Post Reply
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Should They Work Harder?
2 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2012 - 8:40PM #1
arielg
Posts: 9,088

The object of the games are to win medals.  Everybody has a strategy  to achieve that aim.  Saving energies in preliminary  games could be a strategy to be more prepared   for more demanding games. Just like  swimers don't apply all they  have until the last laps.

Is that something that should  be penalized ? 
 

  Olympic disqualification for badminton athletes after intentionally losing.


The Olympic Games are a place where athletes are supposed to play for the gold. When several badminton doubles players were not even playing the game because it didn’t matter in the preliminaries, the fans booed the athletes off the stage on Tuesday. Now it has been decided by the governing agency over the sport that the athletes can just go home if they don’t want to play properly.


Eight female badminton doubles players were disqualified Wednesday after attempting to throw the matches to have a more favorable place in the tournament with softer competitors. The decision handed down by the Badminton World Federation made it very clear that the ruling is because the players failed to properly play the game.


www.examiner.com/article/olympic-disqual...


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2012 - 9:26PM #2
mountain_man
Posts: 38,031

I have a life. I could not care less.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2012 - 9:57PM #3
arielg
Posts: 9,088

Yes. I see. A real life posting flipping answers on  Bnet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2012 - 10:32PM #4
mountain_man
Posts: 38,031

Aug 1, 2012 -- 9:57PM, arielg wrote:

Yes. I see. A real life posting flipping answers on  Bnet.


An hour a day to relax. I still have a life. Why should I give a rats ass about badminton? We have here in the USA a large group of Regressives trying to take away the rights of others. I find that far more important than some shuttlecock.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 9:34AM #5
Erey
Posts: 17,301

Gosh, interesting.  I don't know I will have to see some additional oppinions on this topic.  This is out of my sphere.


 


My only smart-ass comment is Badmitton an Olympic sport, Really?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 10:36AM #6
Sigmund
Posts: 1,305

Aug 1, 2012 -- 8:40PM, arielg wrote:


The object of the games are to win medals.  Everybody has a strategy  to achieve that aim.  Saving energies in preliminary  games could be a strategy to be more prepared   for more demanding games. Just like  swimers don't apply all they  have until the last laps.

Is that something that should  be penalized ? 
 

  Olympic disqualification for badminton athletes after intentionally losing.


The Olympic Games are a place where athletes are supposed to play for the gold. When several badminton doubles players were not even playing the game because it didn’t matter in the preliminaries, the fans booed the athletes off the stage on Tuesday. Now it has been decided by the governing agency over the sport that the athletes can just go home if they don’t want to play properly.


Eight female badminton doubles players were disqualified Wednesday after attempting to throw the matches to have a more favorable place in the tournament with softer competitors. The decision handed down by the Badminton World Federation made it very clear that the ruling is because the players failed to properly play the game.


www.examiner.com/article/olympic-disqual...



Absolutely this is something that should be penalized. It is dishonest and lacks integrity. It is a VERY short step from throwing games for your own benefit to throwing games for someone elses.


Also, this is not the same as swimmers saving their energy for the last laps of their race so they can finish strong. They aren't throwing the race when they do that. Note that in the story, the disqualified teams weren't "saving their energy", they deliberately weren't playing the game properly so that they could have an easier opponent later.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 10:49AM #7
Erey
Posts: 17,301

I have heard that atheletes do their best before the big competition to be as inactive as possible to save energy for the big moment.   So this is a valid strategy the team came up with.


I think where the Olympic committee has a case is obviously this is not respecting the Olympic competition.  This is not being respectful of the process. 


 


In short, I don't think the badmitton team should have been honest about it. 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 11:32AM #8
TemplarS
Posts: 6,235

You know, this reminds me of the New York Giants in 2008.


The last week of the season, they had clinched a playoff spot, and were playing the undefeated New England Patriots in a game which meant nothing to them.  A lot of people were saying that coach Tom Coughlin should rest his players for the playoffs. Coughlin said nuts to that, we play to win. The Giants played hard and ended up losing by a few points; but they made a statement, and convinced people (including themselves) that they could play against this supposed super-team.   


A month or so later they beat those same Pats in the Super Bowl.


At the highest level of sports you don't turn high performance on and off. You start doing that, you don't survive at the highest level for long.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 11:41AM #9
Sigmund
Posts: 1,305

Aug 2, 2012 -- 10:49AM, Erey wrote:

I have heard that atheletes do their best before the big competition to be as inactive as possible to save energy for the big moment.   So this is a valid strategy the team came up with.


I think where the Olympic committee has a case is obviously this is not respecting the Olympic competition.  This is not being respectful of the process. 


In short, I don't think the badmitton team should have been honest about it. 



The problem with this idea is that the Olympics IS the big moment. You don't go to the Olympics and then not play your best on purpose. Also, these teams weren't playing easy and still trying to win, which I can at least understand. They were playing to LOSE.


It's also interesting that you think deception is OK in this situation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2012 - 12:14PM #10
arielg
Posts: 9,088

Deception or strategy are in the eyes of the beholder. They play to win.  The noble ideal of sports just as a game has gone a long time ago. The medals is what is all about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook