  exotic being so old and not having children of my own yet. 

Again, the girls were given alternative schools to attend while they were showing.  The girls that were mothers or not yet showing attended a class at the school in the mornings that centered around child care and teen motherhood issues.  There were abot 50 girls who attended this class. 

I think the idea of removing pregnant girls from the non-pregnant ones is a pretty common practice in many parts of the country. 

A girl I grew up with back in the early 80's got pregnant at 16 and they sent her to alternative school also.  But she stayed until she graduated HS, not just for the pregnant months.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 12:16PM #9
3neez

Aug 10, 2012 -- 8:14PM, Miraj wrote:

Sounds like the work of American Christianists practicing Christianism.

Sounds like someone is spreading the same old falsehoods.

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2012 - 12:17PM #10
3neez

Aug 10, 2012 -- 9:53PM, arielg wrote:

"According to its Student Pregnancy Policy, the school has a right to not only force testing upon girls, but to send them to a physician of the school administration’s choice. A positive test result, or failure to take the test at all, means administrators can forbid a girl from taking classes and force her to pursue a course of home study if she wishes to continue her education with the school"

If this is school policy, it is public knoweledge.  And if nobody has challenged it,  (how come?)  they are just applying their rules. 

Thank you for that.

"The end of beginning is over"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid." - Ricky Gervais

“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook