Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 11:31AM #1
Jcarlinbn
www.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/opinion/time-...

Former spouses are often required to pay alimony; former cohabiting partners may have to pay palimony; why not ask men who conceive with a woman to whom they are not married to pay “preglimony”? Alternatively, we might simply encourage preglimony through the tax code, by allowing pregnancy-support payments to be deductible (which is how alimony is treated).

Has the time for this come?

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 11:39AM #2
teilhard

It's called, "Child Support" ...

Jul 7, 2012 -- 11:31AM, Jcarlinbn wrote:

Former spouses are often required to pay alimony; former cohabiting partners may have to pay palimony; why not ask men who conceive with a woman to whom they are not married to pay “preglimony”? Alternatively, we might simply encourage preglimony through the tax code, by allowing pregnancy-support payments to be deductible (which is how alimony is treated).

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 11:59AM #3
JCarlin

Jul 7, 2012 -- 11:39AM, teilhard wrote:

Child support starts at birth.  This is talking about support for a pregnant unmarried woman by the conception partner.  Is there only one sinner until birth?

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 12:08PM #4
teilhard

I think it's a good Idea, personally ...

But, aside from a VERY invasive and potentially dangerous Test in Utero, I don't know how "Paternity" could be demonstrated in Court ...

Jul 7, 2012 -- 11:59AM, JCarlin wrote:

Jul 7, 2012 -- 11:39AM, teilhard wrote:

Child support starts at birth.  This is talking about support for a pregnant unmarried woman by the conception partner.  Is there only one sinner until birth?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2012 - 2:06PM #5
JCarlin

Jul 7, 2012 -- 12:08PM, teilhard wrote:

But, aside from a VERY invasive and potentially dangerous Test in Utero, I don't know how "Paternity" could be demonstrated in Court ...

As noted in the article a routine maternal blood draw can show fetal DNA from which paternity can be determined. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 5:45AM #6
shmuelgoldstein

Maybe.

But if so, then that father gets a say in what happens with the child.

In other words, if the mother wants to abort, he should be able to veto that.

Otherwise, stay out of his wallet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 9:38AM #7
arielg

No. If you want the priviledges and advantages, you follow the proper channels and get married.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 2:06PM #8
mytmouse57

IMO, from a man's perspective, as long as your Little Private Ryan is firing live rounds, you should be prepared for the responsiblities of a pregnancy -- and be mindful of that every time you send Little Private Ryan up the beach.

From a woman's perspective, same thing, unless one, the other or both of you have been "fixed," be prepared for the possible consequences.

And no, "birth control" isn't always effective. I know children who were concived when both the man and woman were using birth control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 2:38PM #9
mytmouse57

Jul 8, 2012 -- 9:38AM, arielg wrote:

No. If you want the priviledges and advantages, you follow the proper channels and get married.

I agree. But that would require maturity, responsibility and sacrifice.

Heaven forbid.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2012 - 7:39PM #10
Ebon

why not ask men who conceive with a woman to whom they are not married to pay “preglimony”? Alternatively, we might simply encourage preglimony through the tax code, by allowing pregnancy-support payments to be deductible (which is how alimony is treated).

I presume the rationale for this is to compensate women for the time they are unable to work due to their pregnancy, yes? If so, I can see a problem straight away. While this is unnecessary for those in a committed relationship, there's no way to prove paternity prior to birth, AFAIK. The other problem is that the amount of time a woman has to be off work due to pregnancy varies wildly by occupation and by individual. Some women might be able to work right up until the day before they give birth while others may have difficult pregnancies and be unable to work for months prior to the birth.

I'm also wary of putting all the responsibility for a pregnancy on the male. It takes two to cause a pregnancy (barring truly horrible crimes) and responsibility should be shared.

EDIT: I see that it IS possible to determine paternity prior to birth. I did not know that.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook